Jim Hoe Sportscar Garage 1950s Memory

More
17 Jun 2013 20:55 #25444 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic:
Brad . Jim Hoe was a good friend of mine and I have all his Duesenberg files. I am only aware of one Racer that he built himself and raced which was j183 now a Murphy dual cowl pheaton in Canada and for sale . He did work on other racers though but none that were succesful. R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • silverghost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
17 Jun 2013 21:07 #25445 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Randy Thank's ! ! !

Perhapps the other second "J" racer that we saw in his "Sportscar Garage" in Westin Ct. was owned by one of his racing customers ?
I found it unique in the fact that it's chassis was drilled, shortened, & lightened .
It was also in very badly battered & butchered shape ~~~much like Jim's J-183 pictured on Jack Curtright's Duesenberg notes website.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
18 Jun 2013 00:08 #25447 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic:
Jims car was shortened and lightened via holes . R

• Bob Roller
More
18 Jun 2013 02:17 #25452 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Duesenberg racer
From the pictures I have seen of this car,what Jim lacked in ability to make a body he made up for with enthusiasm.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
07 Aug 2013 08:28 #25687 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:

silverghost wrote: WOW !

Jim Hoe's old J-183 sure has had many new lives & reincarnations over the decades~~~

It appears that at least many parts of this old car, along with Jim Hoe's old White truck 5 speed transmission conversion, radiator shell, chassis/engine etc. are scattered all over & among a number of other existing Model "J"s.
I was told by Robert that J-183 was once in Dee Howard's ownership !
Perhapps he also got some of Jim Hoe's many other model "J" spares ?

Is it possible his second hillclimb racer (J-number still unknown to me ) was also parted-out & stored by Karl Klieve ?
Could this chassis have been the drilled,lightened & shortened chassis I spoke of earlier ,that Karl is said to have eventually scrapped & dumped ?

Hello,

the car (replica body in Murphy DCP style) with the Bell-housing of J-183 is published by RM Auctions, as sold @St. John's auction for a price of $682000.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1060306

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

More
22 Oct 2013 20:41 #26157 by Muzzlehatch
Muzzlehatch replied the topic: Road Race
The first car novel that I ever read was [i:1xwl4dr4]Road Race[/i:1xwl4dr4] by Philip Harkins (1952) back in 1960.
It was about a teen named Dave who lives near Branchville, Connecticut, and who wants to join an outlaw hot rod club. The club has as its initiation the requirement that a prospective member challenge the Branchville constable to a night race. The lawman, who is referred to as "Santa Claus" because of his beard, drives an unnamed cruiser that the rodders call a Stupid Six.
As the story progresses, Dave, in his crudely tuned Model A Ford, is ultimately caught by the constable, whose car has been souped up by a mechanic, Webb Walden, who restores and races Duesenbergs. He saves Dave from jail and the loss of his driver's license. As a condition of his suspended sentence, Dave goes to work at Webb's auto repair shop and learns the finer points of race car building and racing.
Harkins credits Jim Hoe and Gayle Smith for the technical help that he received in writing the book, along with Hagen Morris of Westport and W.T. Sperry of Danbury.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds