Skip to main content

Trickle charger

• annejones101
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2020 17:15 #39774 by annejones101
Can you please be a little more clear about your query?

As I am not able to understand it properly? vidmateapp.vin vlc.vin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2020 19:55 #39557 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Trickle charger
I have two six volt Optimas which I interchange on my Cord. I charge them every two weeks or so (out of the car with a regular charger). If I am not driving the car for a week or so, then I remove the battery.
Not so with my ‘64 Corvette. Oh, so you want to remove the battery in your mid-year? The joke is: first remove the engine! I just disconnect both leads.
On the Optimas, I magic marker the build date on the side, and buy new after 5 years, or it fails, whichever comes first.
Tim.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2019 05:23 #38787 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Trickle charger
I charge all my battery's about three times a winter. All my lead acid battery's charge up in about one or two hours. My son has a car at my house with a Optima battery and to charge that it takes 8 or 10 hours. My battery's usually show 80 or 90 % charge when I start. His Optima shows 6% charge.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
04 Nov 2019 21:30 #38785 by gnutting
Replied by gnutting on topic Trickle charger
I've also read of a fire caused by a trickle charger, info from an insurance company, as I recall, don't remember which one. So, I'm with Mike and Tim, I never would leave a trickle charger hooked up to a car, very bad idea. To prevent your battery from discharging overwinter or whenever you are not using the car, install a battery cutoff. If there is no circuit, the electricity won't get out. What, then, is the "problem" to which the trickle charger is the solution? And with a battery cut-off, you won't have the danger of a short in the system. So unhook the 6 volt electric connection to save the battery, don't hook the house current's 120 volts to it.

jack triplett

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2019 05:39 #38725 by johnmereness
As to Optima's I think they would work well on a trickle charger - they key though is to never let one get too far run down (if so I think you have to charge one through another one or take it to a battery dealer). I love the weight of an optima (you can carry in one hand) and the only place I found them not really good was with cars stored in Packard Museum where too much starting and too little distance/running time seemed to be an issue.

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2019 05:33 - 29 Oct 2019 05:34 #38724 by johnmereness
I use a 6 volt optima too and also keep an extra in the trunk (in a plastic bin)- I do have to charge the extra on occasion due to lack of use, but when you see me charge it you may ask why a battery is sitting on a 2 x 6 in the middle of the concrete garage floor with nothing around it (I will admit I leave it unattended to a point, but always am not too far away and never leave it on a car overnight or if I stray too far away).

JMM
Last edit: 29 Oct 2019 05:34 by johnmereness.

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2019 17:14 #38690 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Trickle charger
Interesting. I've used NOCO trickle chargers on Optima 6V batteries for years. I sometimes leave them on for days at a time and have never had a problem. Have I just been lucky so far? Maybe I should start checking them more often and removing when charging is complete.

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2019 15:51 #38684 by Tim Gilmartin
I agree with Mike. Don’t use a trickle charger unless you are present to watch it. I don’t use one.
I use Optima 6 volt batteries. I’ve heard they don’t charge well on a trickle charger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2019 22:29 #38676 by mikespeed35
I never have a battery charger on a battery unless I am in the garage with it. Definitely no trickle chargers for the above reason.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2019 11:06 #38670 by Thomas Wilcock
On the Antique Motorcycle Club of America forum 1 or 2 years ago one of the members had a trickle charger/battery tender connected to the battery in one of his antique motorcycles. During the night it caught on fire and he lost his garage and everything in it. The cause of the fire apparently was the trickle charger. I don't know what brand it was but I will try to find out.
Tom

• johnsmith101
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
22 Oct 2019 09:26 - 28 Nov 2019 13:47 #38658 by johnsmith101
I've looked at these two so far, the Allpowers seem to have a higher watt output, but the NOCO seem to use amorphous film which would be better as we don't get alot of direct sun where I live.
As with anything you get what you pay for, so I'm wondering if any of you guys have any recommendations? Any brands to avoid, best product for the price etc 9apps apk cartoon hd
Last edit: 28 Nov 2019 13:47 by johnsmith101.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
17 May 2017 00:19 - 17 May 2017 00:22 #32974 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Trickle charger
Sounds like a neat idea ! Typically when I put a battery tender on one of my cars, I just raise the RH hood panel and connect the - to the startix post and the + to the ground cable from the bell housing to the frame.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Last edit: 17 May 2017 00:22 by Curt Schulze.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 May 2017 00:52 #32963 by ilikescars
Trickle charger was created by ilikescars
Something I have been working on: I built a small metal box to house a trickle charger and bolted this assembly inside the car frame. It's just behind the battery, nestled inside the X-frame member. . An oval hole there allows me to see the indicator light
on the charger. Power line snakes up just to the side of the running board and the positive and negative leads are attached to the battery terminals. I covered the wires in anti-chafe webbing so that no plastic wires are seen. Now all I have to do is plug in to an extension cord after parking the car. Also, the whole thing can be removed for judging in a matter of 10 minutes, if desired.

Mark