Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion

• pkschafer
  • pkschafer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2008 20:30 #9586 by pkschafer
pkschafer created the topic: Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
Need some help with cable specs cord 812 6 plus 6 optima battery conversion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2008 13:20 #9589 by Pat Leahy
Pat Leahy replied the topic: Double Optima
I carry two 6 volt Optima batteries in my CORD. They fit perfectly side by side in the existing compartment. I use only the one battery for all normal Cord electrical. I added a small jumper wire from the first battery to the second in series to provide 12 volt for a radiator fan, cell phone (no longer use). I now just carry it for emergency purposes (for me or for someone else). The second battery does not charge off the generator, so I occasionally switch the two around or charge externally as required. One battery will allow a long period of time for cranking (much more than standard wet cell). Also great because there is no terminal corrosion, or need for trickle charge through winter.

• pkschafer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2008 20:34 #9592 by pkschafer
pkschafer replied the topic: Battery conversion
Thanks Pat. I am new to Cords, however, I have thought about installing an electric fan in front of the radiator. Great idea. Re. battery install I had heard of someone doubling up Optima batteries in parallel to double cranking amps which would require cable changes etc. How did you deal with positive ground on the fan install?
:)

More
04 Mar 2008 17:53 #9598 by Tom Georgeson
Tom Georgeson replied the topic: Optimo battery
I'm using one Optimo battery and it works just fine. I did all the improvements that have been setout in back issues of ACD Newsletters and she cranks over just fine. I also install a kill switch underneath the drivers seat. Because I have a hump in my driveway I laid the battery on it side so I could raise the battery box up to clear the hump.

• pkschafer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2008 01:16 #9600 by pkschafer
pkschafer replied the topic: Optima
Tom thanks. Is the battery box height a necessary modification for protection.

More
03 May 2008 01:41 #9988 by Tom Georgeson
Tom Georgeson replied the topic: Optimo battery
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer you. I just got back in the country and didn't have good computer service while gone.
I raised my battery so it would not hit the high spot coming off the street to my driveway. As I have built my Cord to be a driver it is protection when out on the road.

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds