Tow Trucks.

More
09 Dec 2013 09:22 #26440 by landmark
landmark replied the topic: Re: truck

Joel wrote:

landmark wrote:
...I just "fall over" this older posting. Do you know where do you find that picture at the Curtright website/ to which car (J-number) that picture belongs?

As I read in an old road & track article, J-132 was at a time used as a pick-up truck on a farm, until Homer Fitterling purchased the car and equiped the chassis with a Murphy CC body he had "in stock". Is that maybe the car on the picture?

I know that a forum-member is today the proud owner and driver of that Murphy CC, maybe he owns some photos of the "pick-up time" of his car and like to share them...

Cheers

Matt

J-132 was never actually made into a truck. In the time that I spent with Keith and Gerri Brown, I learned that the Road and Track article has several innacuracies. Paul S. Johnson, a Chicago-area plumber did remove the rear portion of the original Derham sedan body, planning to build a truck on it's 17,000 original mile chassis. He never completed the conversion, however, and eventually sold the car to Keith Brown of LaPorte, Indiana in October of 1957. It was Keith who mounted the Murpy CC body and sold the car to his friend Homer Fitterling.

Hello Joel,

thank you for the corrections, I am always learning.

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
09 Dec 2013 14:22 #26442 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Joel, I didn't know that - thanks!

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
09 Dec 2013 22:00 #26450 by landmark
landmark replied the topic: Re: A bit more

Bob Roller wrote: The car I said was needing an upgrade to be deplorable was J214,a, or maybe THE Wolfington tourer.a long wheelbase car wth unusual moulding prescribed by the original owner,John Eberson,a designer of art deco theaters. It went thru a series of owners and when I saw it in the early 1950's it belonged to Melvin Clemens in Clarksburg WV. A subsequent owner contacted me years later and was restoring it as time and money allowed and I THINK the designer of the car,Herb Newport was also involved. It was eventually purchased by a Canadian who finished the restoration and I will say it looked good. The odd appearence with the curlycue moulding must be viewed with the thought that THIS was what it was when new,by request and design.It will be then appreciated for what it really is,a custom built car from bumper to bumper.It seems to me there was another body shop initially involved but went broke,or maybe it was Wolfington that went broke and THEN another shop finished it. Anyway,it is alive again. Left to me,in the early 50's.I would have either restored the chassis or parted it out. We did get it started in Melvin's garage and it sounded like the pistons were changing holes and smoked like a volcano,totally worn out from running full bore and powering a water well drilling apparatus.
The gentleman from Canada now has another phaeton restored but I have seen only pictures of this one and the Wolfington he donated to a museum in Alberta. I think I sent them info on it as well at their request.

Bob Roller

Hello Bob,

I like that story!

When I saw a picture of that car the first time (in the Elbert-book) I thought by myself "Oh man"...
You are right the curly hood and body mouldings are very "special"...

Here it is in its original appearance: http://www.duesey2208.com/Datasheets/Mo ... rm2240.htm

And here are two photos (you have to "go down" some pictures) as the car is now displayed @Reynolds Alberta Museum. http://www.albertawow.com/hikes/Reynold ... Museum.htm

I must say in that colour-combination and with the closed roof-top, it looks not so bad.

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
09 Dec 2013 22:15 #26451 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Bob will correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall him once describing J-214 "as-found" as looking like it had been hit by two coal trucks, going at a high rate of speed in opposite directions.

Bernie Aaron's other phaeton - a rebodied Murphy, J-183 - was sold earlier this year, and now resides overseas.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Bob Roller
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
10 Dec 2013 03:44 #26452 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: J214
I did say that it was looking as I described but more accurately,the description should have been gross neglect of a once fine car.I saw it at Auburn when the Canadian owned it and I thought it was elegant. That wood work was superb and the color combination is great.
The Canadian Museum asked me about the car as I once saw it in 1953 and I couldn't give them much help because of the derelict condition.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• West Peterson
More
11 Dec 2013 13:52 #26464 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
The pickup Duesenberg (now J-350) is the car my dad purchased in the 1980s. I remember driving it (restored), and it sure drove like a truck. I'm pretty sure that the steering box and all associated pieces needed some major overhaul. I wonder if it was ever done.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds