Skip to main content

Spotted an Auburn in 1937 Mr Moto film

• landmark
  • Registered
More
17 Aug 2014 20:20 #27972 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Re: Spotted an Auburn in 1937 Mr Moto film

Tom_Parkinson wrote: Hi,

Here I am, innocently lazing away a Sunday afternoon watching a 1937 film, "Think Fast, Mr Moto," and all of a sudden in the film here comes a big Auburn sedan. The car smashes into Mr Moto's rick-shaw, but our hero is unhurt.

I am not enough of an Auburn aficionado to state what model or year this Auburn is, but perhaps one of our Auburn owners can identify it.

I must say, the Auburn is the best part of this film. Reflecting the prejudices of the times, the Japanese detective is played by Czechoslovakian-born actor Peter Lorre. Lorre went on to make 7 more Mr Moto movies, and he later held them in disdain.

The film is not on Youtube. Perhaps someone with a Netflix subscription can obtain the movie and identify the Auburn.

--Tom

PS--I am NOT going to tell you whodunit. You'll have to get the film and suffer through it as I did.

:D

Hello,

I am a big fan of Peter Lorre's acting!

His first great success in a movie was in (art director) Fritz Lang's 1931 Berlin based Thriller "M - Eine Stadt sucht einen M?rder" (M - A City in search of a Murder) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M_%281931_film%29

One of the best pre-war movies ever

Here is a link to the movie with subtitles in english langue

According to classic car history; Fritz Lang directed aswell the 1927 expressionism art inspired science fiction (silent) movie "Metropolis", during the final scene of the movie, a lot of the remaining (futuristic/aerodynamic designed) 1921 "Rumpler Tropfenwagen" (Drop car) were destroyed.

animationbegins.files.wordpress . ... s-1927.jpg

Only two of these cars are known today, both survived in technical museums in Berlin and Munich

Here are some links to car infos and fotos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpler_Tropfenwagen

www.oldtimer.net/images/bilderga ... 300030.jpg

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... entrum.JPG

www.sdtb.de/uploads/tx_templavoi ... en_pan.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Aug 2014 17:50 #27971 by Tom_Parkinson
Spotted an Auburn in 1937 Mr Moto film was created by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

Here I am, innocently lazing away a Sunday afternoon watching a 1937 film, "Think Fast, Mr Moto," and all of a sudden in the film here comes a big Auburn sedan. The car smashes into Mr Moto's rick-shaw, but our hero is unhurt.

I am not enough of an Auburn aficionado to state what model or year this Auburn is, but perhaps one of our Auburn owners can identify it.

I must say, the Auburn is the best part of this film. Reflecting the prejudices of the times, the Japanese detective is played by Czechoslovakian-born actor Peter Lorre. Lorre went on to make 7 more Mr Moto movies, and he later held them in disdain.

The film is not on Youtube. Perhaps someone with a Netflix subscription can obtain the movie and identify the Auburn.

--Tom

PS--I am NOT going to tell you whodunit. You'll have to get the film and suffer through it as I did.

:D

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.