Skip to main content

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH! - Wrecked Cord Beverly

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
31 May 2004 05:02 #1767 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Re: CORD damage

Pat Leahy wrote: Amazingly with a broken rear spring, rear tire gone, I drove the car to the side of the road.

Pat Leahy

Only a front-wheel drive car could have done that ... No more dollies Pat!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 May 2004 20:22 #1760 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH! - Wrecked Cord Beverly
It looks like the door pillar is pushed in a little. Is there any other twist or buckels in the body?

Best wishes for the repair! If you had classic car insurance I would be interested to hear how good they work with you.

Derek

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
28 May 2004 19:19 #1759 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic CORD damage
The front fenders have minor damge, but the rest of the front end is OK. After sitting sprawled across two lanes of the Ohio tollway, I had to start the car and drive it off the car dolly. Amazingly with a broken rear spring, rear tire gone, I drove the car to the side of the road. Already working to repair, but will definitely need parts (passsenger front and rear doors, passenger Custom rear fender, door handles, rear axle/springs, wheel and hubcap). I have had numerous e-mails and calls from fellow members, thanks for encouragement.

It appears the culprit was a 4 year old reproduction Goodyear bias ply tire blew out while towing the car on a car dolly, causing the CORD to swerve into the side of a semi.

Pat Leahy

Pat Leahy

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 May 2004 17:33 #1757 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Ouch!
Pat-

Very sorry to see/hear about your accident. From looking at your pictures it does appear that your Cord is fixable. The doors do not appear to be too major (may need reskinned), the rear fender may need the lip remade but the rest is probably fixable, my main concern would be the body structure. If the fender area is pushed in it would take some work but could be pulled out or replaced with a section from a parts car. How is the front of the car?

Derek

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
28 May 2004 02:43 #1754 by Picture Gallery
NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH! - Wrecked Cord Beverly was created by Picture Gallery
Our condolences to ACD Board Member Pat Leahy. Pat was on his way to the Eastern Meet when disaster struck.

Pat writes:

Unfortunately Kathy weren't able to make the East meet. While driving on I-80 east of Cleveland, a tire blew out on a rear of the CORD while on a car dolly. The CORD, car dolly and my Chevy truck slammed into the side of a semi truck and trailer, turned sideways and skidded down the interstate at 60 miles an hour. Reminds me of NASCAR. Thank GOD that no one was hurt. The damage is pretty severe, so I hope it can be restored. Sort of reminds me of the movie "Doc Hollywood" -- "I can fix that." It appears that my fate with 3-4 year old reproduction bias ply tires was the culprit. A very scary situation, but cars are replaceable, not people.

Pat Leahy