Time Magazine coverage of the 1937 Automobile Show

More
15 Dec 2011 21:05 #21637 by Tom Georgeson
Tom Georgeson replied the topic: Pipes on Cord
I think that Josh has made a lot of sense as it having been Chicago where it was first shown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
15 Dec 2011 21:14 #21638 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
Cord NY Times, 11/3/36

Three days later suddenly external piped Cord dated 11/8/36, in time for NY show, three days later

• balinwire
More
15 Dec 2011 21:40 #21639 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
Cover of the flyer you could get with admission, picture of standard Cord Sedan, must have been printed before the show by several weeks.

• balinwire
More
15 Dec 2011 22:47 #21640 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: Trip to the National Automobile Show at Grand Central 1936
This is one of the two pages 7-8 mapping the event. Can you imagine seeing the outside pipes on the new sensational front wheel drive car you wish to own. The map has the entrance to the main floor A_LEVEL illustrated. Chevrolet, Dodge, Buick would be on the first floor.
You would walk up a wide set of stairs to B-LEVEL to a mezzanine type balcony with an open ceiling to the next exhibit floor up on the third floor. On this second level in Exhibit B-4 would be Auburn and Cord. Also on this level were Pierce-Arrow and Willys. Cadillac had the opposite corner of the second story. Cord sat over the left front door window and in the center B-3 would have been the glorious Duesenberg.
The layout must have been breathtaking and would have made the common viewer intimated with the power and glory of such massive automobiles. There must have been a freight elevator that would have moved the vehicles in and out so changing the Cord at the last minute would have been a logistic nightmare, but then all of the production design of the pipes were done at this rate at a last ditch to save the company.
After seeing this magnificence we could climb the stairs to C-LEVEL and see the accessory and shop equipment exhibitors, Bendix, Kendall refining, Zenith, Police department, Fisher body, etc, etc. We would again look up to an open forth floor ceiling, D-LEVEL. Here we could find the Trailer exibitors, Kabin Koach, Cozy Coach, Curtis, Red Cap, Silver Dome and many others. All of the Trailers must have been wood and quite streamlined.
Going back down stairs would have been by narrower set of stairs than the first two flights. I know I would have had a wonderful time, and I?ll bet we would have worn a jacket and tie!

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
16 Dec 2011 00:48 #21641 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Balin', the top photo is a [i:23x00h3q]year earlier[/i:23x00h3q] -- November 3, 1935. The NY Auto Show had opened the previous day, Saturday, November 2.

But the Times photo of Sunday, November 8, 1936 does give one pause. This shot was used in their special pre-show "Automobiles" section. That means that the Times received the photo well before that date, since special sections are printed in advance because there is no "breaking news" in them.

Neither Alex nor the folks at Auburn sent that photo to the Times. It had to come from P.P. Willis, Auburn's ad agency. That means a posed photo, mailed with a press kit to all the newspapers. And that means even more lead time before the date of the newspaper. So a supercharged Cord with pipes existed in early November or even late October.

Here, possibly, is the smoking gun that I've asked for showing a photo of a Cord with pipes in advance of the New York Auto Show. Problem is, Alex's story now appears to make no sense at all. If one or more cars with pipes was ready a week or more before the show, then none of the machinations Alex has described was necessary -- the race through the night, the frozen engine, the last-second cleanup, the besotted gatekeeper. And certainly the cars were no secret. If Pete Willis was shooting them, then everybody, including Faulkner and Cord, certainly knew about them.

I am pleasantly puzzled, because (for you old-time radio fans) I Love A Mystery.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
17 Dec 2011 07:14 #21646 by streamliner
streamliner replied the topic:
Hmmmmm?

Just a couple observations:

The photo from 11-8-1936 is altered, probably to make the car stand out clearer, but the same photo from the Minneapolis Tribune two weeks later (thanks to sunroofcord, H.A.M.B. thread and ?The Reunion 2010?, page 139), 11-22-1936, appears to be either more original or more altered. The NYT?s photo had the rear chrome stoneguard removed, what appears to be a dent in the rear fender removed, the shadows under the car removed, and the reflections in the doors smoothed over.

The Minneapolis Tribune apparently also carried the full press release description for the car. But if you look closer at the reflections in the wheels, they seem to bear a strong resemblance to several of the cars from the ?Lost Connersville Photos?:

Of course it?s possible that most reflections in the Cord?s wheels look similar due to the convexity of the hubcap, but it?s still very similar and doesn?t appear to have been taken in a residential area, at least from the low-resolution copy in the newspaper. Could this photo have been altered by taking either a photo of the first one built in Connersville and superimposing it onto the backdrop(s)? Or could it have been a non-functional mockup of what they could do? There must be more photos of this car!!!

Also, since most of the photos I have are from Bill Kinsman?s find, what are the thoughts on the grill on this one where the ?eggcrate? is both a different shape and dimension and is screwed on from the outside?

From Alex?s account, Faulkner knew about the supercharged Cords and was expecting them to be at the show, but would they have just the eggcrate only or include the pipes. I?d interpret Alex?s description to mean that both options were shown and discussed prior to Faulkner leaving for New York.

Visit Alex Tremulis' Gyronaut Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds