Skip to main content

Are Members with newer cars welcome to Club functions?

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Jul 2005 19:35 #3339 by balinwire
Hi ya'll,

Here are a few pictures of a mod engine bay. Nice safe driver, I am not converting mine but, Humm--- it would sure be reliable and I could tow my camper.

Looks stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
11 Jul 2005 17:47 #3337 by Al Hatch
Hi,

The concerns with replicars and modified cars have been around since the advent of the Club. As a member of the BOD's for the past eight years, which two of them I served as President of the Club, there has been no discussion or discouraging remarks made about the owners of replicar or modified vehicles. To that point, the BOD's changed the registration classification to read 'non original and modified'. In as much as we encourage the restoration of these fine cars we also recognize the value and participation of individuals who own replicars and modified cars and we do not under any circumstances discriminate against them.

I for one, would like to see the owners of the replicar/modified establish judging rules where as they could be judged along with the rest of the cars. The only limitations would be the car could not be elgible for 'Best Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg or Best of Show'. I believe most everyone would understand this. The question comes in as to how would one judge these cars and if there is a knowledgable group of people our there that could properly judge them to the same standards as the original cars.

Would BOD's address ligitimate request and as of this date, the current BOD's of the past eight years have never had a request to establish a judged class for these vehicles. Is there someone out there who is willing to step up to the plate and get the ball rolling?

Al Hatch, PNP
Current Board of Director member.

More
27 Jun 2005 08:22 #3283 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic Right-hand drive Cords - reply to Balinwire
Hi there. Thanks for your words on encouragement - the car is coming along nicely - a bit slow right now while doing the bodywork.
Most right-hand drive Cords were made for small orders to the British Colonies which included Southern Africa, Australia, New Zealand etc. Japan interestingly enough is also right-hand drive. All European Countries and their ex-colonies in Africa are left-hand drive - very confusing!!

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
27 Jun 2005 01:48 #3282 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Old Time conversion book
To get exposed to the hobby, well I guess it really was the hobby of hotrods, was the need for a running automobile to drive. The 30?s and 40?s cars were plentiful except the obsolete running trains needed to be replaced. The guys learned trades in the war and came home to meld the new giant v8? Hemis and small blocks into the 50?s and early 60?s autos.

To get a car when out of high school you would need a couple of thousand dollars to get a new Mustang. So why not buy a 40?s converted coupe, woody or any of the vehicles the guys were selling for peanuts back then.

That?s what we drove and hoped to keep them running long enough to start our own families and possibly have the dream of bigger garages and more tools.

One thing you notice when you compare a modified and original is the patina of the gauges and the sound of the early motors. One can only hope to admire the old mirrors, seating and large steering wheels. You learn about the beautiful classics and strive to own an original specimen.

This leads to the search to the obsession to acquire more original vehicles. In the case of the Auburn marque they were precious to start with and rare. ?Luckily? the 810-12 series had the futuristic front wheel drive setup. Had the 810 had been rear wheel drive the conversion would have been simpler and I feel conversions would have been much more common and there would have been many fewer original survivors.

Thankfully, many if not most were undisturbed with help from aftermarket parts suppliers.

Some of these were not collector cars at one time but transportation. They were modified in the fifties and they are already cut. This was not condemned in the past and I have seen sedans with the doors filled and the tops cut off!

It is now almost prohibitive with no motors and drives reasonably priced to bring a body back within reasonably stock appearance. One can only hope for more reproduction parts.

Your idea of the conversion reference book is a good idea. It would be interesting to see how the old timers shoehorned replacement drives in. There was an old article I saw with a picture of a member installing a Cadillac motor in backwards and fitting the water pump on in the front with tubing. The steering had several knuckles to clear the exhaust. There is much to learn from there experiences.

They deserve some recognition for there contributions. Once again I would not condone any disturbance of an original but when there is just a body and some fenders and someone can bring these few parts to their former glory tastefully, live and let live.

