Help ID this car...

More
05 Mar 2011 19:19 #19470 by John Baeke
John Baeke replied the topic:
Just a few minor comments. First, we need to get away from the term "LeBaron Cords", as they were actually prototypes for the new Duesenberg. Next, my research supports the Connersville mockup you show, to actually be one of the proposals for a 1938 Auburn (note the stylistic "A" in the front emblem). There were several other versions. Obviously these were all done using left over parts, in a hopeless effort to stave off bankruptcy. Part of the shame of it was all the while Roy Faulkner was trying to bolster hope and optimism with the Auburn Automobile/Cord creative staff and dealer network by showing indeed a new Auburn, Cord & Duesenberg was in the hopper, Lucius Manning was (unbeknownst to many other corporate officers) drafting bankruptcy papers.

John Baeke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• streamliner
  • streamliner's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
06 Mar 2011 02:18 #19472 by streamliner
streamliner replied the topic:
Sorry about the incorrect nomenclature on the LeBaron Duesenberg prototypes. I had only made the connection with the rendering minutes before and in my excitement and haste I inadvertently furthered the name which you so diligently worked to erase from the most accurate description of these unique cars. I corrected the post so as not to compound the error for future readers.

Thanks for the Auburn reference for the mockup. A few of those photos show both Cord and Auburn on the same car. It's very easy to get confused as to which one takes priority.

Visit Alex Tremulis' Gyronaut Restoration and History Pages
World's Fastest Motorcycle from 1966 to 1970
www.gyronautx1.com

• streamliner
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
22 Mar 2011 00:53 #19642 by streamliner
John,

I think this belongs to you...

It's so nice to have the pieces of this puzzle fit together!

www.gyronautx1.com

More
22 Mar 2011 01:01 #19643 by John Baeke
Great letter. You are correct this is the LeBaron I now own (Dad bought it from Thel). What else is significant about the letter, it has oft been said of Gordon and Alex, that there was a degree of disdain of one for the other. At least this letter demonstrates, none existed with Alex toward Gordon. Thanks for sharing.

John Baeke

• streamliner
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
22 Mar 2011 01:35 #19644 by streamliner
Alex had the utmost respect for Gordon and expressed it at every opportunity...

www.gyronautx1.com

More
22 Mar 2011 01:56 #19645 by John Baeke
My memories of Alex was a genteel and dapper man who was unassuming, and always had a kind word. Your letter confirms this. As one Club member (A.M.) recently opined, "I tend to believe history has possibly exaggerated Gordon's influence at Auburn, at the expense of others".

John Baeke

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds