Electric Fuel Pumps

More
03 Feb 2005 16:07 #2809 by Al Light
Al Light replied the topic: Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

John Trittschuh wrote: I am looking in to placing electric fuel pumps in some of my ACD cars. I have one in the Boattail and it runs better than any other. Where can one get in-the-tank fuel pumps for 6 V systems and do you need a pressure controller / where to put it? Don't want to destroy the authenticity but it seems to make a whale of a difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2005 16:48 #2811 by Al Light
Al Light replied the topic:
Bendix originally made an electric fuel pump that we used on Lycoming Aircraft engines such as those made by Piper. These pumps were very realible and approved for aircraft use. This business was taken over by Facet. I have used this pump on my 36 Cord for years and have driven car over 50K miles with only this electric pump operating and the standard mechanical pump removed. I carry a spare but have not had any need for it. About 3 years ago I found that this pump could be obtained from J & N Auto Electric, 1201 Glendale-Milford Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45215. phone 800-366-7100. Part No. for 6v Pos. Ground is 476089 and 476086 for neg. grnd.; Cost at that time was $85.01. J & N was a distributer for Purolater and Facet. I am not sure if J & N are still in business. Try searching for "facet-purolator" on your computer. I would be interested in how you make out. Al Light: <a href="mailto:Alight1928@alum.mit.edu]Alight1928@alum.mit.edu[/url].

More
04 Feb 2005 18:43 #2816 by rfloch
rfloch replied the topic:
I put in an electric pump a few years ago and after messing with cheap, dial-type fuel pressure regulators that either failed or were very inaccurate, I finally bought the low pressure Holley regulator Chip mentioned at a speed shop. I has worked flawlessly for over a year.

After trying to figue out how to mount it in a non- obtrusive way, I finally mounted it on a 3' straight piece of 1/8 pipe coming straight out of the mechanical fuel pump which is very solid. Even though the set up is not original, it is not obvious when you look under the hood and looks workman-like.

The holley regulator is made for two carburetors so you can either plug one outlet or install a small gauge there and have continuous pressure readout rather than adjusting it with a separate gauge before hooking up the fuel line to the carb.

Make sure you get the low pressure gauge, not the one made for high pressure fuel injected systems.

Richard Floch

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
05 Feb 2005 03:46 #2817 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Holley's variable fuel pressure regulator is available in two ranges --- 4.5 to 9 psi, and 1 to 4 psi. That's the one we want. It's Holley # 12-804. Also available in chrome, part # 12-500. It comes preset at 2.6 psi, probably OK for most of our cars. Can be lowered with the adjustment screw --- you'll need a pressure gauge for accuracy.

This regulator is used by the racing folks, so it should withstand modern gas. In any case, Holley offers replacement diaphragms.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
08 Feb 2005 03:17 #2823 by phooper
phooper replied the topic:
I would caution anyone using the Holley regulator to place it where a gas leak will not cause a fire. I have had the diaphram fail once on mine and it leaks gas at a good rate from around the adjusting screw when this happens. As was mentioned it is easy to repair as long as the car was not torched in the process.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds