Skip to main content

Auburn 680 Generator

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2020 22:25 #40640 by IndycarBruce
Replied by IndycarBruce on topic Auburn 680 Generator
Thanks Mike. I decided to take out the thermostat & resistor combo and use a voltage regulator from Brillman instead. So I routed that wire from the field coil to the F terminal on the regulator. I would have preferred to have a three unit regulator with current regulation, but I couldn’t find one in the 20 amp range. So I kept the third brush. I put in new field coils & had the armature rewound. I hope to test it this week. Thanks again. Bruce Wolfe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2020 19:52 #40637 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Auburn 680 Generator
Please look at ebay item No. 273436112725. It is listed as a "Autolite ignition coil Resistance unit but looks like a Gen. Thermostat that I have seen. While this is a Autolite you might contact the seller to see what else he has. American Vintage Parts is the seller.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2020 05:03 #40492 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Auburn 680 Generator
I have seen thermostats on eBay but can't find any now. Be sure your gen. is not turned up to high. Then they run hot and....
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2020 01:30 #40490 by IndycarBruce
Auburn 680 Generator was created by IndycarBruce
Now I'm rebuilding the generator and water pump. The generator is a Delco-Remy 955-H, 6-Volt positive ground. It has an adjustable third-brush. I bought some new field coils. The armature was shorted so I got it rewound and I should have it back this weekend.

Then there's a thermostat that goes between one of the field coils and grounds to the inside of the housing. I can't find anything about replacing it.

I have wiring diagrams for the generator and the procedure for adjusting the third brush. While Googling for something on the thermostat, I found a Ford Model A forum and guys were talking about converting their generators to have voltage regulators instead of cutouts. In some cases, there are some electronic voltage regulators (EVR's) that replace the third brush on the inside of the housing. But people were talking about two of the guys who make these regulators being extremely hard to contact and locate. So I'm not going with either of those guys' regulators. But I'd like to know if anyone here has done a conversion for an Auburn/ Delco-Remy generator. I don't care if the regulator is external or internal, so long as it works well. With or without the third brush. And if so, does it add an extra layer of protection against burning up the generator if there's a wiring problem? (The coils and armature cost me in excess of $200 and I don't want to do that again.)

Also, any suggestions on what to do about the lack of a thermostat? Bypass it, or modify one from something else?