Skip to main content

Coatings for Steel

• Murray Hall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2009 04:24 #15053 by Murray Hall
Replied by Murray Hall on topic Coatings for Steel
Thanks to all that responded to my enquiry. At the local UAP store, I found a product called Dupli Color which is a clear engine enamel. After stripping the paint off the transmission, I sprayed on 2 coats of this product and it looks great.
Murray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2009 01:58 #15052 by Brad J.
Replied by Brad J. on topic Coatings for Steel
I would clean the metal several times with a good wax and grease remover until you think it is clean. Then I'd clean it about three more times. I like to use good quality urethane clear with a flattener mixed in to dull the gloss. Any of the big paint companies sell a flattener that you mix in that gives the right look. I would mix it at their maximum recommendations as that seems to be a good look from the different brands I've tried. Just spray your first coat really dry and light in order to get a bite and possibly eliminate fish eyes. For the most part any modern paint systems withstand heat to at least 220+ degrees so you can use them on anything except exhaust manifolds.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2009 01:49 #14754 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Coatings for Steel
Hi Murray, There are several products to do what you want. Eastwood sells some and I think NAPA sells a product called Cast Blast or some such name. Most auto machine shops spray this type paint on blocks etc. after cleaning them so they don't rust. If they will hold up to engine heat they should be fine on a trans. I use Veriprime by Dupont on engine blocks for a primer with no problems and that is a regular primer for topcoats. As far as using a 2K clear coat, that would be very glossy and not look like cast iron. It would also be much more expensive than a spray can.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2009 13:05 #14752 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic Coatings for Steel
you also could use normal 2k clear coat paint which is slightley turning yellowish with years and heat, if you don't mind, probabley it's hardley recoginable with the bare casted steel underneath.
The bare cast steel turnes darker with a clear coat, much like forged steel, test it before you attack your gearbox.
I would sujest that you plastic media blast all external parts PRIOR REASSEMBLING and wash it perfectley clean, this way you get the original casted clean look without changing struktur nor damaging your gearbox.
Never blast technical parts without deassembling, good clean and reassembling it.
But NEVER SAND- or GLASSBLAST TECHNICAL PARTS !!!!!!!!
And make sure that the plastic media is new and clean for this job !
It only leaves the question if glossy paint, a semimatt or matt finish is prefered, please let us see your finished gearbox.

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Murray Hall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Oct 2009 03:08 #14749 by Murray Hall
Coatings for Steel was created by Murray Hall
I have a transmission I want to paint with a clear coat so that the natural metal colour shows without allowing the metal to rust. I have been told that there is a product called Crystal Urethane that works and can withstand some heat. Has anybody tried this product or is there something else out there that you would recommend?
Murray