Skip to main content

Please ID this Murphy Torpedo CC

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2011 12:31 #20381 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Please ID this Murphy Torpedo CC
Any alternate guesses are always welcomed. I still don't know one way or another, for sure, I just take my best guess based upon information made available to me.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• landmark
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2011 12:27 #20380 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Please ID this Murphy Torpedo CC

Chris Summers wrote: From Club member John Mereness in Ohio:

I believe it is the Don Carr car that is in ACD Museum. When the car was restored prior to ACD museum getting car it was same green on body, but silver skirted fenders and silver painted wires wheels (also traditional lights and correct rear bumper). I am not sure what club member donated funds to have Brain Joseph ? convert to open clambshell fenders and 19" wheels (and at that time it was cleaned up and new top and possibly some or all of the interior as well). Most recently (like w/in past two years Brian did considerable engine work on the car. And my guess is the building is the one in Englewood, OH that was once owned by Leo Gephart. My guess was that the local AACA group was out touring on day the photo was snapped.

In defense of my guess, I still believe that the car is J-414 / 2199 pre-restoration. To the best of my knowledge J-476 / 2485 (the Carr car) never had the bullet-shaped headlights, and the shape of the skirted front fenders is slightly different in comparing photos. J-414 / 2199 lived in Ohio for decades in that condition so the Gephart building could be a guess.

Hello,

on "automobile quarterly" Volume 30, Number 4, at page 73 there is a foto of exact that car with those "bulled-shaped headlights".
According to the text at that page it is a Murphy Speedster, J476 / 2485 originally owned by by Cliff Durant.

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2011 10:40 #19270 by Chris Summers
From Club member John Mereness in Ohio:

[i:26zum6w1]I believe it is the Don Carr car that is in ACD Museum. When the car was restored prior to ACD museum getting car it was same green on body, but silver skirted fenders and silver painted wires wheels (also traditional lights and correct rear bumper). I am not sure what club member donated funds to have Brain Joseph ? convert to open clambshell fenders and 19" wheels (and at that time it was cleaned up and new top and possibly some or all of the interior as well). Most recently (like w/in past two years Brian did considerable engine work on the car. And my guess is the building is the one in Englewood, OH that was once owned by Leo Gephart. My guess was that the local AACA group was out touring on day the photo was snapped.[/i:26zum6w1]

In defense of my guess, I still believe that the car is J-414 / 2199 pre-restoration. To the best of my knowledge J-476 / 2485 (the Carr car) never had the bullet-shaped headlights, and the shape of the skirted front fenders is slightly different in comparing photos. J-414 / 2199 lived in Ohio for decades in that condition so the Gephart building could be a guess.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2011 02:18 #19265 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Please ID this Murphy Torpedo CC
THanks for the great info! I double checked, and I was mistaken about the date of the photos. The fellow said that he was GIVEN the pictures in the early '80's, not that he took them in the '80's.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2011 22:26 #19258 by Chris Summers
That would be J-414 / 2199 (originally J-178). The restored car has been in the Blackhawk Museum for many years. It is now red with original-style open fenders and headlights.

The photo COULD be from the early 1980s as the car still looked like that then, but I think it doubtful given the background, as Bob pointed out.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2011 22:19 #19257 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Murphy boat tail
Joel,
I THINK it may be the one that was donated to the ACD museum by Don Carr some years ago. It may be J461 but Chris can tell us for sure. It had skirted fenders like this one and is a SWB. I don't think anything in the back ground is anytime in the 1980's.
Hopefully,a little more positive input can be stirred up.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2011 20:15 #19256 by Joel
Please ID this Murphy Torpedo CC was created by Joel
Hi, Does anyone know what car this is? Pics are supposed to be from the eary '80's. Thanks, Joel

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img