Skip to main content

Carburetor concerns

More
07 Nov 2010 20:15 #18356 by mdsbob
Replied by mdsbob on topic Carburetor concerns

sds1861 wrote: That being said, I think that the root of most all antique car engine fires can be traced to the those "blasted" electric fuel pumps that half the time are incorrectly installed and incorrectly adjusted. If a car is properly restored mechanically, there is no need for an electric fuel pump.

I think if you install a properly rebuilt Schebler carburetor with a properly rebuilt mechanical fuel pump, your car will run fine with no more risk of fire hazard than any other carburetor of updraft design.

Couldn't be said any more succinctly...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2010 14:42 #18351 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic Carburetor concerns
Neal:
All updraft carburetors will run fuel out onto the floor if they are choked and don't start immediately. If that is what he is refering to, it isn't unique to this particular carburetor. The down drafts do the same thing, but the fuel runs down into the combustion chambers flooding the engine and we don't see it. A bad needle valve isn't unique to this particular carburetor either. I have found that the standard brass needle valves work perfectly with mechanical fuel pumps. Even a rough one can be resurfaced and reused.

That being said, I think that the root of most all antique car engine fires can be traced to the those "blasted" electric fuel pumps that half the time are incorrectly installed and incorrectly adjusted. If a car is properly restored mechanically, there is no need for an electric fuel pump.

I think if you install a properly rebuilt Schebler carburetor with a properly rebuilt mechanical fuel pump, your car will run fine with no more risk of fire hazard than any other carburetor of updraft design.

Kindest regards,
Steve Stevens

• Neal Ziff
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2010 15:30 #18346 by Neal Ziff
Carburetor concerns was created by Neal Ziff
I finally located an original carburetor for my "30 8-95 Auburn. A Schebler UX51. The gentleman actually has 2. In my discussion with him, at the risk of undermining the sale, he advised that he would never put one of these in his car unless he was showing the car and needed everything to be absolutely original. His concerns are that they are fire hazards waiting to occur. He boasts decades of carburetor experience and was very generous in his advice, but his position surprised me. No one else I have asked has expressed so much concern. One gentleman said he replaces the needle valve with neoprene (I think) to avoid any leakage and minimize fire risk. I'm sure there must be some opinions out there......

Thanks,
Neal

Neal