Skip to main content

1936 cabriolet SC

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2020 23:27 #41040 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1936 cabriolet SC
Agreed with a thermostat is REQUIRED for several reasons.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2020 22:11 #41038 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 1936 cabriolet SC
Yes, Curt is correct, though on a nice spring or fall day I will run a few degrees under 180, so I like that via a 160 verses forcing it to 180 - and also like the longer warm up period. When I do for example the parade at ACD Festival, I like it taking longer to get to 180 as well.

Sidenote: Logic to what I just said would be that even better with no thermostat, but in actuality the thermostat is also a flow restrictor, so while a car without one my heat up more slowly, it can get you into trouble quicker on the hot end as there is a magic formula for amount of time water needs to stay in a radiator verses speed and .... (aka THERMOSTAT REALLY IS NEEDED)

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2020 14:33 #41035 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1936 cabriolet SC
Remember the difference between 160 & 180 thermostat is ONLY the temp that it opens., not the ultimate running temp of the engine. Those engines will run just fine at higher temps.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2020 03:47 #41032 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1936 cabriolet SC
Is the dist. advancing the engine timing as it should? No advance, hot engine.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2020 17:22 - 21 Sep 2020 17:23 #41028 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 1936 cabriolet SC
Thermostat could be the issue - I would run a 160 verses the traditional 180. Also, I drill a little hole in the housing edge to prevent any air pockets. Also, if someone takes the thermostat out then you may get yourself into problems when driving under load and ... - it is a flow restrictor. Make sure the fan is on the right way. If you have a honneycomb radiator then .... Original heads are also suspect as are possible blown headgaskets. Timing is important. And, .... Also, do not add water to a hot engine

JMM
Last edit: 21 Sep 2020 17:23 by johnmereness.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2020 16:24 #41026 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 1936 cabriolet SC
Hi, Paul: Having seen your car while it was at the trim shop, I can assume that the engine is well broken-in, which would eliminate the problem of overheating due to a new tight engine. You might want to check the timing to see if that is a contributing factor. As far as coolant, I found that if the system is filled too high, the coolant will overflow onto the ground, but that won't cause overheating. If you are able, have the radiator flow-checked, as well.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 23:46 #41020 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1936 cabriolet SC
Might try the ignition switch. Tracking down where the power is failing to flow so the car starts every time is painful.

• Pwestphal
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2020 17:49 #41015 by Pwestphal
1936 cabriolet SC was created by Pwestphal
First road trip a Sucess! Drove hour and half to Road America Fall Vintage at speeds up to 60 mph. Overall a sucess....but. Car ran hot, ended up pulling over and adding gallon of water which lowered the temp. Coolant did exit the system through overflow? Could it be my timing that causing it Toruń hot? While my battery did charge nicely, I had problems with Startex. I had to start car once from plunger switch on Startex. I had taken Startex apart a Lea Ed everything up, that seemed to cause variability. Sometimes car starts from ignition switch, sometime not and I need to start from Startex. I have the Startex publication and I will read it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.