Skip to main content

Graham Hollywood and Hupmobile Skylark for Reunion

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
04 Sep 2011 15:05 #20861 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Meeting the Cousins!
Hi Kellie,

The cousins were there and were wonderful to see. Thank you for making this great idea come to fruition.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the one and only Hupp Corsair. I had seen photos of this car, but what a thrill to see it up close and splendid!

Congratulations, and "Well Done."

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2011 20:19 #20804 by DJT

auburn-kid wrote: I'm sorry that you are going to miss this year's Annual Reunion.

I can't wait for everyone to see the field of Cord "Cousins" that has been assembled for this year! We have some VERY special guests coming. I'm not revealing anything more! You'll just have to be there!

I took 2000+ photos on a recent 2 week vacation in Viet Nam, let's see if I can do the same in 1 week at Auburn 2011 :D

-David
member: Professional Photographer Association
TnT Shutterbug Photography
www.tntshutterbugphotography.com

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2011 13:42 #20792 by Josh Malks
Just another note on the issue of Hollywoods, Skylarks and Cord resto-rods.

CCCA permits no cars in their events except those on their "list". Packard clubs nothing but Packards, etc. Because our cars, Cord in particular, had variations built by other companies, and are so attractive to customizers and to replica-makers, we have a whole other universe of cars to consider welcoming.

This is not advocacy for a specific position. It is rather a statement that the ACD Club is in the unique position of dealing with cars that represent a sort of homage to the glory of our originals. (And many of which are interesting in themselves.) Let's keep this door open while we thoughtfully consider the opportunities.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• auburn-kid
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Aug 2011 19:57 #20784 by auburn-kid
I'm sorry that you are going to miss this year's Annual Reunion.

I can't wait for everyone to see the field of Cord "Cousins" that has been assembled for this year! We have some VERY special guests coming. I'm not revealing anything more! You'll just have to be there!

Kellie Janousek
Life Member #170

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2011 19:21 #20767 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic Graham Hollywood and Hupmobile Skylark for Reunion
I had a chance to visit with Ken when attending the 50th Reunion of the club in Auburn in 2002. We went to his house in Fort Wayne and he graciously shared his Graham collection with us. We had a chance to get up close and personal with his Hollywood Convertible and as far as I could tell the body from the firewall back was all Cord as I think they all were. Why anyone would ban this car from the park is beyond me.

I think the inclusion of these cars has been a long time coming. Unfortunately, I won't be there to see them. Hope somebody makes a CD available of the whole 2011 event including the Cord Convoy.

Jim

• auburn-kid
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2011 02:22 #19512 by auburn-kid
Thanks to all of you that have been sending me e-mails with leads! Some of them are bearing fruit! I still don't have any Hupp Skylark leads yet. If you know someone with a Hupp, have them take a gander at their club's directory. I've got a few feelers out there right now, but you've come through on the Hollywoods so I thought I'd challenge you with the Skylarks! Thank you again for helping make 2011's Annual Reunion a great one!

Kellie Janousek
Life Member #170

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2011 04:18 #19338 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Graham Hollywood and Hupmobile Skylark for Reunion
Hi Alsancle,

The Cord and I arrive nearly every year at Auburn with me driving a company pickup or van and the Cord riding on an open trailer. The Cord being on an open trailer is what makes my annual adventure weather-dependent.

In the past, when all 810/812 Cords were parked beyond the bridge, the truck-and-trailer combo occasionally grounded out at the jack-stand but always dragged through OK. Now there is a special class for trailered ACD vehicles of all makes, and getting to that reserved location on the shy side of the bridge is no problem.

In at least two past years, trailered ACD vehicles were relegated to locations outside of the park. I, and others, had pretty strong feelings about this. The Board of Directors took heed, and more importantly, took [i:389yu6xd]action.[/i:389yu6xd] To my thinking, one of the great steps forward for the Reunion (and for the lasting credibility of the BOD) was the creation of the trailered vehicle class to be located IN the park. The logistics were not trivial--a lot of things had to be dealt with in order to develop protocols for dealing with trailers--but our Board came through with flying colors.

For those of us whose ACD's are not running, being in the park with our cars fulfills the promise of full club membership.

--Tom

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

More
21 Feb 2011 02:39 #19333 by alsancle
Hi Tom,

I too enjoy seeing unrestored cars or older restorations. Do you bring it on an open trailer? How do you get it on the field? A non-running car presents a number of logistical problems for sure.

A.J.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2011 01:01 #19328 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Graham Hollywood and Hupmobile Skylark for Reunion
Hi Alsancle,

Well, MY Cord has not run for 61 years, and weather permitting I still bring it to Auburn every year. People seem to like to see it.

I'd be [i:12c6ychn]thrilled[/i:12c6ychn] to see the other Hollywood convertible--regardless of condition and restoration status.

--Tom

More
20 Feb 2011 19:58 #19327 by alsancle
Are you looking for restored cars or otherwise? The other known Hollywood Conv is in Massachusetts but is in a state of disrepair. It does not run. Of course, since it has not been seen in public in about 60 years it might be an interesting display!

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2011 00:27 #19317 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

I sympathize with Ken Dunshire's likely disaffection with the Reunion. I recall that perhaps two decades ago a brillliantly, albeit severely, modified Cord 810/812 came to the meet and was in the Park until club officials told the owner that his modified Cord was not welcome.

I thought that was wrong then (and said so), and I still think so today. Wherever his State of Origin was, that state titled that car as a Cord, and it should have been welcomed like any other.

And Alsancle, I think having Hollywoods and Skylarks as a division of the ACD Cllub is a good idea. They are more "Cordish" than our club replicars, and their owners certainly have tales to tell. They are unquestionably part of ACD history and lore. As for these cars fitting in with the Club's stated purpose, well, a lot of "original" Cords may be running around with Skylark/Hollywood fenders, doors, and other restoration/preservation parts on them.

--Tom

More
20 Feb 2011 00:06 #19316 by alsancle
Ken Dunshire's convertible is a very cool car. It would be great to have it at the meet. Perhaps you could get one of the other convertibles?

It's probably heresy but I would open to a having a skylark/hollywood class in the club.

• Ray Parker
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2011 20:06 #19314 by Ray Parker
Replied by Ray Parker on topic Grahams at Auburn
Kellie: I can answer your question about why Kenb Dunshire is not responding to you, when I was the National Meet Chr., another Cord year, I contacted the Club Pres., and via the Board, I was given the OK to have Ken Dunshire's Graham convertible in the park. Ken even agreed to park with the "Replicars" so no one would object to it. Ken sent in his registration plus meals, etc. and everything was fine. Then, the chief judge, at that time, pulled the stupid stunt of calling Ken and telling him he could not bring his Graham convertible into the park, even though he has been a club member for many years.

I persohnalkly apologized to Ken for the phone call and refunded his money. That's probably why he has not answered you -- he was very upset about being banned.

• auburn-kid
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 13:59 #19300 by auburn-kid
I have tried repeatedly to contact Ken based on his directory info and haven't heard back. If anyone has updated contact info, pass it along. Thanks for the other leads. Keep them coming!

Kellie Janousek
Life Member #170

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 12:41 #19299 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic Graham Hollywood and Hupmobile Skylark for Reunion
Ken Dunsire from fort wayne is one of our members
he has a collection of Grahams
in his collection is a convertible that is one of very few
he lives on the north side of Fort Wayne so distance wouldnt be a problem
greg

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 02:04 #19297 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

There's a really nice burgundy Hollywood in or near St Joseph, MI. I'll try to find its owner.

--Tom

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 01:04 #19296 by Mike Brady
Kellie,

You might contact ACD member Chester Counsell in Ontario, Canada as he has a nicely restored example. You will find his contact info in the directory. Better yet, come to the KOOK meet this weekend and ask him directly.

• auburn-kid
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 00:14 #19295 by auburn-kid
Help!

If you own or know someone who owns one of the above-mentioned Cord "Cousins", please contact me. I am looking for car owners who would like to participate in a Special Exhibition at this year's Reunion to help celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the 810 Cord.

Thanks in advance to those who have been trying to help wrangle some of these cars and their owners! Keep trying! It would make a nice addition to our Reunion!

Kellie Janousek
Life Member #170