More
02 Mar 2017 20:22 #32587 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Tucker #52 at ACD Museum 2/25/17 @2pm
There is more information on Tucker #52 in this article:
www.oldcarsweekly.com/blogs/under-the-ho...52-52nd-car-51-built

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joe Holderman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Feb 2017 03:00 #32573 by Joe Holderman
Replied by Joe Holderman on topic Tucker #52 at ACD Museum 2/25/17 @2pm
Couldn't recall his name, but the website says the presentation was given by Sam Grate, Collections Manager.

Future Cord owner.

Messenger Link: m.me/hotrodjoe

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
27 Feb 2017 17:14 #32568 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Tucker #52 at ACD Museum 2/25/17 @2pm

Joe Holderman wrote: During the presentation, the speaker explained that #52 was built from leftover parts. The rolling chassis had been built on the assembly line at Tucker but the rest was pieced together with NOS parts, with two exceptions - the rear doors and roof had to be fabricated. So if #52 couldn't be completed with a roof (without one being made) I wonder if the "convertible" shared the same problem, but with a different solution?

Thanks for this great information. any chance the person telling you this was named Martin?

• Joe Holderman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Feb 2017 06:34 #32564 by Joe Holderman
During the presentation, the speaker explained that #52 was built from leftover parts. The rolling chassis had been built on the assembly line at Tucker but the rest was pieced together with NOS parts, with two exceptions - the rear doors and roof had to be fabricated. So if #52 couldn't be completed with a roof (without one being made) I wonder if the "convertible" shared the same problem, but with a different solution?

Future Cord owner.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2017 16:36 #32561 by 1748 S
Mike the car being built off the original rolling chassi or thin air was a sedan. Not the convertible that so many have discussed in depth to authenticity as being an unknown convertible made just after or as the Tucker empire was closed. I do not know enough about the "convertable" to venture a guess as to it being something the Tucker engineers were secretly building...
My 37 Beverly was owned by a Mr. Hamlin from 1949 thru 1951 or so as I recall from my historical docs. Randy ema knew him and was the Tucker president for some time back in the 1960s when he owned two Tuckers. Randy told me he would show off the new European car he just picked up so to say and Randy too would drive something he had just purchased to counter what Mr. Hamlin had just shown. Sounds like they were good friends.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2017 05:07 - 26 Feb 2017 05:08 #32559 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Tucker #52 at ACD Museum 2/25/17 @2pm
Was this the car that was made as a convertible? Not no 52 but the one built from thin air.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 26 Feb 2017 05:08 by mikespeed35.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2017 04:03 #32558 by 1748 S

Joe Holderman wrote: Planning to take the family. Always liked the Tucker and the story behind it. This will be the 2nd one I've seen up close - got to see one at the Coppola Winery a couple summers ago.

Do ACD members get admission discount to the museum?

I was lucky enough to see two Tuckers sitting side by side a few years back in Simi Valley. One was freshened up and about to return to a collection in Palm Springs. The other car was being "made" from parts. I was the known test car rolling chassi and everyone knew all about it. When finished it would be the car that never was. Someone with very deep pockets wanted a tucker and this was as close to having one that he was going to get. This car was being built from the front bumper to the back bumper in body work. What amazed me was how one goes about creating a car body from the shop air space. Everything gets measured off one point at the front of the car for placement. The center door posts had nothing telling me how much they needed to be aligned to the opposite side. If any meaSUREMENT WAS OFF THEN THAT AMOUNT GOT BIGGER AS THE CAR WAS BUILD FROM THIN AIR. i GUESS IT MIGHT BE LIKE BUILDING A BRICK WALL WITHOUT A STRAIGHT LINE SO EACH BRICK HAD A POINT TO BUILD FROM. a SMALL 1/16 INCH OFF IN 16 FEET ENDS UP 1 INCH OFF. iN THIS SHOP i ALSO SAW THE ACTUAL FIBERGLASS CAR USED IN THE tUCKER MOVIE TOO. iT NEVER WAS A CAR THAT WAS RUNNING. i HAD A HYDRAULIC SYSTEM IN IT THAT ALLOWED IT TO TURN ON THE SHOWROOM floor... Really sorry about the yelling caps. I have fat fingers and do not watch the screen when typing.

• Joe Holderman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2017 06:44 #32555 by Joe Holderman
Thanks, Mike, we'll check into that tomorrow!

Future Cord owner.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2017 06:10 - 25 Feb 2017 06:13 #32554 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Tucker #52 at ACD Museum 2/25/17 @2pm
Museum members get free admission. ACD Club members get free admission on Fri. Labor day weekend. If you are taking your family why not get a family membership and get 10% off in the Museum Store also.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 25 Feb 2017 06:13 by mikespeed35.

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2017 02:48 #32553 by pfree3233
Replied by pfree3233 on topic Tucker #52 at ACD Museum 2/25/17 @2pm
As far as I remember we do not get discount admission to the museum.
Pat

• Joe Holderman
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2017 23:15 #32551 by Joe Holderman
Tucker #52 at ACD Museum 2/25/17 @2pm was created by Joe Holderman
Planning to take the family. Always liked the Tucker and the story behind it. This will be the 2nd one I've seen up close - got to see one at the Coppola Winery a couple summers ago.

Do ACD members get admission discount to the museum?

Future Cord owner.