Woods-bodied town car

• West Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 18:19 #20292 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Woods-bodied town car
Just to be clear, my original post said "not particularly good looking." I didn't bring up the "ugly". My comment was only meant in relative terms to a sportier body style, whether sedan, roadster or town car. If one were to rate the styling of all Duesenberg town cars, this one would probably be well down the list.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 18:14 #20291 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Ugly?
Hi,

Not at ALL ugly to my thinking. It's a car of its times. And a beautiful example thereof.

I'll make room for it in MY garage any day!

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 16:56 #20289 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Woods-bodied town car
There's some truth to every joke. At least one 1941 Packard had a similar body (by Bohman & Schwartz) so that its elderly owner could enter and exit the car while standing upright.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 16:39 #20287 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic High hat limo
A.J.
It was indeed a High Hat body style and I recall the day my wife got me a copy of Fred Roe's book that the first car I saw when I opened it was J315. Maybe the owner wanted to stand up and stretch a bit without getting out of the car. Levity aside,it was part of the story as was the Woods bodied car and the 5 Weymann fabric bodied sedans.Richard Quick has restored to as near to original one of the Weymann fabric covered cars and it is the only one ever brought back so at least there is one to look at from time to time. It is not a bad looking car at all and is totally 1930 in all respects The other cars still exist but have been rebodied to sportier appearance types.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 16:27 #20286 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic J315
A recreated Murphy dual cowl phaeton. To quote that great philosopher, Gomer Pyle,"Geeohgollywhiz".
How many "J"'s carry a new DCP body? J487,the first "J" I ever saw and later helped reassemble was an out of proportion car with the top up but not too bad with it down. The Marcus Lawrence Brunn bodied DCP IMHO was certainly a trend setter or should have been. It made the others look like relics in a day when relics were in vogue.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
14 Jun 2011 16:20 #20285 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Woods-bodied town car
J315 was a High Hat Rollston? I can say that I've never seen a "High Hat" body that I found attractive.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 15:16 #20283 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Woods-bodied town car
It is, as Bob said, what it was intended to be. I can't say I care for what they did with the interior, but it's his car and he can do what he wants to with it.

J-315 is still in Texas with an enthusiastic owner who seems to love it. It has a recreated Murphy Dual Cowl Phaeton body.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• fyreline
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 12:16 #20281 by fyreline
Replied by fyreline on topic Woods-bodied town car
I entirely agree. Not all Model J's were Torpedo Phaetons, but they all represented exactly what their owners wanted.

And it's not THAT ugly. Well, not entirely.

• West Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 12:05 #20280 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Woods-bodied town car
Here's a link to J315:
www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/chas ... dNumID=160

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jun 2011 02:21 #20277 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Woods limo
Even the ugly ones must be preserved.This stands out like a goose egg in a coal bucket. Those of you who have a copy of Fred Roe's book should open it and take a look at J315.THAT is one horrid example of wasted effort but it is what someone wanted. It does not look like that now and I don't know what the status is.
The head in the foreground of one of the pictures,is that one of Jim Schneck's new ones?
Leno is to be commended for this restoration of a car that 60 years ago would have been parted out or scrapped altogether.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
13 Jun 2011 23:20 #20274 by alsancle

More
13 Jun 2011 22:53 #20273 by alsancle
West, I agree on all points. I was very impressed with the way that car came out. Btw, I was watching the episode on the HD channel last night where Randy & Jay drive the X back to the garage where it was found. You can see that cool A roadster that Randy bought in the corner covered with 50 years of stuff. Other than the Byrd estate, that garage may be at the top of the "barn find" list of cool.

• West Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jun 2011 20:43 #20271 by West Peterson
Woods-bodied town car was created by West Peterson
Congratulations and a "tip of the hat" to Jay Leno and Randy Ema for the fantastic restoration of a car that would not normally get restored. It's not a particularly good looking Duesenberg, and I imagine that most would have removed the body and built something else. This car will now be preserved forever, barring a disaster of some sort.