Skip to main content

New Glenn Pray 8/10 Owner

• clydester
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2007 22:43 #6526 by clydester
Replied by clydester on topic New Glenn Pray 8/10 Owner
I don't know if this info still holds true but....my Dad was into Corvair Spyders and years ago belonged to the Chicago area chapter of the Corvair Club. The General Motors technical Institute in Hillside, Illinois, let them use their facility for meetings. Many of the tech engineers were also Corvair guys and their knowledge was quite an asset to the club members.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kennonb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2007 01:10 #6516 by kennonb
Replied by kennonb on topic New Glenn Pray 8/10 Owner
Good news for those of us with 8/10s - Cal Clark of Clark's Corvair has acquired a whole bunch of 8/10 Cord parts and has listed them all together in a new catalog, could be a great resource. He's trying to find out which are most sought-after so he can consider reproductions; check his website ( www.corvair.com ) and let him know what you're looking for - he's either got it or will consider making it.

Kennonb

• Greg Riley
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2007 23:52 #6254 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic Looking for more 8/10's Info
Glenn had promised me access to all of his blueprints and literature. I simply haven't had the time to travel to Tulsa. I'm going to make getting this book done a priority this spring.

I would love picture of any 8/10's or even the later V-8 powered cars. If you are interested in seeing your car in print contact me with any information you are willing to share.

I made this same offer on my Corv-8 book (mid-engine V-8 powered Corvair) and got a great response.

I'm working on a major update to my web site and plan to feature several 8/10's.
Greg

Greg Riley

• Hal Klassen
  • Registered
More
10 Jan 2007 04:37 #6159 by Hal Klassen
Replied by Hal Klassen on topic New Glenn Pray 8/10
I'm blushing, Ace, thanks for the kind words. After all those years of ownership it's a pleasure to find an enthusiast willing to keep an old Cord and pour the love and $$$ into it . Ace has a web site well worth visiting, with pictures of his Art Deco cars and more. [acecollins.com].
My interest in the Cord goes back to the 40s when I saw my first one up close. Made everything else look dated. My first collector car was a 1941 Graham Hollywood, which I restored and sold to finance the 1936.
I guess I've now owned 3 eras of Cords [only 2 FWD]
Hal

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
10 Jan 2007 02:45 #6157 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic New Glenn Pray 8/10 Owner
Hal is very generous with his words. He had the mechanics on the 810 I bought from him in great shape, all I am doing is a bit freshening -- paint and interior. Mr. Klassen is a class act and I am fortunate to have bought my 36 from this fine man. You all with 8/10s are lucky to have him with your group!

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• Hal Klassen
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2007 22:30 #6153 by Hal Klassen
Ken, I think I just had bad luck with mine. My car was in Alaska for most of it's life and came with a thrashed Station Wagon-Van engine. I put in a supposedly "good" engine [you're right it's a pile of work] Next I bought a 63 Coupe with a 140 HP rebuilt by a helicopter mechanic and I can't get the rings to seat [smokes up hill or down]
I'm getting too old and grumpy to take it apart again, so it gets very little use now---just short trips with the top down.
Of interest to 8/10 owners Clark's Corvair parts had some NOS steering boxes left over from the Cord Factory--get one as internal parts are not available.
Hal. My 1936 Cord [owned for 35 years] is being restored by the new owner Ace Collins [on the 810-812 forum]

• kennonb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 22:06 #6152 by kennonb
Hal: I had a '66 'vair in the late 60's and it got me all over the country - all I had to do was feed it a lot of oil. But one of my first moves when I knew I was finally going to get an 8/10 was to contact my local Corvair Club and sign up with CORSA. They are all very interested in seeing the car and helping keep it going, so should the engine become a challenge, I at least know who to call locally. Someday I may have the engine removed (heard that is not at all easy) and enhanced, but hope I will be able to put many miles on it before then. One fellow I met in OK said the earlier 'vair engines were better; as time went by they got sloppy and a lot of the cast passages can be found with flashing and junk in them - gotta rod em out, etc. So there's lots of knowledge out there; just need to find it when I need it.

• Hal Klassen
  • Registered
More
09 Jan 2007 21:53 #6151 by Hal Klassen
Hi, Not to worry, that bearing was fine on my car. It's the inside one as I recall and gets plenty of grease. I replaced the outer one while I had it apart and it was an "off the shelf item" I took my C-Vs to a local rebuilder and they were back the next day, and very reasonable.
There are a few minor items on these cars which, if Glenn had been given the 6 Mo. he needed, would have been corrected.
I think we are very fotunate to have Felix interested in forming the group and if he gets the paperwork done, I'd love a copy.
The only real problem I have had is with the engine----they weren't that great in the 60s and they have not gotten better with time [grin]
Hal

• kennonb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Jan 2007 18:47 #6149 by kennonb
Hal: Well, as someone who is awaiting their 8/10 and filling his head with things to worry about in anticipation, this is just a little bit worrisome. I'm not much of a mechanic, so the idea of custom-making C-V joint bearings gives me pause. But my car, being very low mileage, is supposed to be mechanically very solid, so I'm hopeful this is just long range info for future reference. As to an owner's manual/parts list, Felix tells me he provided the shop doing my restoration with some 40 pages of 8/10 info that has been assembled over the years. I hope to get a copy of that and would be happy to share with you, Greg and others. Oh, there's a guy advertising in the current Hemmings that says he can find most any Citroen part....

Ken Baldwin #48

• Hal Klassen
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2007 21:55 #6137 by Hal Klassen
Replied by Hal Klassen on topic New Glenn Pray 8/10 Owner
Greg, I wish you well on your plan for a book on the 8/10. A valuable resource is talking to Glenn, I asked him if he ever got around to writing an owner's manual and parts source list and he said it was on his desk ready for the printer when the roof caved in [it went in the garbage]. I asked about the C-V joints, and he laughed, One of the bearings is from about a 1939 Citroen and not available. It can be made by modifying a standard bearing. When I got my car the headlite system was in the trunk and he explained the balls and spring clutch system, so I got them working. [it took longer than 2 weeks though]
Hal Klassen #89

• Greg Riley
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2007 17:26 #6091 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic New Glenn Pray 8/10 Owner
I'm sure the car in Houston is the one Felix mentioned. Josh Malks who is the moderater of the 810/812 page on this site has been working on a book on all of Glenn's exploits. He certainly knows more than I!

I have a large number of 8/10's pictures. I'll try and post some to this site today or tomorrow.

Greg Riley

• kennonb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Jan 2007 17:23 #6090 by kennonb
Replied by kennonb on topic 8/10 in Texas?
Greg: As soon as I send both CORSA and ACD my dues, I will be another Corvair/ACD cross-over; we are certainly a rare breed and it's the 8/10s that bring us together. Felix Degeyter told me of an 8/10 he knows of in Texas - may be the same car? You might want to contact Felix - he can be reached via the Glenn Pray web site. Can't say what the general market would be for your book on Glenn and the 8/10s but I know I would sure buy it. I've been researching a bit, found three Automobile Quarterly articles from 62 - 63 (are there more?), as well as articles in R&T and Motor Trend from the same era. Believe there was another book underway that I heard about via Felix; maybe it's yours. Certainly the DVD "Pray's Passion" is a most valuable resource. If you get your book going again, I would suggest it include LOTS of photos; it's hard to find very many images of these beautiful cars, which may be one of the reasons they are not very well know.

• Greg Riley
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jan 2007 04:45 #6085 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic I'm a Corvair Guy and an ACD guy
There in another 8/10's in Houston I might try and track down. As a rabid Corvair guy and ACD guy (unusual combination, don't ya think) this might be the perfect car for me.

I had begun research for a book on the 8/10's but got stalled out. Is there any interest if I finish it?
Greg

Greg Riley

• kennonb
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 Dec 2006 18:55 #5981 by kennonb
New Glenn Pray 8/10 Owner was created by kennonb
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Glenn Pray 8/10 which is currently being restored in Oklahoma. Felix DeGeyter found the car for me and has been an amazing resource. The car is #48 and has the 180 hp turbocharged engine and a 4 speed. Original owner was in Georgia; the car got a gas tank leak in '72 so was stored since then so only has 8,400 miles on it. Cosmetics suffered from the garage years thus the restoration. I would enjoy sharing info with others who know and admire Glen's 8/10s. I have been interested in the ACD posts regarding these "second genertion" Pray cars, have seen "Pray's Passion" and met Glenn in Broken Arrow at the show this year. I am hopeful that the ACD organization continues their progress towards formal recognition of Glenn's cars.