Skip to main content

ACD Hot Rods?

More
12 Dec 2005 07:24 #4120 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic Cord Rods
Most of the Cords in this country (South Africa) were modified in the 40's,50's and 60's to keep them on the road. Due to the unavailability of spares and the passion of a few guys that were Cord fans, a few cars had their life extended through modification and they avoided being scrapped.
Many saloons were stripped to build up Sportsmans etc. My car is one of those - Just the body was left. I had no choice but to build it with a modern motor and rear-wheel drive.
Many street rods are built because the builders only have the bare basics. My 48 Chev Pick-up streetrod is also an example of this - I only had the cab and chassis to start with. Everything else is fabricated. Strangely it is about 5 times more valuable in its new guise than if it was a restored original.
I have sent you some Cord/Graham/Hupp StreetRod Pics.

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2005 18:10 #4117 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic CORD HOT RODS
Thanks for the encouragement Josh, I am familiar with the Orange Cord with the turning fenders built by Mike Norton of Evansville, Indiana and the Cord that the Guild of Classic Cars is building. Even though I don't dislike modified cars, I do not care for the Orange one and I'm not too sure what I think of the one the Guild built. A modified car to me has to still look like the way it came from the factory. If you want to see the ugliest modified Cord I have ever seen, go to www.huffreport.com click on kustoms and then click on Ugly Kustoms. This was a very poor customization of a beautiful design. Cords have been modified since they were new due to there complexity which wasn't understood as well back then as it is today. I can't believe how many Convertibles I have come across in recent years with Cadillac, Ford, Oldsmobile and Pontiac motors in them. These are Cords that had engine transplants back in the '40s or '50s. If one restores one of these Convertibles back to original, a sedan is usually involved for the original Cord parts and then someone get's the sedan and builds a modern modified car out of it. That seems to be the scenario as I see it anyways.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2005 16:04 #4115 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic ACD Hot Rods?
Great idea, Jim. I'll contribute anything I come across. (Do include the red one with the turning fenders, and check out "Orchid" at the Guld site.)

Sure would be a fun book to read, but get ready for attacks by purists! While I do encourage the saving of every ACD possible, if all else fails I figure that better a rod than a lump of iron oxide blending into the mud.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2005 14:56 #4110 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic MODIFIED CARS
Even though I would never want to see a nice original or restored car modified, I do not have a problem with the modified cars and am attempting to put together a REGISTRY of the modified Auburns, Cords, Hollywood Grahams and Hupmobile Skylarks with eventual plans to produce a BOOK on the modified cars from the early days to the present time. So, if you know of any cars that were modified way back when and are being restored back to original (such as Bill Hummels), ones that are still modified, or any that are currently modified or being modified, please contact me at <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

• Dutch Jacobs
  • Visitor
10 Jun 2003 01:49 #368 by Dutch Jacobs
Replied by Dutch Jacobs on topic ACD Hot Rods?
I have considered making fiberglass copies of some or all of the body panels of mine, with an eye toward building a tube frame later and effectively duplicating the whole car as a monster muscle machine (with class!).

But any such idea has to wait until I get home for good.

~Dutch

• PushnFords
  • Registered
More
12 May 2003 14:19 #291 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Hot Rod
[url:1oe3l4fs]http&#58;//cgi&#46;ebay&#46;com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI&#46;dll?ViewItem&item=2414925107&category=6472[/url:1oe3l4fs]

Just saw this one today.

Derek

• steve kuiper
  • Visitor
11 May 2003 15:55 #289 by steve kuiper
Replied by steve kuiper on topic cord hot rods
i' seen several rod/cords. one was recenty on the cover of a car magazine. its bright red and the wheels and fenders turn at the same time.
the guild of classic car restorers in doing a very expensive art deco fantasy rod which has a jaguar engine and considerable body modifications. pictures are on their website.
a guy in michigan is doing a cord woodie. i have not seen that yet but plan to visit him sometime.
i'm sure there are others. all of these were based on sedan bodies.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 May 2003 23:02 #261 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Re: They are out there......

Auburn/Cord Parts wrote: There was a hot rod Auburn on eBay earlier this year. A Cord in California has a flat head Cadillac engine. Another in Wyoming has a 289.

Stan

Any pictures of them?

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2003 19:48 #255 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic They are out there......
There was a hot rod Auburn on eBay earlier this year. A Cord in California has a flat head Cadillac engine. Another in Wyoming has a 289.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 May 2003 02:45 #252 by Bill Hummel
ACD Hot Rods? was created by Bill Hummel
I know that this is a very dark topic. One that is rarely spoken of around here ...

But who has seen an ACD hotrod lately? I saw a lavendar Auburn Hotrod at the 50th last year in Auburn. No it wasn't just the paint job. I know E.L. liked to paint the cars with bright colors. It was the Digital Dashboard and the modern valve covers that tipped me off. The load rumble was another clue! I liked it!

Were they any others out there? I know mine was on the road to becoming one when I "rescued" it.

I like Hotrods, and I may own one someday, but its not going to be an ACD car.

I guess the ACD cars are just too valuable to hotrod? If anyone has any pictures of some, send them to:

<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]