Skip to main content

Seabiscuit and ACD Cars

More
26 Jul 2005 02:51 #3401 by owr3
Replied by owr3 on topic Cord in Seabiscuit movie
Bill, Jim Moore, a fellow Club member, owns the Cord sedan you saw thru the window in the background.
oscar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2004 17:10 #2561 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic Seabiscuit and ACD Cars
Josh: I do own the book seabiscuit, give me a couple days to research it and I will get back to you. JIM

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2004 14:46 #2560 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Seabiscuit and ACD Cars
Jim --- I "speedread" Seabiscuit when it came out, but didn't find the Cords. If you own the book, can you give page numbers? Or at least chapters?

Thanks.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2004 21:04 #2557 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic Seabiscuit and ACD Cars
This was a great movie but the book was even better and more detailed. In the book, the fact that Jockey George Wolf owned and drove a Cord Cabriolet was quite prevalent. It was mentioned quite often throughout the book. The author Laura Hildebrand spent 4 years researching the book and talked to many family descendants in her research. I actually spent some time on the net researching Laura Hildebrand to see if I could find out if she learned anything about the Cord in her research but I was unable to find anyway of reaching her. It would be interesting to know where George Wolfs Cord is today. The only problem with the movie was they had the right brand of car, Charles Howard was a Buick Dealer, but the years of the Buicks they used in the movie were wrong for the year they were trying to portray. The original Seabiscuit car is a ' 32 Buick Towncar (1 of 1) and Odyssey Restoration here in Minnesota recently finished a no expense spared restoration. In an article on this car in an early '80s Car Collector magazine, there is a story of when this car was found and it was first thought that they had found a Duesenberg.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2004 05:38 #1338 by Bill Hummel
Seabiscuit and ACD Cars was created by Bill Hummel
How many of you have seen the movie Sea biscuit?

It's not bad! Go rent it. Did you see a couple of ACD cars in the movie? I did ...

First was the beautiful white Auburn Speedster that George Wolf, the "World's Greatest Jockey" drove in front of his admiring fans. I'm glad that most of them didn't realize it was a replica. (Pipes on the passenger side). Still, it made a very dramatic entrance. If this car is one of Glenn Pray's then my apologies! He hates the word "replica." Since he owns the right to the Auburn name, he can call his "Second Generation Auburns".

Next was a Cord 810 or 812. I don't know which it was, or if it was a Cabriolet, Phaeton, Beverly or Westchester. All I could see was the front fender and part of the hood.

It was visable through the window when Jeff Bridges was talking with the owner of War Admiral.

Actually, there may have been a few more. A number of cars drove by in front of the Cord. They went by too fast for my novice eye to discern what they were.