Skip to main content

Looking for owners of Elegant Motors Auburn Speedsters

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2021 16:46 - 08 Jan 2021 17:05 #41905 by AuburnNut
That’s great.
You might like to know that I was previously in touch with the owner of the Glenn Pray car you bought...very nice car. I have lots of photos of it and previously analyzed further things that could be done to that car to make it more authentic.
Regards
Jerome
Last edit: 08 Jan 2021 17:05 by AuburnNut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JohnBlacky
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2021 16:38 #41904 by JohnBlacky
yes, I also acquired the Glenn Pray Auburn. We are welcome to get in touch directly, but we have to deal with the delay.

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Jan 2021 16:17 - 08 Jan 2021 17:04 #41903 by AuburnNut
That’s great news. I really look forward to that. Did you also buy the 1 of 17 Glenn Pray speedster recently. I think I saw your post on that.
Many thanks Jerome
Last edit: 08 Jan 2021 17:04 by AuburnNut.

• JohnBlacky
  • Visitor
08 Jan 2021 16:10 #41902 by JohnBlacky
Hello, I have this Auburn from Elegant Motors www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/vehicles/680/19...2-boattail-speedster . I'm happy to help, but have to wait a few more weeks until the vehicle is with me. I can then help out with photos.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 02:31 #41525 by Curt Schulze
I am in error, I am thinking of California Custom Coach. Sorry guys !

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 01:21 #41524 by AuburnNut
Pete
You are absolutely right. Elegant Motors was based in Indianapolis and was started in the mid 1970’s by Del Amy and Dick Passwater. Apart from Glenn Pray they were probably the most successful replica maker of the period and I would argue more accurate than mainstream Glenn Pray replicas.

I’m not sure who Curt was thinking about,but I don’t believe it was Elegant Motors

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 00:25 #41523 by Curt Schulze
To the best of my knowledge Pete, one( red) was sold to a rock star in Washington the other (black) was in the possession of the company owner.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
19 Nov 2020 00:03 #41521 by pete kelly
There must have been more than 1 Elegant Motors.
The 1 I knew was in Indianapolis for many years.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2020 22:33 #41520 by Curt Schulze
Elegant Motors started out in California, then moved to Ohio. No cars were
produced there. The business was bought and moved to Texas a number of years ago. Those folks has hi hopes. I sold them a lot of parts for future production. They folded after producing two cars. The husband and wife team moved to New York. All of that stuff is still in Texas. Maybe contact club member Mark Tyra, he may know how to contact them.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• AuburnNut
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Nov 2020 19:04 #41518 by AuburnNut
Hi
I am continuing to restore my Elegant Motors Auburn Boattail Speedster. I have a range of questions I'd like to ask an existing owner of one of these cars about how things were assembled. For example, I have a range of questions concerning the convertible top mechanism and its fitment. I would very much like to discuss these questions with a fellow club member who owns an Elegant Motors speedster replica. If you do have such a car, could you please send me your contact details.

I have been a contributor to this forum already having done a number of posts throughout the years.....you will see a listing by myself about restoring the interior of a speedster which has been very popular. I also have gained extensive expertise on installing bumper bars to these cars and have collected a lot of sales literature. I am very happy to share with fellow enthusiasts. I am nearing the end of a 2 year restoration on my car
Attachments: