Skip to main content

Looking for Replica Auburn Speedster owners with straight 8 engines eg Buick

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
14 Jan 2021 02:17 #41922 by pfree3233

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2021 14:49 - 13 Jan 2021 22:52 #41920 by AuburnNut
Pat. Thanks for your reply. I’d love to see a photo(s) of your car.
Can I also ask that you give me the dimensions of your 1950 Buick engine, from the crankshaft pulley to the other side...where it mates to the transmission. Hope that’s not too much trouble. Your car project sounds fantastic.
Kind regards Jerome
Last edit: 13 Jan 2021 22:52 by AuburnNut.

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
13 Jan 2021 01:54 #41918 by pfree3233
Hi Jerome,
I'm currently building a speedster with a Buick Straight 8, actually building a Duesy speedster and have plenty of room under the hood. I'm using the 263 cu in from 1950. I'm sure the Buick would fit in the auburn engine bay. I was also able to adapt a late model T5 manual overdrive trans to the motor. Anything is possible.
Pat

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Jan 2021 19:14 #41914 by AuburnNut
There are a range of reasons why I would not at this stage consider any Lycoming engine.
1) The acquisition costs are high compared to alternatives
2) availability of Lycoming engines are scarce compared to the alternatives
3) The rebuild costs for an original Lycoming engine are very high. I'm also not sure about parts availability
4) As discussed on this forum I have read that there are only a few people in the country that are properly skilled in rebuilding these engines.
5) If I buy a Lycoming engine I would most probably have to mate it to an auburn manual gearbox....more cost and availability is unknown. If I mated it to a more common tremec manual gearbox then adapter plates need to be made and that leads to more cost. I would also have to install a clutch pedal and rearrange the position of the pedals......more cost.
6) There are no options for the lycoming engine to mate to an automatic gearboxes. Some other straight 8 engines have adapter plates on the shelf which connect to standard common chevy auto transmissions that are already fitted to many existing speedsters. This makes installation more cost competitive
7) The financial metrics of investments into replica cars necessitate a more careful approach to any financial outlay. Obviously, when an original speedster needs engine work, an investment of $30k to rebuild an engine makes sense when the car is worth $600k to $850K. It does not make sense with a replica, when the difference in price between a replica with a modern engine versus a replica with an old style engine largely doesn't exist.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
11 Jan 2021 18:34 #41913 by Curt Schulze
Why don't you install an original Auburn engine ?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Jan 2021 15:09 #41911 by AuburnNut
Looking to get in touch with any replica owners that have installed a straight 8 engine into their Speedster replica. I'm trying to learn which straight 8 motors have been successfully transplanted into the engine bay. I'd love to know what modifications were required to make the engine fit. Obviously the dimensions of some straight 8 motors are too big to fit in the engine bay without major firewall modification. I think an early 1950s Packard straight 8 might be a case in point......its possible but its difficult. I'm looking for easier options, so dimensions of the motor are important, along with mating it to a suitable transmission. For those that ask why do it......the reason being considered is to have an engine that looks more period correct and is closer in look to the original straight 8 Lycoming engine.

Many thanks Jerome