Skip to main content

Need Information

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2013 02:56 #24522 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Brake Fluid Tech Article
Here is a great brake fluid article you car guys might find of some real interest !

www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/ ... _long.html

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 12:37 #24505 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic DOT 5
Why go through all that bother when you can screw in a new modern pressure switch that looks just like the the original switch that Auburn used 75 years ago.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 05:53 #24500 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Need Information
Mike~~
Great idea with adding the extra relay to take all the high tail lamp load. Then the switch is only a very light load "pilot" switch.
I suspect that an old vintage 6-Volt horn relay might work well here also.

Another option~
If the brake light switch is your only issue, and you suspect the Silicone dot 5 brake fluid is at fault with it's failures, why not use a modern mechanical push button style brake light switch mounted on a small bracket that actuates off of your brake pedal swing arm ? Then just plug the hydraulic line's brake switch screw-in port completely ..

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2013 03:30 #24497 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Need Information
In 13 years I have replaced the switch twice in the L-29 and in 5 years I have not had to replace the Auburn once. When I examined the failed switch I found nothing wrong with the seal and no brake fluid on the contacts but I did find burned contacts. I put a headlight relay in the switch curcuit and have had no more trouble with failed switches. The Dot 5 was not my problem.
I got the idea from a article I read in a CCCA publication.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2013 13:41 #24489 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Need Information
Hi,

I switched the cars back to DOT 3 from DOT 5 because of the problem with the brake light pressure switches failing once a year. This problem applied to new switches, not just NOS or originals.

In the LaSalle I had actually gone so far as to install a dash idiot light that would come on when the brake lights were powered by the switch. So when it quit working, I knew I had no brake lights, and I changed the switch. Finally, though, I just went back to DOT 3.

Using DOT 3 fluid requires that I flush the system every other year. It's a maintenance burden cost of collecting these cars, but it's a good activity to do with the grand-buddies.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2013 23:52 #24486 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic DOT5
I agree with all positive comments above. We run DOT5 in all of out collector cars.

One reason DOT5 got a bad rep is the rubber that Wagner used in their cylinders and kits many years ago was not compaitble with DOT5.
Wagner has long since corrected that problem. So be sure to use modern kits.

DOT5 will render old or NOS brake light switches inoperable in about a years time. I really don't know why, but modern switches that judge well are available.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2013 22:28 #24485 by silverghost
There is another forum thread already posted & running here on this very topic.

Use the forum's search function above and search "silicone".

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2013 13:31 #24483 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic Need Information
I to have had several cars converted since the mid 80'swith absolutely
no troubles.

when I was still in the parts business, I seen some conversions that
were total disasters, all were related to mixing with traces of dot 3

a super clean system or all new parts is the secret
a lot of motorcycles and foreign cars are dot 5
I also have an Avanti II that has been on dot 5 since new

greg

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2013 03:42 #24481 by silverghost
Mike~

I have indeed heard the very same argument about the water in the system tubing rust-out issues.
The debate will never be settled;
nor will ever go away.

Also~~~
Some folks just do not like to try new things,
These are also the same folks who also do not use proper brake bleeding procdures~~~and then they wonder why they have small entrained air bubbles in the hydraulic brake system; and thus a soft spongy brake pedal.

Guys~
Try this simple experiment~~~
I have done so!

If you take an open small wide mouth jar of old fashoned Dot 3 fluid with it's top fill level marked on the outside with a fine sharpie marker line. Now take the jar and leave it sit open outside on your sheltered porch in the humid summer weather we have here in Penna. for several weeks or so, you will find that that the level of fluid in the jar has increased dramatically because the old Dot 3 is hygroscopic and has actually attracted & sucked-in humidity & water right out of the humid air itself.

I have Never had Any water enter any of my hydraulic brake systems using Dot 5 Silicone fluid.

I also in fact use it in All my boat trailers tandam axel hydraulic surge brakes which get totally dunked in saltwater each season to launch my boats.
No brake water issues there at all !

And thus have never had any brake line tubing rusting-out from the inside out as others have often incorrectly claimed.

Also~~~
I do know~~~
There Are indeed some new autos, & motorcycles, that come directly from the factory assembly lines with Dot 5 Silicone fluid alreay factory installed .
These are usually very expensive & exotic high performance autos however.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2013 03:20 #24480 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Need Information
I to use Dot 5 but find it interesting that no new car manufacturers us Dot 5 to my knowledge. It is more expensive but wouldn't be if new cars came with it. The Dot 3 and 5 argument has been around for 30 yrs plus. One argument is that if water gets in the brake lines Dot 3 will absorb it, but Dot 5 will not thus the water will migrate to a low part of the brake line and rust it out internally. Dot 3 is suppost to be flushed regularly thus removing the water. Dot 5 users don't usually flush there fluid regularly.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2013 02:54 #24479 by silverghost
I too swear by using Dot 5 Silicone brake fluid.
The brake system will not corrode internally using Dot 5 Silicone as it has no affinity for water and does not suck-in any water & humidity right out of the humid surrounding air.

Old style Dot 3 is very hygroscopic and will suck water into the system right out of the air and thus corrosion will rapidly form in the brake system.

Also should you develop any system leak Silicone Dot 5 will not harm an auto's painted surfaces.
Old standard Dot 3 on the other hand will wrinkle and remove most paint on contact.

Rubber piston cups & seals in wheel cylinders & master cylnders will also not stick if the auto is left to sit for long periods of time like it often does with the old standard Dot 3 causing the need for a brake rebuild.
Dot 5 is self lubricating & prevents brake piston parts from sticking.

Dot 5 Silicone will also hande much higher brake operating temps than standard old fashoned Dot 3 brake fluid.

Silicone Dot 5 gets a undeserved bad reputation in my opinion.
This is usually caused by bad installation & bleeding procedures~~~ as well as using very cheap substandard imported rubber brake rebuilding parts ,wheel & master cylinder kits , hoses etc.

Once you try Dot 5 Silicone you will never go back to the old standard Dot 3 fluid.
Most of the problems using it are from improper brake bleeding as mentioned before ; or from using cheap & suspect rubber brake rebuilding kits & parts containing poor & improper rubber compounds in wheel & master cylinder piston cups, seals, and hoses usually made in China.

I always use my diaphram tank style pressure brake bleeding system , with the proper mster cylinder filling adaptor , and try not to shake things up too much which will produce bubbles in the system while filling & bleeding the brake system.
Do not pump the master cylinder rapidly, & violently when bleeding the bake hydraulic system as this might cause bubbles to form in the master cylinder & brake hydraulic system.
And also let the brake pedal return very slowly with your foot before slowing pushing down on the brake pedal once again.

I have a number of cars where I rebuilt the hydraulic brake system in the mid 1970s when I first bought several gallon jugs of Silicone Dot 5 from Earnie Toth through his adverts in Hemming Motor news, that are still working flawlessly all these decades later
. Many of these autos are sitting for up to six months at a time, or more, with no hydraulic brake system issues , failures, or problems.
This would not happen using the old fashoned Dot 3 brake fluid.

Try using Silicone Dot 5~~
You will Love it !
I suspect you will Never have to rebuild your auto's hydraulic brake systen ever again in your lifetime, & your auto ownership ! ! !

Trust Me ! ! !

More
13 Feb 2013 02:24 #24478 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Need Information
Dot 5 silicone brake fluid is the only way to go on our old cars. Just make sure to get all the old Dot 3 out of the system first.
Then you need to be very patient with your bleeding proceedure. Do it over a period of days, giving the tiny bubbles time to assemble into big bubbles that will bleed out.
On my old cars that have DOT 5 silicone, the brake systems have performed flawlesly ever since I started using it in 1982. But with my cars that have Dot 3, the brake system usually fails due to moisture and corrosion in the hydraulic sytem every 5 years or so. (it is humid around here in the summer, and the cars get stored all winter)

The longest I ever ran DOT 5 in a car without flushing or changing it was 30 years. It still worked perfectly, but I had a steel line fail where it was rubbing on a bracket and wore thru. Then I had to bleed it out with new fluid.

Also, on my race car, when I installed Wilwood aftermarket brakes, Wilwood said NOT to use dot 5. I did anyway because of my previous succes with it. It has now been in the Wilwood brakes for 10 years with no problems. I personally think that Wilwood would rather tell people not to use it that to deal with all the calls from guys who did not bleed the dot 5 properly and who would blame their product for a spongy brake pedal.

Good luck, Joel

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2013 03:21 #24471 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Need Information
This is exactly the kind of thing the Newsletter DVD Archive is perfect for! Answers to these types of questions is as easy as doing a .pdf search on your computer. You can order one here:

www.shop.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/product.sc ? ... egoryId=10

I ran this search and found references to silicone brake fluid in 56 newsletters. I'm not sure which article you are referring to but if you buy a DVD you can look through them and find it.

Justin

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• dRay
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2013 02:02 #24470 by dRay
Need Information was created by dRay
Some years ago THE NEWSLETTER published a great article about whether or not to use silicone brake fluid. I would like to revisit this article, but don't know what issue it was in. Anyone out there have any idea of the issue number and year?