Skip to main content

Go see the new GREAT GATSBY movie!

• slehrman
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2020 14:36 - 19 Oct 2020 14:36 #41219 by slehrman
Replied by slehrman on topic Go see the new GREAT GATSBY movie!
There were four movies done on "The Great Gatsby"......the first was in the 20's and was silent.....only a few scenes survive. The second was done in 1948 with Allan Ladd and had two real Model JN's in it......533 & 565......and you can get the video disk on ebay with both cars on the cover. The third was the Redford movie in 1972, and then the latest one. I have only watched the 1948 version myself. Ed Minnie
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 14:36 by slehrman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Nov 2018 09:00 - 08 Nov 2018 09:04 #35921 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Go see the new GREAT GATSBY movie!
Hi Bill, you guys probably will not believe this but that movie was made in Sydney at FOX Studios. A lot of fuss was made about a Duesenberg being flown out to Australia for the movie ................. which turned out to be a replica.
There are also some local cars in the movie such as a 1930 Cadillac V16 Dual Cowl Phaeton which was parked outside the party house. The car from memory was dark green with silver fenders.
It was an entertaining film but way over the top.

T cockerell
Last edit: 08 Nov 2018 09:04 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Spelling mistake rectified

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2013 23:37 #25455 by Bill Hummel
Go see the new GREAT GATSBY movie! was created by Bill Hummel
What's wrong with me? I loved this movie!

It was wonderful seeing an A and a D car as the two stars in the movie! I just wish there had been a C for a clean sweep.

People (mostly teenagers and 20-somethings) sitting all around me were saying how cool the cars were. They commented on the chrome and the colors and the speed! I kept my mouth shut about the fact they were replicas. I wanted the kids to enjoy the film.

No one but us knows they were replicas. The important thing is that Auburns and Duesenbergs are now getting a little more exposure to a new, younger generation.

I also think its telling that all the Gatsby movie producers felt that a Rolls Royce didn't have the flash and star power to be the headliner car. It had to be a Duesy and I agree!

The modern music worked especially well in the movie. Lana Del Rey's Young & Beautiful was PERFECT during the scene where Gatsby and Daisy are dancing on the floating dock.

Listen to it here:

It's just like Shakespeare that works when its re-done in any setting or time-period. It's a universal message about money and love and this movie works just as well as the mid -1990's version of Romeo and Juliet (by the same director)which also had modern music.

I've now seen it twice and am definitely getting it on Blu-Ray when it comes out! Apparently it was produced by Jay-Z. Good for him!

We're the ACD Club! Sure, we know what's correct and what's not. But we can also have a little fun as well!

The following user(s) said Thank You: DarrenBarrett