Skip to main content

John Trittschuh's Right-Hand Drive 1937 Cord Cabriolet S/C

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
18 Aug 2004 13:24 #2080 by Josh Malks
Stan's right about Doug's cabriolet, and he did have a Westchester too. But he actually owned them at the same time. I lived in nearby Worcester at that time, and found a leak in my radiator about a week before the ACD Eastern Meet. Doug's cabriolet was partially dismantled for repairs at the time, so he lent me the radiator to use until mine was repaired. (Doug as a wonderful guy!) We caravaned to the meet together. As fate would have it, Doug's Westchester overheated all the way there, while my Westchester, with his radiator in it, ran perfectly cool. (Doug passed on all too soon.)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wkennerley
  • Visitor
18 Aug 2004 11:43 #2078 by wkennerley
John

Most cars that returned to America from England and Europe where found by American servicemen serving in those countries and taken back to the US when they went back home

Regards

Wayne M. Kennerley
London

• John Trittschuh
  • Visitor
28 Apr 2004 19:26 #1653 by John Trittschuh
Replied by John Trittschuh on topic Cord RHD
Stan, thanks again for your wonderful knowledge! Why would a car be sent back to the US from England? I would think the shipping costs would be prohibitive for a private owner to sell it back to someone at that time. And without ebay, how would they get info of someone wanting their car to buy?

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2004 19:09 #1652 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic John Trittschuh's Right-Hand Drive 1937 Cord Cabriolet S/C
John-

Your Cord was sold new in England and then returned to the USA sometime after WWII. Yes, this was the next to the last Cabriolet assembled. The body number indicates that it was the 165th body made in this style by Central Mfg. They built 208 Cabriolets total. The next to last 3 Cabriolets were all RHD and exported to distributors or dealers who were not aware the plant was closing. Likely your car was assembled in late July, early August of 1937. As far as I know, your car has always been well maintained. Sorry, but I don't recall who that Doug bought it from. He had a Cord Sedan previous to this Cord.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• John Trittschuh
  • Visitor
26 Apr 2004 22:33 #1650 by John Trittschuh
Replied by John Trittschuh on topic Semafore turn signals
Stan, thanks for the info. Does this mean the car went to England for the installation of the turn signals and then returned to the US when it didn't sell or what? According to Josh Malks the Vin # says it was the next to last convertible coupe made and the last RHD of any model Cord made. "Timeless Classic" pg. 263.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Apr 2004 16:49 #1649 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic John Trittschuh's Right-Hand Drive 1937 Cord Cabriolet S/C
John-

This RHD Cord was once owned by Doug Saunders of Norfolk, Mass. in the 1970s. Doug made some parts for me back then like the fog light lens. I have ridden in it many times. These export models had the semaphore turn signals added in England. Most of the convertibles had them installed just behind the doors. RLM Automobiles LTD. was the distributor who added special equipment. The "Supercharged" script on the hood sides was added in later years and is from another make of automobile, perhaps Graham.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
25 Apr 2004 16:14 #1644 by Picture Gallery
I just purchased a 1937 Cord Cabriolet S/C Vin #32487 F. This is a right hand drive with almost all the accessories. It has original fog lights, radio, heater, defroster. Interestingly, it also has semafore turn signals as flags that pop up from behind the doors near the rear fenders with chrome trim. I have not seen that on other Cords, maybe I just missed this item.

You can see it in the side view photos as a vertical chrome stripe. I also haven't seen the emblem on the side of the hood with the writing "Supercharged Cord" on other cars in photos. Was this an accessory also?

John and Carol Trittschuh

J.R.Trittschuh,MD <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]