Hello and Wire Wheels

More
23 Jun 2022 14:20 - 23 Jun 2022 21:38 #45587 by AuburnNut
Replied by AuburnNut on topic Hello and Wire Wheels
Pat…I completely agree. This is a classic example of modifying the right part to accept original components as opposed to trying to convert to original Auburn components un-necessarily. In this example, the bolt pattern of the nuts holding the wheel on the replica are 5 x 4.5. And the new rim you buy should have that bolt pattern in my opinion…I do not know the original bolt pattern for an original Auburn - no one has told us that measurement yet……someone like Curt or Mike should provide that info if they can. I imagine it is most likely an uncommon size and will therefore increase the cost of creating the wheel look you want. A 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern is a common Ford lug nut spacing (like on my replica). So it will be quite easy to buy a wire wheel with that specification. Usually the wheel diameter is 15 inch, which matches most replicas. Another consideration is the wheel offset.
But in my mind the big issue is, how do you get a center cap in the wheel that can accept a center cap that has the beautiful “Auburn 8” logo stamped into it. That logo is hard to find. No doubt Curt has a beautiful reproduction of that stamping on a center cap. His attention to detail on other parts have been superb (in my opinion). So if he sells that center cap (as shown in your photos), we need to have a measurement of the diameter of the center cap, along with the diameter of the raised section that snaps into the center part of a standard auburn wheel. This will tell us if an adapter is required to be machined…..I have a feeling that willbe required.
Curt….can you provide the dimensions of any center hubcap you sell?
Last edit: 23 Jun 2022 21:38 by AuburnNut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pfree3233

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2022 15:59 #45588 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Hello and Wire Wheels
I went out and checked, I have a set of 8 cylinder wire wheels.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Szilard
  • Topic Author
More
23 Jun 2022 19:26 #45589 by Szilard
Replied by Szilard on topic Hello and Wire Wheels
I agree to choose a set of wheels with ford pattern. It is a 2nd gen anyways so it would be a waste to try to put original wheels on it. What counts for me is the look and for that I would like to combine the wheels with Auburn hubcaps. I am ok to proceed with any wheel that is of good quality and the right look. Can be Dayton, Wheel Smith…

Curt, what was the result of your measuring - if you would like to share. I am happy to call you alternatively..

Thanks
Szilard

More
23 Jun 2022 21:29 #45590 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic Hello and Wire Wheels
I bought mine from Glenn Pray. and made a custom adaptor to fit my modern axles. Keep in mind if you have original wheels the opening where the axle pokes through has the center stamped in reverse of a modern car for helping locate rim on axle, your adapter needs to have a recess machined . The Auburn bolt pattern is 5-1/2 Inch bolt circle @ 72 degrees separation. I used a 1974 Monte Carlo rear and front with 4-3/4 bolt pattern 36 degree offset from the Auburns pattern.. I have a drawing of what I made and will try to post if anyone is interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AuburnNut

More
23 Jun 2022 23:26 #45591 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Hello and Wire Wheels
A set of 4 , 34-36 eight cylinder wire wheels in very good condition 5.5 bolt pattern.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Szilard
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jun 2022 12:45 #45592 by Szilard
Replied by Szilard on topic Hello and Wire Wheels
Thanks to all of you! I decided to order 4.5 bolt pattern new wire wheels and try to adapt the Auburn Hubcaps to them.
I will keep you updated and am happy about the great support here!
Szilard

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds