Picture of my speedster with new blackwall tires

More
15 May 2011 13:27 #20063 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
The color on the "porch" engine was a very very drab blue/green. Absolutely not the brighter green. I do not recall what was on the blower.

The auburn engine color discussion is always interesting because I believe there is no documentation one way or the other. Curt can correct me here of course. Ultimately we are relying on passed down opinions and recollections. My dad likes to point out that in this area he is the only one possessing paperwork on the subject and the blocks are supposed to be gray :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2011 17:21 #20067 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Green verses grey/gray
The under the porch engine seems to be the traditional 851/852 Auburn green (bluish cast) that I am finding when seeking out unrestored cars to help with the restoration guidelines (you find the original color on the valve access side due to excess oil protecting paint). I have yet to find an "unrestored" car in the light grey/gray color, but I believe it was what color the engines were painted when rebuilt in Auburn by the Parts Company after 1937. There are many a car restored out there with light grey/gray engines and they did not imagine this stuff so it is coming from somewhere.

JMM

More
28 May 2011 12:16 #20177 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Engine detail
Over the years I have accumulated many 1934-1936 engines and related parts both six and eight. It is my belief that both six and eight cylinder engines came from the factory painted what is termed 'Auburn green'.

Randy has factory literature making reference to the finish being 'Auburn green'. In discussions with Randy on this subject we have concluded that if a engine was was sent back to the factory for refurbishment the eights were painted battleship grey and the sixes were terquoise. These engines have become known as 'Dallas Winslow rebuilds' . It is my opinion that either grey or 'Auburn green is OK for 8's and terquoise or green is OK for sixes.

The lions share of people are not aware of this, so it seems best to err on the side of green.

Now the more burning question becomes, what ancillaries were painted engine color and what is black, natural or cad. For instance if an engine was sent in for rebuild, the water pump and bellhousing would not have been included. so they would still be green. This is the case of a 1934 engine that I have.

Does anyone have an oil filler tube and cap that they feel has the 'original finish?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
11 Sep 2015 10:54 #30255 by wheelsandthings
wheelsandthings replied the topic: Re: Picture of my speedster with new blackwall tires
I love your speedster you have put a lot of time and effort into it.Chris Bull p.s is the picture of that unrestored supercharger motor the one that was found under a porch or is that another one i was offerd a 1936 Auburn supercharger motor about six years ago and turned it down as at that time had no auburn parts .If only i had bought it,as it turned out the man who bought it used it to replace his 36 non supercharger motor for his sedan and i bought that one regards Chris Bull

• ilikescars
  • ilikescars's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Dec 2015 23:29 #30706 by ilikescars
ilikescars replied the topic: Re: Picture of my speedster with new blackwall tires
My red speedster has now been sold and re-restored by Lcars. It now resides in California in a private museum. New paint color is a nifty grey. Engine was replaced with a "side plate" version Lycoming engine. Sorry, I have no pix of present appearance

More
21 Dec 2015 16:39 #30738 by jal
jal replied the topic: Re: Picture of my speedster with new blackwall tires
Beautifull picture. :)

casa lopez

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds