Skip to main content

Gas tank removal

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
14 May 2009 16:42 #13491 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Gas tank removal
Neal: Sorry about the differences: My car is a 36 Auburn, so I wasn't too sure about your cover plate. I'm glad it worked out. I'm 6'3" and weigh 260, so I figured if I could wedge myself into that space, anyone could!

BTW: Please join the ACD club. It's worth the small amount paid.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Neal Ziff
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 May 2009 16:17 #13490 by Neal Ziff
Replied by Neal Ziff on topic Gas tank removal
Thanks for the advice to go through from the inside. It was a bit of a hassle getting the interior elements out, and my metal cover plate was secured with about 30 nails, but it was worth the effort. Once exposed, it was pretty simple to undo the gauge and fuel line connections, and then to remove the straps and lower the tank. Now that it's all open, might as well check the fluid, etc in the rear differential and clean up anything else I can find back there - it beats doing it from on my back on a creeper.

Thanks - once again the help I've gained from the club's site has proved invaluable.

Neal

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2009 21:20 #13385 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Gas tank removal
Neal: I have a cabriolet with a rumble seat. When I removed the tank, I had to take out the front seat and remove the wood support behind the seat.
Then I crawled in with tools in hand. I removed the metal cover plate (slotted head screws) and exposed the gas tank plumbing. I unscrewed the gas gauge fitting (air line) with a small wrench. Then I removed the rubber tube that connects the gas line to the tank unit. (Yours might be a fitting instead of a hose clamp)
Now you can lower the tank from the car.

Mark

• Neal Ziff
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2009 15:34 #13382 by Neal Ziff
Replied by Neal Ziff on topic gas tank removal
Thanks Mike,
I've been under the car and viewed the connections (using a mirror). They are as you said, on the front part of the tank, up by one of the connections for the securing straps. There appear to be connector nuts at the heads of the tank line and also the gauge sensor - my concern is how will they detach when I disconnect these nuts? Do they just pull out, allowing me to drop the tank? Is there a sensitive connection there that I need to be worried about?

Neal

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2009 15:22 #13381 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Gas tank removal
Hi Neal, I can't speak for your exact model, but the wires and sending unit can usually be accessed from under the car above the front part of the tank on the top. Some cars have a access hole above the sending unit so you can disconnect or replace from inside the car or rumble seat.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Neal Ziff
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2009 04:56 #13357 by Neal Ziff
Gas tank removal was created by Neal Ziff
About to drop the gas tank on my '30 8-95 Cabriolet. The tank removal seems straight forward, but I'm a bit concerned about the gas line and gas gauge connection. Not sure how they function at the connecting point and how the disconnect is going to be accomplished. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Neal