Skip to main content

Please help authenticate.....

• russv
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 May 2006 23:24 #4819 by russv
Replied by russv on topic Please help authenticate.....
Let me guess the owner is an ex Chevy dealer. He trying to pass off reproductions as real. Last I knew he also had a dual cowl he claimed was real but could not produce a J number and it was pure modern underneath. He also had a fiber glass Auburn speedster, 8/10ths Cord and a real Cord that was heavily customized and that was damaged in a roof collapse about 15 years ago. None of the Dusies are real and his asking price for the Cord was out of this world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 May 2006 22:47 #4818 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Well...
...Chrysler didn't build a 400 in 1936 and the two SSJs built are in private collections (Miles Collier and Alfred Ferrara). However, in the 1970s a company did build very close replicas of SSJs in California, powered by a Chrysler 383 or 440, which seems to be what you've found. I've heard they were good cars, although of course not quite up to par with the real thing... :D
Sorry to burst your bubble. Good luck searching for other garage finds. :)

Chris "CMHSDuesy"

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• bigdaddymc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 May 2006 22:09 #4817 by bigdaddymc
Please help authenticate..... was created by bigdaddymc
I found a "1936 SSJ Roadster" in a garage in Upstate NY and I need some help authenticating the owners claim...He says it is a Duesenberg, but due to the war effort, this car had a Chrysler 400 power plant put in it. First of all is this the real deal????? I can't find enough information to support/debunk his claim. I appreciate any help. I am very interested, but not if my labors won't be worth the effort.
Thanks
George