Skip to main content

Cord Complete

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
26 Jul 2014 15:24 #27855 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Award
The Board has discussed this very subject on a number of occasions. At this time there are no plans to create another named award.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jul 2014 03:22 #27844 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord Complete
I did send a post to the Board of Directors about an award for Josh so they do know about this. I got a very nice answer too explaining how they felt.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2014 03:38 #27637 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Cord Complete
Let's consider purposes as well. We already have an award - the Benson Award - for writing, two Cord awards, and three separate awards honoring individual achievements benefiting the Club.

Let's remember Josh and Paul by doing as they would have done in our daily interactions with people, enthusiasts and otherwise. I have a framed photo of Paul - half-in, half-out of a Certification-in-process speedster - in my living room, and keep a full run of Josh's books on my desk at work. I miss both of them every day, but their memory reminds me to be thorough, conscientious, and honest.

Just my two cents.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2014 19:53 #27634 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Awards
It makes sense. Let's see about getting it funded? Could start a donation list on this site?

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2014 14:43 #27627 by jhcarlady
Replied by jhcarlady on topic cord complete
While I greatly admire both of the gentlemen mentioned, I feel that it is a poor precedent to create honorary named awards that are not funded. Both will long be remembered for their contributions to the club.

My experience is that named awards are usually not funded in perpetuity and very soon the club has another award that it must fund.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2014 10:31 #27625 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Cord complete
The ACD Board would have to approve the award name. That being said, Club members are certainly allowed to make suggestions.
Paul Bryant deserves recognition also.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2014 01:39 #27624 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Cord Complete
Forgotten, I don't think so! In that vane, how about not forgetting Josh. As I have said before, he needs to have some kind of award developed in his honor. Who is going to come up with it?

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2014 18:56 #27620 by Tim Gilmartin
Cord Complete was created by Tim Gilmartin
There is an excellent review of Josh Malks' Cord Complete book in the Sunday, June 1st NY Times; automobile section. Also mentioned are several other car books; just in time for Father's Day.
In the Cord Complete review is the word "amanuensis." It means "secretary" or "one who copies or writes from the dictation of others." It goes on to say that "this second book could easily be thought of as Mr. Malks's effort to make sure his accumulated knowledge was transferred to paper so that the Cord automobile, gone from production since the close of 1937, would not be forgotten."
Not be forgotten INDEED!
CORDially, Tim.