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
26 Jun 2005 18:50 #3280 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic MODIFIED CARS AND REPLICAS
Seems we have two subjects going on here. I find the one about the controversy of Modified Cars and Replicas quite interesting. As a 2nd generation member, I personally believe in this day and age, it's time for the club to have a division for the modified cars. The owners obviously have an interest in the ACD Marque or they wouldn't own the car in the first place and there are several members that have Modified Cars or Replicas, even some old timers. And as time goes on, there are going to be more and more modified cars. Personally, the beauty in these cars for me is in the design, not the mechanicals. Everyone who remembers when they saw there first ACD car, what attracted it to you in the first place????, I'll bet it was the design of the car, not the mechanicals. If you do any research on these cars, you'll find they have been modified since the time they were new and alot of the ones that were modified way back when, seem to be showing up on e-bay. I've actually started to collect material on the modified Auburns, Cords, Graham Hollywoods, and Hupmobile Skylarks to do a book, so if you know anyone who owns a modified example of these marques or is building one or have any photos, magazine or newspaper articles, please contact me at <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. I would like the book to be from the early days to the current days. You will receive credit for whatever you send. Many Thanks in advance. To me, Bill Hummels Cord Cabriolet is not a mutt. It is a CORD with a modern drivetrain. Now for a little clarification, I do not approve of taking a very nice original or restored car and modifying it but if you already have one that's modified or want to build a modified car from an unrestored car, I don't see anything wrong with that. Unfortunately, not all of us have a zillion dollars and a modified car may be our only way to own our dream car. I'm sure I've probably opened a can of worms here but it is my personal opinion and no one elses.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2005 15:14 #3277 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Re: replicas

MICHAEL S SMITH wrote: BILL

I HAVE EVEN SEEN THIS KIND OF NONSENSE DIRECTED AT GLENN PRAY, WHO EVERYONE IN THIS CLUB SHOULD GET ON THEIR KNEES AND THANK, EACH AND EVERY DAY FOR HIS EFFORTS, AND FORESIGHT, WITHOUT WHICH, WE ALL WOULD BE IN A WORLD OF HURT TRYING TO COME UP WITH PARTS ETC. FOR OUR CARS.

You can thank him personally in Auburn this year. He is the Grand Marshall.

I consider the replicas and "2nd generation cars" to be ambassadors running around creating demand for the original cars. No point being one of the last 50 guys in the world with a car that no one has heard of!

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2005 15:12 #3276 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Hat &amp; Bag for Club Display

Al Hatch wrote: Hi Bill,

The items look good. You did not say if you are willing to donate one of each item for the Club's display at the museum.
Al Hatch

I will donate one of each to the Club. Might even be mine!

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2005 13:47 #3275 by balinwire
Ray, I checked your website and can see you are doing a fine job. One thing I noticed is the dash on the right hand drive car has the temp reversed. Of course the radio also. Where were right hand cars required, England, India, South Africa? The old British Empire, Australia? My car, left hand drive, was an export but it went to the mainland european continent, where they must use left hand drive, confusing, to say the least.

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jun 2005 20:02 #3272 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic replicas
BILL

I DON'T HAVE A REPLICA ACD CAR, BUT I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN SOMEWHAT DISTRESSED WHEN ATTENDING AUBURN, DURING THE PARADE ALL CARS AND OWNERS ARE IDENTIFIED AT THE REVIEWING STAND, UNTIL THE REPLICAS ARRIVE, ALWAYS AT THE END, AND THE PA SAYS AND HERE ARE THE REPLICAS!!!,AND THATS IT. IN OTHER WORDS DON'T LET THE SCREEN DOOR HIT YOU IN THE BUTT, AND WE REALLY DON'T CARE THAT YOU TOOK THE TIME AND ENERGY TO COME AND SHARE YOUR LOVE FOR ACD CARS WITH "US". PERHAPS IF POLICIES LIKE THIS WERE CHANGED YOU WOULDN'T HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS ABOUT WHETHER NEWER ACD CARS ARE WELCOME AT MEETS. I HAVE EVEN SEEN THIS KIND OF NONSENSE DIRECTED AT GLENN PRAY, WHO EVERYONE IN THIS CLUB SHOULD GET ON THEIR KNEES AND THANK, EACH AND EVERY DAY FOR HIS EFFORTS, AND FORESIGHT, WITHOUT WHICH, WE ALL WOULD BE IN A WORLD OF HURT TRYING TO COME UP WITH PARTS ETC. FOR OUR CARS.
SORRY TO GET ON MY SOAPBOX BUT THATS MY OPINION.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

More
24 Jun 2005 10:28 #3270 by RayCord
Replied by RayCord on topic Newer cars
It is interesting that many vintage / classic car clubs here in South Africa have the same dilemma. I have seen membership of clubs literally "dying off" as they try to enforce rules and regulations on "original" cars.
My view is that you need to attract younger people to any club to ensure its survival, and the barrier of entry should be low enough to encourage owners of replicas, resto-rods etc. to join. They already have a passion for the marque, and could become future owners of the "real thing" as they learn more and have access to the club.
Regards
Ray

Cords in South Africa - visit my website: www.cordinsa.visible.co.za

• Al Hatch
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2005 01:01 #3055 by Al Hatch
Hi Bill,

The items look good. You did not say if you are willing to donate one of each item for the Club's display at the museum. Please let me know what your decision is. As for my personal collection, would you set aside one hat and bag and bring them to Auburn? If this is okay, I will pay you for them at that time or if you prefer I can send you a check now.

Please adivse.

Al Hatch

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Apr 2005 15:08 #3053 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic ACD TEXAS MEET STUFF
Hi Al,

We had a number of things at the Texas Meet.

We all had hanging name badges courtesy of Texas Driver Magazine. We also gave out Hats and Travel Bags.

Check the MISC FOR SALE section. We have a number of those left, but they all got paid for by me. I am selling them on the website to get some money back. 100% of the profits go to the Club. I also want to give the next Texas Chairman more money than I got this year.

We've been in the black for the last several years and I need to keep the momemtum going by selling the rest of our bags and hats. I will bring any extras to Auburn and sell them there too.

Again, 100% of the profits go to the club.

• Al Hatch
  • Registered
More
18 Apr 2005 14:35 #3052 by Al Hatch
Hi Bill,

Pat and I just got back from our Australia, New Zealand and Tahati/Bora-Bora trip. We have been gone for 5 weeks and took in the Australiam Region Meet while in Australia. Sorry we could not do both things at the same time but hope to make next years Texas meet.

Speaking of your meet; I have heard that it was extremely successful and well attended. My congratulatins goes out to you. As keeper of the club memorabilia that is on display at the museum you would have any left over 'give aways' of memorabilia that you could donate to the Club? I got some really nice stuff from the Australians and will be taking it to Auburn this coming weekend.

Let me know if you have anything.

CORDially,

Al Hatch

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2005 15:18 #2960 by Bill Hummel
I feel that I must bring up this topic in a Public Forum now.

I have been working non-stop for 6 months to put on a quality Mini-Meet in Texas for our Club Members and their guests. It is going to pay off because you are responding overwhelmingly. It seems that ACD Club members want a top-notch meet in a more upscale setting. I am happy to report that we will have one of the largest Mini-Meets on record!

I am also quite distressed by a number of private messages sent to me asking if Members and Car owners with new generation cars are welcome at our Meets.

The stated purpose of the ACD Club is that it is An Organization for the Restoration and Preservation of Original AUBURN, CORD and DUESENBERG Automobiles. This is not going to change. This is why the Club has survived for 50 years and why it is so highly respected.

However, the Club recognizes that our cars have been honored by the public as being some of the mostly highly-sought vehicles in the world and that many reproductions are being made every day. There can be no higher compliment!

It is my opinion that as long as newer cars are identified as such, there is NO REASON why Club members cannot participate in any club function.

These cars are getting older every day and parts are getting harder and harder to find. How many cars are out there that are complete with no reproduction parts? Very few I suspect.

My car has a newer engine. Is my car a replica? No! It is an original car that is in an incomplete form that is in process of restoration.

Is a re-bodied Duesenberg a replica? Some would say yes. It certainly is not original.

Folks, this is is a CLUB. One of its main purposes is for members to get together and share good times. That's why I joined. When it stops being fun, or when members with newer cars are being treating as Second-Class members, then that is when I stop coming to club functions.

One last pitch for the Texas Meet. Everyone in Texas wants you to stop by and bring your car! I don't care how late it is, we'll do our best to accommodate you. You can get a last-minute registration form in the Events & Meets Area.

See you at the Gaylord Texan in April!