Skip to main content

Painting hood panels

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2015 20:09 #29154 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Painting hood panels
I have put a pinstripe on the edge of many hood - edges of hoods always seem to be a problem verses doors and ... that are thicker around edge.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2015 13:07 #29128 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Painting hood panels
Yes, good point. A factory edge is still kinda raw & sharp. Prolly best to hand-sand the edge just to remove the sharpness.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2015 12:37 #29127 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Paint
Mark, you do not want a sharp edge for painting or plating. There are many places on a hood to get a sharp if you have ground it down to a knife edge. The problem is probably on the leading or training edge. I would try grinding it down then try taking it up in the adjustment. If the louvers are sharp, maybe grind the bad ones and then build them up with weld. If that is a hassle, louver sets are available.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Feb 2015 14:32 #29114 by ilikescars
Painting hood panels was created by ilikescars
I have been painting my 35 Auburn and ran across a problem: The hood panels have sharp, straight-cut edges. From what I have read, if you paint something with sharp edges, the coating will not adhere well and will eventually start to pull away or de-laminate. That is exactly what happened on one of the panels. Anybody know how to treat this problem?
I asked a pro painter, and he didn't seem to understand what I was talking about....