• BSteinIPMS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
31 May 2013 14:43 #25291 by BSteinIPMS
BSteinIPMS replied the topic:
Hi Brad,

Well, now this is really getting scary!

My older brother went to Drexel as a Physics major for two years before he transferred over to Penn for Psyche to become a psychologist.

My Dad was also an electrical & electronic engineer. He worked at Leeds & Northrup on the timing controls for the atom bomb, or so I was told.

Do I remember the Convair F2Y Sea Dart? Here's a shot I took in 1963 when I hopped the fence at Willow Grove NAS to photograph all the warbirds parked there. (Didn't get caught) I had my mother's square-format Kodak and I though if I held the camera diagonally I could get closer to the aircraft. This was long before I was able to buy my first 35mm film camera.

The lineup of WWII aircraft has grown smaller: the Japanese A6M5 Zero was removed and sent to the NASM, Smithsonian for refurbishment & display. Same for the P-40 and (I believe) the Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu (Rex).

I wonder if we're twin brothers of different mothers? (grin)
Cheers!
--Bob

silverghost wrote: In 1975 I again met Buzz at Drexel University where I was attending engineering school.

Dad was an electrical/electronics engineer and dad later helped to re-design the faulty electrical system & add specially designed sealed switches on the Apollo capsule's total re-design .
BOB~~~
Do you also remember the blue Convair F2Y Sea Dart Navy "X" test fighter with water ski float pontoons that was once at the North East Philadelphia Naval Supply Depot inside the fence on display ?
It is now on site at the Willow Grove NAS Naval flight museum !
It was designed to land & take-off on water~~~
It was a mach 1 + supersonic delta wing seaplane fighter with 4 20MM cannons.
It was designed to replace the need for aircraft carriers.
Up to this point in time 1948-51 the US Navy carriers could only launch & capture subsonic small jet aircraft .
Their ctapults were & arresting gear was not powerfull enough~~~and the existing carrier's decks were way too short.
I believe only 4 prototype "X" F2Y examples were ever built & tested ?
My Dad worked on this then "Top Secret" "X" plane also !
It was not a success as the sucked-in saltwater ruined the jet engine's turbine blades~~~
Fresh water use was successful however !

BRAD~~~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
31 May 2013 15:10 #25293 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:

Thomas Wilcock wrote: In 2006 I visited a friend, Kurt Ritthaler in Huntington Valley and he took me to the museum and to Steve Pitcairn's airfield and workshop/hangar. Steve was building a replica biplane. I forget what make it was. One of his autogiros and a Pitcairn Mailwing and antique motorcycles were among the many interesting things to see there. Steve gave me a copy of his book, "Legacy of Wings" The Harold Pitcairn Story. It was a memorable weekend. So much history to absorb. Tom

Hi Thomas~~~

Sadly Steve Pitcairn passed-away on 4-2-2008~~

He was a super guy who also once lived just a half mile from my home.
I met him locally in H~V & Bryn Athen Pa on at least two dozen occasions.

His late Father Harold Pitcairn once bought & owned a new Duesenberg model "J" ~~~a Murphy clearvision sedan.

The car was said to have had a dual carb intake manifold with two very large Winfield perfomance carburators ! ?
I often wonder if Harold himself had this unique carb/intake set-up added after delivery ?

Sorry~~~~
The "J" number escapes me for the moment ?
{ Edit: J 308 ~~ 2337 }

http://duesey186.com/Datasheets/Model_J ... rm2337.htm

Shortly before Steve's passing I discovered that his father Harold's model "J" was up for sale.
Immediately I called Steve with this great news as Steve had often wondered who had owned his Father's former Duesenberg auto~~~~
His family had a number of old photos of his father with this great auto.

Steve had alredy purhased ten years prior one of his late father's Packards which is now on display at one of Pitcairn family Mansion estates ~~~now used as a local Museum complex ~~

Steve had me contact the ower and ask all the details on the car~~~
I called Steve back, gave him the owner's contact information, car details, and current asking price.

Steve was thrilled to say the very least, and immediatly said that he was going to BUY the Duesenberg and donate it to the Bryn Athen Cairnwood/Glencairn twin Mansions museum collections~~~~

Sadly this was not to be ~~~
as Steve sadly passed-away just shortly thereafter ~~~~

BRAD~~~

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Bob Roller
More
01 Jun 2013 20:44 #25308 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Astronauts etc.
The day after the moon landing I met a member of the Flat Earth Society that said it was a movie and never happened. To think that these peope live among us and reproduce and worst of all VOTE.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• silverghost
More
05 Jun 2013 14:12 #25342 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Bob~~
There was a second Sea Dart prototype displayed at the Naval Supply Depot in North East Philadelphia .
It had a checkerboard pattern painted on part of it's tail.

That plane disappeared decades ago.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds