Duesenbergs in Argentina

More
05 May 2011 14:40 #20013 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Here is a picture of the left side of the 292 engine compartment taken by Bob Roller in 1986.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Roller
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
05 May 2011 17:51 #20017 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: SJ292
A.J.
That engine stands out like a goose egg in a coal bucket. As I said,keep that picture because I have another one.

Bob

Bob Roller

• Robbie Marenzi
  • Robbie Marenzi's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
24 Jul 2011 03:54 #20557 by Robbie Marenzi
Robbie Marenzi replied the topic:
Two more pictures of J-292 / 2158. Not much is know about the car's racing history in Argentina. It did take part in the 1936 "Gran Premio Ciudad de Buenos Aires" driven by Raul Riganti, famous Argentine driver who took part in three Indy 500?s. In this race he had to abandon because of tyre failure and looking at the two spares in the photos, it?s not hard to imagine why.

The article that accompanies the pictures has many inaccuracies, like stating the car was a 1932 Fernandez & Darrin convertible coupe, when we know it was a 1929 Le Baron Sweep Panel. It also says it was called Ray Day because it had high performance Ray Day pistons, connecting rods and camshafts, could this be true, did any, or did all Duesenbergs have these pistons, rods and camshafts?

Robbie Marenzi
ACD Club Member
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Robbie Marenzi
ACD Club Member
Buenos Aires
Argentina

More
25 Jul 2011 12:00 #20561 by alsancle
Robbie,

Is there any indication of when these pictures were taken?

• Bob Roller
More
25 Jul 2011 12:17 #20562 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: SJ292/tires??
To my 75 year old eyes,the spares look like they have a cover,maybe canvas over them. I wouldn't think that anyone with the money it took to buy such a car would not be able to put new tires on it. As I recall the Lake Muroc episode with J299 and the SSK,Eddie Miller said that tires came apart at speeds around 110 MPH and that they finally found Vogue multi play tires that didn't come apart. The first "J" I ever saw had worn Vogue two sided WW tires and being idiots and young,we ran it hard and fast on those nearly bald "skins". 115MPH on a chassis is the way to travel if as I said,you are stupid and young. I the 50's, the 700x19 or 750x19 tires were not available from any sources we had at the tie so it was "skins" or smaller wheels.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
25 Jul 2011 16:17 #20563 by alsancle
Bob,

I agree - definitely covers on those spares.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds