Skip to main content

Autopulse fuel pumps

• Ray Parker
  • Registered
More
29 Jul 2003 00:49 #559 by Ray Parker
Replied by Ray Parker on topic Autopulse fuel pump
Autopulse fuel pumps are no longer available, but the company that manufactured them is still in business -- Walboro Co. I recently purchased a six volt electric fuel pump from them through J.C. Whitney Catalog, it is Part No. 73UE0906P, six volt, $39.99 each. It will work either positive or negative ground. It has been working fine for me so far. If you want to replace your Autopulse fuel pump with this one it should work out OK!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Jul 2003 22:38 #554 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Autopulse Rebuilding
Sorry guys, by now the old Autopulse pumps are usually junk. The early ones had brass bellows and the later had rubber. The brass bellows are so old they usually crack from age/stress and the new gasoline eats up the rubber ones. It's much safter to use the electronic push pumps with teflon parts inside. They work on 6V positive ground and last a long time. It's too bad as the Autopulse was a excellent pump. Good enough that Duesenberg used 3 mounted in tandem. Auburn Auto Co. installed them on lots of Cords as well!

Viton, bunan, neoprene, ep rubber all fail in the new fuel. Dupont tells me they have nothing in their bag of tricks.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Lycoming-8
  • Registered
More
28 Jul 2003 06:11 #547 by Lycoming-8
Replied by Lycoming-8 on topic Autopulse fuel pumps
I also have an Autopulse pump on my Auburn, but it has been out of service for many years. Would be interested in a copy of the service instructions. Would also be interested in modern methods and materials for use in rebuilding the unit. If o-rings are deemed suitable, would viton or EP rubber be the better choice? Don't think plain buna-n would be, in view of the mix of components in todays gasoline.

'31 Auburn Coupe

• Dave Henderson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2003 02:04 #544 by Dave Henderson
Autopulse fuel pumps was created by Dave Henderson
From when i first got my Cord in '51 it had an Autopulse electric fuel pump on it to provide backup when the mechanical pump vaporlocked. It always worked great and never gave trouble. But, after 35 plus years of storing the car, the pump wouldn't work. I had spare ones, also aged. One was a nos 24 volter that easily converted to 6 volts by exchanging the electrical components, and it got us through the '02 Auburn parade. However, the die cast is poor on it, and I want to overhaul several better ones. They check out electrically and appear to just need cleaning, new gaskets and adjusting. I have the factory service instructions, (which I will send anyone wanting such) but need to make gaskets. Most are a simple shape, except the two hole one under the filter base and the 2 valve gaskets which are intricate. So, has anyone used O rings in place of these? They both seem to be the same thickness and simply seal round holes. Finally, what pump pressure is desireable for the Cord 810-812's?
Thanks guys, Dave