Jim Hoe Sportscar Garage 1950s Memory

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
16 Dec 2010 03:42 #18799 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Ken Purdy wrote an article on Reuter, "The Body Beautiful," for the September 1970 issue of "Holiday" magazine. The article was reprinted in the 1972 "Ken Purdy's Book of Automobiles." It is wonderful reading on the oldest of old-school restoration.

[i:3tkbpxu5]Reuter drives a Ford. "I've ever been able to afford a car I restored," he says. "And anyway I don't have the collectors' mentality. Collectors are strange people."[/i:3tkbpxu5]

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
16 Dec 2010 19:35 #18807 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic:
Gus Reuter's comment, "And anyway I don't have the collectors' mentality", reminds me of another mechanics comment, "We dont own them, they are for rich people". Sometimes it occurs to me which stable I belong.
Tom Waits said, "Jim Jarmuch once told me Fast, Cheap, and Good...pick two. If it's fast and cheap it wont be good. If it's cheap and good it won't be fast. If it's fast and good it won't be cheap. Fast, cheap and good...pick (2) words to live by.

• Bob Roller
More
17 Dec 2010 14:29 #18818 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Gus Reuter
First,a short German lesson.Reuter in German is pronounced ROYter,not ROOTER.
Wasn't he the man who did the body making or at least the supervising of it on J397.the Rudolph Bauer car? Seems to me I saw some reprints of drawings,actually sketches of that car with all sorts of German scribbling around them.I don't know iof the scribbling was his or Bauer's. He must have worked for Rollston,later on reorganized as Rollson. I heard they are still doing sheet metal work and made or are still making galley equipment for the Navy.One thing is certain,the body work Rollston did was fine.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Bob Roller
More
18 Dec 2010 13:54 #18827 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Mix up on the Deutschevolk
I win the bonehead award for the moment at least.I got the Germans mixed up on the Bauer car. Rudy Creteur was the man at Rollson and NOT Gus Reuter.
I think Gus Reuter also had a good reputation for doing fine upholstery on high dollar cars..There is a man across the street from me that can do high class interiors on cars IF he can be talked into it.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• silverghost
  • silverghost's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2013 17:55 #25416 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic: A. James Hoe's Hill Climb Duesenbergs ?
When Dad, & I as a little kid in the late 50s-early 60s first met Jim Hoe , at his small Weston Ct. "Sports Car Garage" he owned two stripped-down model "J" Hill Climb race Duesenbergs that he used to race from time to time.

To Jim the giant Duesenberg Model "J"s were the "Sportscars " he actually specialized in !

They were in a heavily battered, butchered, & chopped body condition as I remember~~~

Jim really beat the living daylights out of these cars.
He would often appear at a fairly local hill climb event Giant's Despair Hillclimb in Penna. from time to time ~~~and I actually saw him race during at least two of these hill-climb events~~but I was very young at this time to have remembered very much of these hillclimb race events.

The Model "j"s did not have the crazy high values at this time period~~~as they do today.
And Jim was really "only into" their engineering & mechanical performance~~~ and really did not care one bit what they actually looked like cosmetically according to my Dad!

My questions to the ACD forum members~~~

What ever happened to Jim Hoe's two hill-climb Duesenberg model "J" s ?

Were they ever restored & rebodied ; or in fact ever saved from his Duesenberg parts stockpiled scrap pile ?

What were their "J" engine & body numbers ?

Are there any surviving old photos of Jim's Model "J" autos actually in hillclimb racing condition ?

Rolls~Royce Springfield Ghosts & Phantoms & Jim Hoe:

Many here may not know that Arthur James Hoe was also heavily involved in the repair of Springfield Rolls~Royce autos at this same time period.

Springfield owners would seek him out for expert engine & mechanical repairs; and original parts along with his friend , and fellow Springfield R~R expert Frank Cooke .

In Fact~~~
Jim probably actually repaired more Springfield R~R autos at this time period than model "J" Duesenbergs~~~

After all ~~~there were many more of these Springfield R~R cars on the east coast at this time period than Duesenberg model "J's !

In fact~~~That's why we first visited his "Sportscar Garage".
Dad had removed an early Springfield Phantom I "ironhead" cylinder head from one of his cars and had Jim install new pressed-in valve guides, felt stye valve stem seals ; and also do a "valve grind & finish valve lapping job" on this monster size 1927 iron OHV cylinder head.

Jim, as I remember him, was a very nice guy !
He gave me several Tootsie Roll Pops that he kept on hand in a large sealed jar for his customer's kids !
It seemed Jim loved them too !

I believe he also, at this time, taught at a local High School, or Night School, in his area ?

Does anyone else here remember ever meeting Jim Hoe ? ? ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Bob Roller
More
14 Jun 2013 18:35 #25419 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Jim Hoe's hill climbers
I THINK one of them was J183 and again I THINK it now powers a DCP
perhaps in Canada.If someone knows for sure,I won't get my shirt in a knot if you correct me. Jim told me I could buy one of them for $1600 many years ago but when you live in an area in Appalachia where possesion of a $100 bill was proof of felonious behavior,I had no way to buy it.The BEST I did back in that 1952 era was to scrape up $150 to buy a 1935 Packard Super Eight convt.with wire wheels and rumble seat and a NEW top.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds