Frank Lloyd Wright Crash, Wisconsin, November 13, 1933

More
13 Dec 2007 19:26 #8890 by DJT
DJT replied the topic:

tmanfred wrote: Here's another angle. Tom
http://images.wisconsinhistory.org/7000 ... 1113-l.jpg

Photo courtesy of the Wisconsin Historical Society.
Visit http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi for more information.

-David
member: Professional Photographer Association
TnT Shutterbug Photography
http://www.tntshutterbugphotography.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2007 20:54 #8986 by clydester
clydester replied the topic:
I've read quite a few books about Wright over the years. One I'm reading now is by his on and off again personal photographer who hooked up with Wright just before WW2. In one picture, the caption reads,"This is one of Wright's expensive cars." It's a forwign car but can't see all of it...might be a British Riley?? In another photo, it clearly shows Wright driving a Crosley convertible. The caption states he was kinda in awe of the little car and bought a fleet for the apprentices to use at his home.
Also in the book is the earlier mentioned Wes Peters and his 40 Merc convertible which he had painted in Wright's favorite shade of red.

More
26 Dec 2007 19:24 #8991 by sunroofcord
sunroofcord replied the topic:
What is the name of the book you are currently reading????

Sounds quite interesting.

Thanks.

Jim

More
26 Dec 2007 21:36 #8994 by clydester
I'm reading several different books right now (I bore easily) and don't recall the specific name but will take a look tonight. I'd never seen this particular book on ebay before and grabbed it up. The inside is signed by the author/photographer from 1994 at Taliesin East. I just started reading a pretty new book,"The Taliesin Fellowship." So far, it's pretty impressive. Gets into a lot of the personalities and sexual preferences of "the help." It also mentions cars, one of which I'd never heard of and must have been the first car Wright owned????
One annecdote in the book written by his photographer....Wright would quite often walk around with no money in his pocket. One day he stopped at a diner for lunch and the bill was 85 cents. After eating, he remembered he didn't have any money. The diner owner recognized him and suggested he just sign the back of the meal check and they'd call it even. The next day, Wright returned with the 85 cents. The diner owner said it was no big deal. Wright insisted on paying AND getting the signed check back. "I understand my autograph is currently worth $5."

More
27 Dec 2007 14:30 #8999 by clydester
The book is "Picturing Wright" by Pedro Guerrero. The car I mentioned earlier and had never heard of was a "bright yellow Stoddard Dayton convertible." He owned it while still living in Oak Park, Illinois, and when he was having an affair with Mrs. Cheney. Must have been about 1912-13. He must not have yet discovered his favorite red.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
27 Dec 2007 14:38 #9000 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
There were several different Taliesin colors, which figured prominently in the buildings he designed and the furniture he designed to go in them.

There was an exhibit two summers ago at the National Building Museum in D.C. on his only completed skyscraper, Price Tower in Oklahoma. They had a sample book of the colors on display.

Regarding books on him, I read "Fallingwater Rising" by Franklin Toker last summer. Gets into more juicy details of his personal life. Like Henry Ford, he hated just about everything and everyone except himself.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds