Skip to main content

Drive 'em if you got 'em!

• Visitor
22 Sep 2010 18:43 #18062 by
Replied by on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
Sorry, my flying fingers let me down. I meant to say Hispano.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2010 17:20 #18061 by Steve Derus
Replied by Steve Derus on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
hmmm.....I stick by the Hispano guess based on the swan radiator caps.

www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/1 ... photo.aspx

Also, didn't the I-F's have a mesh grille guard with a large lightning bolt?

www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CDEQ9QEwBQ

• Visitor
22 Sep 2010 17:12 #18060 by
The matching Marchal headlights and the matching mascots tell me they're the same make and that make is Hispano.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2010 16:01 #18059 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Probably Hissos
Steve,
You are probably right and they look like they might pre-date a"J"by a couple of years.
I have seen 3 H-S cars. The first at a museum at the caves in Luray,Va. I recall it being a small car with RHD and no way to know about the engine.The second was a big phaeton,definetly a 12 at Hershey in 1989 and the third one was part of the Interstate Battery timed event sometime in the early 90's(maybe).It was a 1926 phaeton with RHD and a 6 cylinder engine and was being driven by the people that bought Hill&Vaughn restorations in California.
We seldom ever worked on pre war European cars back when we were really enjoying the Duesenbergs.I remember a V12 Lagonda that had a distibutor cap spring that had been made of some kind of low carbon steel that lost its "rate" or tension and I made a new one from a piece of thin "spring steel",probably a binder band off of a box. There was also a 1930 Rolls-Royce roadster that had American styling but we did nothing to it outside of oil changes.It belonged to a musician here that was the director of the Huntington Symphony Orchestra.
We sold and serviced MGTD's,Morris,Riley,Hillman and Jaguar XK120 and a Mark "somethingorother"sedan.
The Morris Minor had a battery as big as the engine and NONE of the TD's went 10,000 miles without a major failure.The few Riley's did well and the Jags,well after
all,WAS a Jaguar of that time frame and ran when they wanted to. The motor blocks of the TD's seemed to be soft and had more cylinder bore wear at 10,000 mles than an American car did at 50,000 or more. Don Thompson said they wouldn't make a good skillet and would melt while scrambling eggs.One genius installed a S.C.O.T blower on his TD and the crankshaft broke before he got home with it.
The worst of the MG's that I ever drove was a TC,with RHD and built up pedals. It belonged to "Johnny",the midget that promoted Phillip Morris cigarettes.I serviced it and then got stuck with having to deliver it to a local hotel where he was staying.
The most interesting man I met was driving a Jag sedan that had broken a shock absorber.We had one and while it was being installed by a mechanic,he said his English was Nicht Gut and I spoke enough German to find out that he was on the Bismarck as an engineer and was obviously one of the fortunate ones that got away from it
when it rolled and sank in 15,000+feet of ice water in the Atlantic.He had a scrap book with pictures of him and other crew members on the deck during Hitler's visit to see it after completion.Some adventure and story.
What English he knew came from being in a British POW camp until after Germany capitulated.
Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2010 22:44 #18053 by Steve Derus
Bob
Pretty sure they are both Hissos.

Steve

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2010 22:32 #18052 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Interesting cars
Janst,
Those are interesting cars but what are they? I am not real familiar with Euroclassics unless it is a pre war Mercedes.
Also I would like to know if there is any contemporary data on the performance of the Hispano-Suiza V12's.
Any infrmation would be much appreciated,
Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Visitor
21 Sep 2010 19:44 #18051 by

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2010 15:38 #18046 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Classics
Didn't the Automobile Quarterly have an article on I-F at one time? Are the any published performance figures on the J12 Hispano-Suiza and how do they compare to a "J"or an SJ"?I know that V12 has a big displacement advantage over the Duesenberg but it is doubtful if it will rev up beyond 5000 RPM like the "J" will IF it's running right.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
21 Sep 2010 14:53 #18045 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
The CCCA magazine that just came in yesterday has a nice article on Isottas.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2010 21:00 #18043 by Bob Roller
Too bad about the Auburn 6. Does that include all of them? Were you able to get a suitable oil filter for your "J".
Beans are ready,more later.

Bob

Bob Roller

More
20 Sep 2010 18:20 #18042 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
Bob, the CCCA will take issue with you on the Auburn 6.....

They only recognize the 8 and 12 cylinder Auburns.

No doubt that the Issota Fraschini deserves it's place on the list. I don't mean to disparage the car in my previous post. I just mean that for the $, I'd prefer 1 Duesy over 2 IF's. I can only drive 1 car at a time.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2010 16:54 #18041 by Bob Roller
I am deeply grieved that the 1974 AMC Gremlin doesn't rank with great cars like the Model "J" and the Marmon 16 even with the air conditioner. Perhaps, with the passage of time it may but who knows.
I think the term "Full Classics" will define the cars we know to be such in a clear manner. No one can deny,unless they are drunk,blind or stupid that the ACD line of cars are "Full Classics"from the least expensive Auburn 6 to the most spectacular Duesenberg. To me,they are all "drivers" to be enjoyed within all possible limits of safety and reliabilty.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2010 13:51 #18040 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!

RandyEma wrote: For those of you that feel that hot rodding a DUESENBERG is a good idea , I WILL WARN YOU THAT THE CYLINDER HEADS WILL NOT TAKE THE INCREASED HEAT AND WILL CRACK , AND I HAVE NOT SEEN A REPAIR HOLD UP YET. RANDY

I agree with Randy that one shouldn't abuse these cars be treating them like a dragster. I have a lot of personal experience with broken and nearly irreplaceable cylinder heads on another marque.

However, I still think they should be driven (yes at speed.) As they frequently become static sculpture in a museum they lose relevance to the younger generation. I'll be telling the story of my personal high-speed Duesenberg ride until my dying breath. That's what will keep the legend alive.

One day (God willing) I will have my Duesenberg, and yes it will get DRIVEN!

Greg Riley

• Visitor
20 Sep 2010 11:48 #18039 by
Pink Slip is a term originating out of, where else, California in the olden days, running for pinks.

In the olden days the registration certificate had to be carried in the car. It was printed on a multi-page form, with each page a different color. Blue copy to the state, yellow copy another office and the pink copy to the car owner.

pretty good explanation, huh?

• Murray Hall
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2010 03:28 #18038 by Murray Hall
Replied by Murray Hall on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
I agree that many cars are called "classics" when they are far from it. It has been one of my pet peeves for years. According to a list I have of "classics" (from the Classic Car Club of America) ,the Mark I Lincoln continentals from 1946-1947-1948 are "classics" and some post war Cadillacs may also qualify as "classic". I believe that the Classic Car Club of America has had to resort to calling their cars "full classics".
Murray

More
20 Sep 2010 00:19 #18036 by alsancle
Bob,

I'm not sure why those links won't open for you. They are basically arguments between CCCA guys (like me) and the outside world that wants to call their 74 Gremlin with AC a "classic". Somebody comes along every 6 month's and starts a new thread and a new fight about the same thing.

A.J.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2010 17:39 #18035 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Classic cars
I couldn't open the references you posted to me but I have an idea that they are defending the definition of the word "Classic" for the benefit of those who are not relics like some of us. The club historian for Duesenberg,Chris Summers is most unusual in his focus on a car that many have no idea about or if they do,they think it is a German built car from long ago. Most 20 year old young men have no idea about such things and Chris learnings the basics of a three speed manual transmission in a SJN is astounding.
Getting back to "Classics",I don't know of any post WW2 cars with the the POSSIBLE exception of the '46 and '47 Packard Clippers that could be considered as "Classic" as we think of them. Did Cadillac build the "60 Special" after WW2? If so,does it qualify under the strict definitions we use?
The history of the American automobile is a fascination to me and we have an 87 year old friend that is very much into it as well as military history from the past 75 years. America was an industrial colossus that could and did produce anything that was needed and probably many things that weren't. Adolf Hitler, whose "brilliant" idea of attacking Russia stalled out in the blizzards before Moscow, declared war on this colossus four days after 7 December 1941 and found out the hard way that our auto industry was more than adequate to make everything needed and then some for America and our Allies. We had a doctor here that said America did one damn fine job of bombing Berlin into rubble while she was in medical school there in 1944-45.The bombers had many components made by "Detroit" such as fuselage sections by Hudson and Ford's Willow Run plant that turned out one heavy,ready to fly and fight bomber every hour on the hour. Hitler was said to have gone into a crosseyed rage when told of that kind of production from a car maker.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
19 Sep 2010 15:13 #18034 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Re: A classic is a classic (maybe)

