Skip to main content

Auburn replicas - Something to help the new purchaser out

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
05 Apr 2019 01:20 #36945 by uconn_1965
Hi Curt:Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not overly familiar with Auburns but I did see a couple of Glen Pray speedster replica's that were modified with Cord
vents that operated and opened and closed. I just surmised that the speedsters and cord were the same.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
04 Apr 2019 21:13 #36944 by Curt Schulze
Auburn speedster covers are different than 810-812 cords. . If you want them to operate, the 'drain pan ' on the inside is the hard part. PM me if you have an interest.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
04 Apr 2019 19:43 #36943 by uconn_1965
I could be mistaken but I believe the late auburn speedsters used the same cowl vents as the 1936-37 cords, I have seen these fabricated into fiberglass speedsters.

• AuburnNut
  • Registered
More
04 Apr 2019 11:50 #36940 by AuburnNut
Mike. I’m not aware of any replica that has original style cowl vents as standard. If you know of any I’d love to know. If you are building a replica then it wouldn’t be too hard to add an early ford cowl vent as an attempt to replicate the original.....certainly a nice feature and useful to keep you cool

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2019 18:18 #36439 by Curt Schulze
If you have questions if reference to Auburn speedsters , go to the website auburnsmidwest.com Do a contact us and leave your phone number . I'll give you a call and talk your ear off about auburn speedsters.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2019 06:24 #36438 by mikespeed35
Yes. gas cap on pass. side on orig.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
12 Jan 2019 21:51 #36435 by gregleck
I'm looking at a number of replicas which are for sale right now.
One thing I have yet to find is a replica which has the supercharger pipes on the driver's side only - all have either two, three, or four pipes on both driver and passenger sides. And I believe only the Glenn Pray models have functional pipes.

I was told the original Auburn speedster had the gas cap on the passenger side, but the GP has it on the driver's side.

Then there convertible tops which are completely removed, as well as some which are attached to the body and fold away. Driving lights and fog lights differ in size and shape as well.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2018 02:34 #35510 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Auburn replicas - Something to help the new purchaser out
Dear Sir: The first thing I would do is contact Felix DeGeyter at Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. For years he was Glenn Pray's right hand man and is very well informed on Auburn replicars. His E-mail is [email protected] and his cell phone is Area 918/812-4070. Good luck with your search.

• mjnoe
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2018 19:44 #35489 by mjnoe
Good day, thanks to you all who have taken the time to reach out to me so far. We have our eyes on a Glenn Pray '73 generation 2 and I wanted to confirm a few points so I know it is actually that and not another replica make.

The things I believe I can check to help confirm it would include:
1) the gas cap is on the drivers side
2) there are only 4 exhaust pipes, 2 per side and they are functional, not cosmetic
3) they all used a Ford v8 motor of the same era.

Is there anything else I could look for to confirm? Stamps or paperwork I should ask for or review?

• mjnoe
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2018 11:44 #35482 by mjnoe
Thanks a ton, we may just do that when we are going to be in Chicago. I do appreciate the offer.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2018 17:42 #35470 by ilikescars
You are welcome to take a look at my original speedster if you are in the Chicago area.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Sep 2018 04:13 #35361 by mikespeed35
There are two vents on a Auburn Speedster between the windshield and the hood on the cowl.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• mjnoe
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Sep 2018 00:40 #35360 by mjnoe
Thanks Mike, I have tried to figure out what these are on an Auburn Speedster but I just get many pictures of some nice looking Auburns. Can you help me to know what the Cowl Vent is and where it is on an Auburn to look for it?

• mjnoe
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Sep 2018 00:35 #35359 by mjnoe
Thanks Curt, but this is exactly the type of answer I want but with some teeth behind it. How would I know as a new person to this type of purchase which are better or poor quality? Please put some details in here that others and myself can use to make sure we are headed the right direction. Likely some kits are better than others. Some may be preferred. Each person will have to take the risk to reward in to account but also the availability. I can and will email you but I am hopeful we can get some of these types of things in a thread to help more than just me as we all seem to be on the same quest.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2018 23:27 #35357 by Curt Schulze
Send me an email : [email protected]

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2018 21:00 #35354 by mikespeed35
When someone buys one be sure it has cowl vents. Otherwise you are in for a very HOT ride.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S, Nokit1955

• mjnoe
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2018 19:35 - 05 Sep 2018 19:45 #35353 by mjnoe
So like many on here I have recently found a love for the Auburn speedster. However, like most, the issue of both cost and availability of the original would make owning one pretty darned tough. I did look through some past entries in this forum touching on the same thing but the answers leave a lot to be desired. It seems to me that one post with some very helpful responses may be something that could help a lot of newer members out and have it documented a little bit with notes and even pictures of some correct or more importantly incorrect replication items.

This website, www.auburnspeedsters.com/specifications.htm , has some original information on the 35/36 Speedster, but it may be missing some important things for those of us just getting in to this. One of my biggest fears is buying a replica which is not true to the original in configuration and dimensions. For example, I'll attach a couple pictures that show my concern on one replica I have that I do not believe the grill/front end dimensions are correct. While the car in general does look correct that gives it an off look to me but is it really off? Without the correct information it is hard to know what is or is not correct.

www.auburnspeedsters.com/auburn_speedster_manufacturers.htm has a list of manufacturers (current and past) and I'm sure each has possibly some benefits and maybe faults. When looking at these makes, other than an original or Glenn Pray version, what other of the manufacturers stand out and for what reasons good or bad? One reason I ask this is, like the originals, the Glenn Pray versions are more expensive and also just harder to find available. In the end this may still be the way to go, but I think there is a lot of options, each with good and bad. One person may want something to collect to resell where as another may want the most durable every weekend cruiser.

On the pictures, the one looks possibly shorter and wider than the other. I actually do not know which would be more true to form, though normally my impression is the grill is the thinner one.

Other things I see many times different on the cars is where the gas cap is and how many exhaust pipes are present and on each side as well as where they enter the fender or body. I know that in most new replicas they are not functional but that does not mean it shouldn't be done correctly.
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Sep 2018 19:45 by mjnoe.