Skip to main content

O.R. Fuller, 1880-1946

• cph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2008 04:45 #10454 by cph
Replied by cph on topic O.R. Fuller, 1880-1946
Does anyone have or know where I can obtain a picture of the Fuller L-29? Thanks! -cph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2008 03:36 #10382 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic O.R. Fuller, 1880-1946
Fuller L-29 Coupe resides in Canada. Unrestored.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2008 01:50 #10380 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic O.R. Fuller, 1880-1946
He built an L-29 Coupe for (I think...someone correct me if I'm wrong) E.L. Cord. Not sure if it still exists or not. There was a picture of it in an old newsletter and it looked pretty terrible, a very short, square body with a very long hood.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• cph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Jun 2008 17:44 #10260 by cph
Replied by cph on topic O.R. Fuller, 1880-1946
Here's another blurb about O.R. Fuller:
www.coachbuilt.com/bui/f/fuller/fuller.htm

I haven't been able to find out much about his custom car building business, although I do know that the early "Motor Transit" buses had custom built bodies on White truck chassis...

• cph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Jun 2008 02:53 #10255 by cph
Replied by cph on topic Re: KFAC

Administrator wrote: Is this the same Fuller that was the auto dealer in Los Angeles? Fuller Auburn-Cord?

yes

Administrator wrote: If so, I know E.L.C. took it over and started KFAC radio in the former dealer's showrooms.

There were actually two stations. KFAC and KFVD (which was later sold off. It eventually became KTNQ)

Administrator wrote: KFAC and KCRL are still on the air to this day.

Well, sort of. I don't know about KCRL, but the KFAC-AM was sold to a Spanish-language station in the early 1980's. KFAC-FM lasted a bit longer, but was sold off in 1989.....the transmitters still exist, but the programming and call sign are different now.

• acdclubadmin
  • Registered
More
31 May 2008 19:12 #10251 by acdclubadmin
Replied by acdclubadmin on topic KFAC
Is this the same Fuller that was the auto dealer in Los Angeles? Fuller Auburn-Cord?

If so, I know E.L.C. took it over and started KFAC radio in the former dealer's showrooms.

KFAC, also known as the Music Fountain, played Classical Music. KFAC like his future radio station in Reno, KCRL, was actually a forerunner of XM and Sirius radio.

How can I make a statement like that? These were 50,000-watt Clear Channel radio stations that covered the Western Hemisphere at night. One could drive anywhere in the Western US, Hawaii, even the Pacific Rim and pick up the Classical Music eminating from the Music Fountain.

You see, it is all about marketing. Knowing WHO your target audience is. E.L. was very good at identifying his market and tailoring products to fit the customers' needs.

KFAC and KCRL are still on the air to this day.

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

• cph
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
31 May 2008 15:53 #10247 by cph
O.R. Fuller, 1880-1946 was created by cph
He grew up on a ranch in Kansas, then in 1898, came out to California and settled near Fullerton (no relation!).

He got into automobiles around 1907, buying a couple of Cadillacs. Around 1910 he moved to Los Angeles and managed the family truck dealership, selling White trucks and buses.

In 1918, after a bus line that he had sold a couple of vehicles to went out of business, O.R. decided to give the bus business a try. Over the next ten years, his "Motor Transit" system became an extensive network of suburban and intercity buses, running from LA to Bakersfield, San Diego, and the San Bernardino mountains. In 1929, he sold the system; the long distance lines ended up with Greyhound and the shorter lines to Pacific Electric (the "Red Car" people)

In 1925, Fuller became associated with Cord and Auburn, selling luxury cars and becoming wealthy by doing so. The Depression hit Fuller hard around 1932, and Cord took over Auburn-Fuller around then (I could be fuzzy on the date that Cord actually took over Auburn-Fuller). Fuller was also president of Cord's Century Pacific Airlines. I think Fuller started to object to some of Cord's business practices at that point.

In 1933, Fuller retired and moved to his ranch near Corona, CA

Anyone have any more information, especially his days with Auburn? Or about the Auburn-Fuller dealerships on Figueroa, Western and Wilshire? Thanks!