Bob Roller wrote: The word "classic" is the most abused word in the auto enthusiasts lexicon. A lot of cars that term is applied to are nothing but used cars and clunkers from very recent time frames. My last Packard was a 1951 200 series 4 door sedan that I pulled out of a garage over on Huntington's affluent South Side and after getting it operational,I drove it for 3 years and about 20.000 miles.
I was asked more than once."How does it feel to drive a classic" and my answer was that if it were a Packard that was 17 years older,it be a classic in every definition of the word but a '51 Packard 200 was something Packard should never have built with that once proud name across the hood. The 1951 Ford was a nicer car in all respects.

Bob Roller

I agree but it is a tough battle to fight. We are out numbered about 10,000 to 1. Here are some amusing threads on the subject:

forums.aaca.org/f123/all-cars-25 ... 67027.html

forums.aaca.org/f123/few-short-w ... 72486.html

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2010 01:43 #18033 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
I deserve that comment George. See you at Hershey. If any of you are going to Hershey stop by GBG 21-23 and say Hi.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Sep 2010 01:20 #18032 by E L
Replied by E L on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
Mike, you make mention of a pink slip. Since some members don't know what it is, may I suggest you fashion it at the next reunion. I am sure you have a purse and shoes to match. How about at the ladies tea 2011!

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2010 20:40 #18031 by Steve Derus
And don't forget the Ford Exploder.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2010 20:33 #18030 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Classics and clunkers
Didn't Ford hang a trim kit on the Granada and call it some kind of a Lincoln in years past?? The word Granada,is that any relation to a grenade like we used in the Army? I haven't seen a Granada or a Pinto for years.
Chris Summers refers to the Pinto as a 4 passenger barbecue grill and I think it is another succesful attempt to make a complete car for $20 in parts and labor sort of like the Studebaker Lark of 1960.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2010 20:24 #18029 by Steve Derus
Certainly agree there Bob. I love all old cars but I do get frustrated with the folks who think their '75 Granada sedan is a "classic" worth $10k.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2010 20:19 #18028 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic A classic is a classic (maybe)
The word "classic" is the most abused word in the auto enthusiasts lexicon. A lot of cars that term is applied to are nothing but used cars and clunkers from very recent time frames. My last Packard was a 1951 200 series 4 door sedan that I pulled out of a garage over on Huntington's affluent South Side and after getting it operational,I drove it for 3 years and about 20.000 miles.
I was asked more than once."How does it feel to drive a classic" and my answer was that if it were a Packard that was 17 years older,it be a classic in every definition of the word but a '51 Packard 200 was something Packard should never have built with that once proud name across the hood. The 1951 Ford was a nicer car in all respects.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
18 Sep 2010 16:35 #18025 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
Hi,

A magnficent classic is a magnficent classic is a magnificent classic, and by any other name it is just as grand. You can put ANY of these cars in MY garage!

Given my druthers though, I choose a Duesey! :)

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

More
17 Sep 2010 19:40 #18023 by alsancle
Fear not guys, the 3 Isottas where flanked by 3 or 4 Duesenbergs last time I checked. I agree that the power output was small relative to the size of the engine, but the basic design came from WWI so it was a very old engine. I love Duesenbergs, but visually the Isotta is almost as impressive.

I was going to mention the J12 Hisso (maybe I already did) but have only seen one in person and have never had the chance to ride in one.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2010 19:03 #18017 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Duesenberg and Auburn 12
That makes sense to me. I have never seen an Isotta-Fraschini (unless it was in Hershey in '89)I did see a 12 cylinder Hispano-Suiza there that was an impressive vehicle. The Isotta's feeble power output from 8 liters makes me wonder if it ran on maple syrup instead of gasoline.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2010 18:46 #18016 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
I'm with you Joel!

