New Interior for 851/2 replica

• AuburnNut
  • AuburnNut's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
15 May 2019 14:32 - 30 May 2019 12:02 #37212 by AuburnNut
Replied by AuburnNut on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
I forgot to mention that I chose to use leather that is a 100% natural full grain leather. This is the best type of leather you can buy when compared to Leather’s that have a manufactured rolled grain. They are sold in cost per square foot. A typical hide is about 50sq ft. To do my interior, with the pleated design, I am using 3 hides about 55 sq ft each. This will allow enough leather for the interior door and side panels, the seat, and windlacing, plus an amount to bind the edging of the carpet. If you choose the plain seat cushion design I would suggest buying 4 leather hides. As a cheaper alternative you can use a high quality vinyl, but be careful not to go for a thick heavy pattern in the leather as it looks very cheap. Some high quality vinyls are often hard for the untrained eye to distinguish from leather. I do believe that at resale time, the car will be worth more and considered more desirable if it has a leather interior.
Regards Jerome
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:02 by AuburnNut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
15 May 2019 17:36 #37213 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic New Interior for 851/2 replica
To add a little more authenticity put "T" nails in the corners. Not sure how you would attach them though, without wood.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
15 May 2019 20:55 - 30 May 2019 12:02 #37215 by AuburnNut
Mike
Mike. I certainly considered these “T” nails which go into the outer edge of the door in the top corners but decided not to do so for two reasons...
1) I don’t know where to buy them....do you? As it is your suggestion, maybe you do know where to buy them. If so, I’d love to know.
2) they are a nails, and as you say, how do you fix that into fiberglass. The original car’s have a wood frame so that is possible to nail them into the corners.
For the benefit of other members reading this, I am attaching a photo of these “T” nails on an original car. I do this because I would like to have this forum document useful reference info for members restoring their car’s, rather than referring to things that perhaps others may not be aware of.
Thanks Mike for the reference to “T” nails as I had forgotten to highlight that is a feature of the original car’s....albeit small.
Regards Jerome
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:02 by AuburnNut.

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
15 May 2019 20:59 - 30 May 2019 12:03 #37216 by AuburnNut
Here is a photo of the T nail
Regards Jerome
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:03 by AuburnNut.

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
15 May 2019 22:09 - 30 May 2019 12:03 #37217 by AuburnNut
This photo is of an apparently original car with a redone interior. The car sports a badge on the dashboard that is from Villa D’Este, a very prestigious concourse event held in Italy. Yet the car has a few features on the door cards that differ to what I built and differ to other apparently original cars. This is always the challenge in restoration, finding what is truly original as a reference point. I attach some highlighted differences below, and attach another reference photo from another original car in a later post below.
Regards Jerome
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:03 by AuburnNut.

• AuburnNut
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
15 May 2019 22:14 - 30 May 2019 12:04 #37218 by AuburnNut
Here is another reference photo which is good for referencing the original door card ( and seat pattern that we will get to later). This photo was generously forwarded to me by another ACD club member and is apparently of an absolutely original speedster interior. Given this, I based my door card closer to this original interior. If you are reading this, and planning to redo your own interior, you will need to make judgements over these features and what you are seeking to replicate
Regards Jerome
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2019 12:04 by AuburnNut.

Time to create page: 0.422 seconds