Skip to main content

ACD cars at National Auto Museum Reno

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2010 19:15 #18823 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic ACD cars at National Auto Museum Reno
Bill, did you see where your mother's ex-Harrah's car is coming up for sale again? The auction catalog doesn't mention her or Harrah's, but does state that the car was formerly owned by actor Edward Herrmann - who, as I recall, was the one who bought your mother's car at the Auburn auction in 1999.

This is also the car Tim Durham had on loan to the ACD Museum for several years.

www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cf ... CarID=r146

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steve Derus
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2010 16:34 #18820 by Steve Derus
Replied by Steve Derus on topic ACD cars at National Auto Museum Reno
I was able to visit the Harrah Collection in Sparks NV once, in 1966. It was definitely a drink from a fire hose. I have a few snapshots of it in a box someplace. The few classics that remain as part of the core collection in Reno include the Al Jolsen 1933 Cadillac V16 convertible sedan, and a Mercedes 540K roadster.

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2010 15:31 #18819 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic ACD cars at National Auto Museum Reno
Reno was where I grew up. I can remember many trips to the Harrah's Automobile Museum was I was a child. In the 1980's Holiday Inn bought Harrah's and ordered all of the cars sold. This infuriated the locals, so Holiday Inn agreed to keep the 200 best cars on permanent display and then they auctioned off the rest. That is where I got my 1937 Cord 812 S/C Cabriolet. You can see one of my cousin, Chris Cord's, racing cars there. I think it is a Monza.

The remaining 200 cars are now part of the National Automobile Museum on Lake Street near downtown Reno.

I believe another benefit to being a member of the ACD Automobile Museum is that you can get in free to the National Automobile Museum for free when you show your ACD Museum membership card.

• Steve Derus
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2010 23:51 #18813 by Steve Derus
ACD cars at National Auto Museum Reno was created by Steve Derus
Was there last weekend, here are some photos to share...enjoy.
The Weyman fishtail speedster, J508 is there on loan for a special exhibit honoring what would have been Bill Harrah's 100th birthday. Those are the ORIGINAL TIRES!!
The Model J Murphy clear vision sedan is J305
The Auburn speedster is a V12 no other info. sorry
No info. on the green Cord Westchester
The white Cord has Ab Jenkins history, record holder maybe?
The green Model A roadster is a 1926 Milsbaugh/Irish (sp?)