Mike
8-100A

More
16 Sep 2010 18:33 #18014 by Joel
So why have 3 Isota Fraschinis if for the same$ $ you could have a Duesy
and an I.F? I'd go for a Dusy and a V12 Auburn!
:D

Joel Nystrom
[img

More
16 Sep 2010 16:56 #18013 by alsancle
I just happened to stumble across a road test of a 29 Issota Fraschini 8A. Horsepower was 135 to 150 for the two versions of the 8 liter straight 8. Top speed was advertised as 104 mph. Motor Sport tested one and measured 0-80 in 25.7 seconds. I have a friend that owns 3 and really likes them. You get Duesenberg looks (but not performance) at about 1/2 the price.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2010 14:55 #18010 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Acceleration figures on Duesenberg
The factory advertised 0-100 in 17 seconds with the early SJ.The car shown in the ad was J298 if I remember correctly. It may have been geared for a top speed of 102 but the claim was made for 0-100 in 17 seconds.
Also claimed was 104 in second gear which definetly indicated a "long legged"rear axle ratio of maybe 3:1 or maybe they stood on the accelerator in first gear until the engine screamed and then hit second until it screamed again at 100+.
One ad that I liked was from "Vanity Fair" (maybe)in August of 1932 that showed a picture of the new supercharged engine and said."It isn't often you might want to go 104 MPH in second gear,but it's good to know that you can if you have to". In 1932,THAT was one stunning ad.
These figures have long ago been surpassed but in the day when the Model J or SJ was a new car,nothing that could be considered as a "family car" could come near one if the driver was serious about getting away from pursuit. My mother's youngest brother,Chandler Taylor was quite the hot shot with a powerful motorcycle in the 1930's and actually performed in some films as a stunt double and he found out about chasing a Duesenberg when we lived near Palatine,Illinois. He saw me driving a "J",I think it was J528 and asked me if that was a Duesenberg and I said "Yes,it was". He then told me about coming out of Chicago on Route 12,Rand Road on the way to visit us.I was about 3 years old then when this little misfortune over took "Uncle Chan". He was passed by a Duesenberg
and said he was doing about 70 when the car came around him.He decided to get a better look and sprinted up beside the big car and the driver then punched the Duesenberg hard and the race was on with the car pulling away quickly. Uncle Chan said he was behind the car at 108MPH and was being pulled away from when he lost control of the motor cycle and stacked it and him into a plowed field which fortunately was level with the pavement.He survived and had the scars to prove along with a crooked nose that the big bike was no match for the Model J on the open road. Chan may have been "Recreatioanally Inebriated" when he had this episode because my mother said that he would "stay drunk so he wouldn"t have to GET drunk". I don't know but he died at age 66 of a heart attack in 1978 and I think of him frequently.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2010 22:09 #17989 by mikespeed35
Hi Bob, Racing for pink slips is the winner of the race gets the tile of the car that lost and in some states the title was pink, thus raceing for pink slips.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2010 11:58 #17985 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Pink slip?
Mike,
When I think of a "pink slip" I think of someone being fired from a job. What were you referring to?
Chris Summers knows my association with ACD cars goes back to my days as a pre-schooler and I will share this with the rest of you now.
We had a neighbor that owned a Duesenberg,a convertible sedan with a divider.I remembered it as a big,black car with all sorts of dials on the dash and my father saying it would really run on the open road.I know we made several trips to Wisconsin in that car from our home West of Chicago (Palatine)on Rand Road. For years,I had no idea what the car was until Don Thompson brought me home in a semi assembled dual cowl phaeton,J487 and then it brought back her memories of Palatine and the Duesenberg. She probably would have preferred to let those memories lay dormant as will be seen.
In 1935,my father bought new Hudson and I have a picture of my mother and me, at the age of five months, laying on a blanket behind it.
The following winter,1936-37 during an effort to start the Hudson,it blew a spark plug out of the head. He repaired that and took the car into Chicago and came back with a Cord convertible that he kept until 1941.After that,he wasn't around very much due to "the other woman".
I didn't see him again until 1953 when I drove J528 home to get a bite to eat and a fast bath prior to trip to Clarksburg to pick up J396 to do some minor repairs on.
He recognized the car because he has seen it in Wisconsin in the late 1940's. He stopped off here in Huntington enroute to a job in the Eastern part of the state and was sitting on the front porch when I pulled in behind a Pontiac with Wisconsin plates parked in front of our house. He asked me if the car was mine and I told him I worked in a shop where we sold and serviced English cars (MG,Morris,Riley and Jaguar)or anything that was out of production or out of business altogether like Pierce and others.
The info on the Hudson morphing into a CORD was given to me by my mother who passed away in 1998 at age 91.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2010 04:01 #17984 by mikespeed35
Of course theirs always the SC Cord and the L-29. I now own the pink slip from one of those SC Cords.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2010 12:05 #17977 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic 60 Special
Probably the best looking Cadillac,ever IMHO.The one problem I always encountered with the flathead Cadillacs was the timing chain having to be replaced at fairly low mileages. Possibly insufficient oil plus the fact that a lot of oils back then were mostly not up to the task. Alaso,after some mileage,the transission had a tendency to slip out of high gear on down hill deceleration.I never delved into it but have been told that it was an insuffcient synchronizer.

Bob

Bob Roller

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2010 03:12 #17976 by Steve Derus
I'd submit that the early 40's Cadillac flathead V8's were a potent engine. I've had three or four 60 Specials, and every one of them was a fast and reliable car, especially with the three speed stick shift.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2010 22:51 #17975 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Ein "Schnell Mercedes mit Kompressor"
There was a 500K here in Huntington back in the early 60's that supposedly belonged to some low life in the Third Reich.The guy that owned it here turned out to be as bad as the the Nazi because he got busted for sending Kiddy porn thru the mail. A real upstanding,revolving SOB and I hope he died in prison.
I wonder if J299 that was used in the race with the Marx Mercedes was equipped with an updraft carburetor or a downdraft. A more interesting race would have been Gary Cooper's SSJ against the SSK. That way the defeat for the SSK would have been even more of an embarrassment.
I have never thought much of any flathead engine regardless of what kind of a glamour queen it was mounted in. I just don't like any of them,period.I have owned several including five Packards,a Chrysler New Yorker and a Plymouth.Zero to road speed timed with an hour glass or in the case of the Chrysler Fluid Drive,with a calender.
One of the worst was the Lincoln Zephyr with a "mighty" 264 CID V12 which was a stretched version of the Ford V8-60. Talk about clunkers,that was the King of them all.
In my opinion,the very best of the inline engines that were used in affordable,good quality cars was the OHV straight eight Nash with nine main bearings and sixteen spark plugs and an overdrive transmission.A friend had one and I considered it a superior car in all respects to my 1937 Cadillac Series 85 V12 sedan that I owned at the time (1957).
Gotta run,my stomach just filed a "non supprt suit against my throat".

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
12 Sep 2010 20:52 #17974 by alsancle
Bob,

I won't disagree with you regarding a 500k/540k & a Duesenberg in a race. I would take the Duesenberg too. I was just posting some comparables from a car that was also considered very fast for the time. Maybe more apt would be a SS & a Duesenberg but that seemed to get settled at Muroc. Although in that case, it was a long loop run as opposed to a drag and it was an S against a J. Maybe a SS against a SJ would be interesting. I do believe that the S got out to a decent lead at the beginning before faltering. You are correct that the MB blower design prevents you from using it too much or you will blow up the engine.

Btw, I think the SC Cord & the Auburn Speedsters are very speedy for their time. The 4 gears on the Cord and the two speed on the Auburn make up for some of the Duesenberg's great might. I would still take the Duesenberg in a drag.

