Skip to main content

What is best technique for spraying background paint on Super-Charged Hood Badge

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Oct 2020 13:48 #41150 by AuburnNut
Thanks Curt, Mike, John....on your suggestions. Sounds time consuming .......just like everything thing else on these cars. It’s lucky I love them otherwise I’d of given up 2 years ago.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
11 Oct 2020 13:07 #41149 by Curt Schulze
To the best of my knowledge, the supercharged hood script is chrome plated zinc diecast (pot metal) . The last set I did, I painted the top of the letters with grease then sprayed the background with body color.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, AuburnNut

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Oct 2020 18:11 #41148 by mikespeed35
There is special metal prep for Alum. I did 67 Corvette bolt on wheels that have unpainted fins. I put a small coating of WD40 on fins and then painted the whole wheel. I then took a finger nail and just scraped the paint off the fins. Worked good . Had the fins already polished before the paint.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
10 Oct 2020 16:08 #41147 by johnmereness
Zinc Chromate primer or some primer meant to stick to aluminum is a good start.

JMM

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Oct 2020 15:46 #41144 by AuburnNut
I have two Super_Charged badges that go onto the sides of the hood but they are unfinished. I understand the letters themselves should be a polished metal finish and the background of the badge is supposed to be painted the body paint color. My question is, what is the best technique to paint the badge? Do I have to meticulously mask each letter to avoid paint getting on each letter.......or is it better to paint the entire badge with body paint, and then sand the face of the letters by rubbing the entire badge surface on a perfectly flat bit of sandpaper to carefully sand the paint off the surface of the letters which obviously bulge out ......using that technique I would progressively use finer sandpapers until it appeared highly polished.....then I would clearcoat the entire badge.

Which technique is better.....or is there an alternative approach. I'm looking to hear from club members that have actually done this so I can learn from them. Many thanks