A.J.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2010 20:28 #17968 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
The Mercedes 500 and 540K's were only 5 litre and 5.4 litres respectively and the cars were fairly heavy so I doubt if they could do much against the Duesenberg even by using the blower. There was some speculation years ago about the Marmon 16 and the Duesenberg and someone answered that question by stating that he owned both a Marmon 16 and a Duesenberg and the Duesenberg was the hands down winner in tests between the two. As I remeber the story,the argument was based on the idea that a Marmon 16 had a 40 to 60MPH advantage and a test proved the Marmon not to be up to the job..
Getting back to the Mercedes "Mit Kompressor",there was a caution about over using the blower because damage to the engine could occur.
As I said earlier,in the 1950's we did not hesitate to push a Duesenberg to the limit in low and that initial sprint and a fast shift into second went a long way toward the 0-100 time. These cars were not sluggish like the big flathead eights of Packard and Pierce which were about 385 CID or the small displacement OHV Buicks of later years.
I have also wondered how a car with a flathead engine and less than 300 CID could be classified as a "Speedster" like the later Auburn was. The 12 had to be a better performer.It had to be based on appearence,not performance.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
11 Sep 2010 19:57 #17967 by alsancle
More comparison. The Mercedes 500k/540k was good for 0-60 in 16 seconds. That was using the blower. Top speed was around 104/106. That puts the Duesenberg's 0-100 in 21 seconds as amazingly fast. However, I understand that the Marmon 16 was supposed to be faster to 100 then the Duesenberg. I do not know what the Marmon's top end was.

It would be interesting to know what a well turned Super Bearcat would do. I know top seed was supposed to be 110.

• fyreline
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2010 16:24 #17965 by fyreline
Replied by fyreline on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
Just for comparison, according to contemporary magazines back in 1955 a stock Chevy 265 V-8 (non-powerpack) with a 3-speed straight stick and 4:11 gears would run about a 19.0 time and 75 mph trap speed. This was considered a pretty hot car in 1955.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2010 13:13 #17963 by Bob Roller
Let's see.If the "J" turned the quarter mile in 17 seconds at 88mph then the old published figures of 0 to 100 mph in 21 seconds just might be close to accurate.This is assuming well tuned engine and a light roadster or phaeton body plus a final drive ratio that would allow a top speed of about 110.
The ones who participated in the "drag race" with such valuable relics deserve a hearty "Thank You!" from all of us and I wish I could have been there but we had contracted to have a lot of work done on our 107 year old house and had to readjust our travel plans to accomodate this work. We had our motel reserved and then the contractor called. Hopefully,next year.
One thing I would hope for is that Duesenberg owners whose cars have not been seen for years or maybe never seen at a major event like Auburn would show up with some of the "obscure"cars.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2010 12:31 #17960 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
Please keep working on that book of stories, Bill.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Visitor
10 Sep 2010 12:28 #17959 by
We usedto take Duesenbergs to a town called Katy, just west of Houston, and see how fast we could come back to town. It was fun.

Used to do the same thing with a Ferrari F40. You could come back to town a lot faster. About seven Sunday morning you had the road pretty much to yourself.

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2010 00:14 #17956 by Bob Roller
Harry Schulzinger ran J528 for years without a cracked head. I heard a subsequent owner had a rod bearing failure but I am not sure if it was the man Harry sold the car to or one of the other owners. Possibly the reason for no head problems was the use of overdrive on the highway. I don't think any owner today of such a car would push it as hard as we did in the 1950's when a good one was worth maybe $2000 dollars.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2010 00:05 #17955 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
For those of you that feel that hot rodding a DUESENBERG.is a good idea , I WILL WARN YOU THAT THE CYLINDER HEADS WILL NOT TAKE THE INCREASED HEAT AND WILL CRACK , AND I HAVE NOT SEEN A REPAIR HOLD UP YET. RANDY

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2010 13:53 #17950 by Bob Roller
I think if a Duesenberg is going to be used to any extent,it should be given a "Bill Bocock" engine remake with higher compression pistons and "I"beam rods and insert bearings.Another item would be a 3 to 1 ring and pinion which with the 19" wheels would be close to an overdrive.
As far as acceleration is concerned,back when I was involved with these cars,they were just an unusual used car and as mentioned earlier,standing on the accelerator in low gear as not an uncommon thing.After the engine warm up on J528,wheel spin was easily obtained on hot asphalt which our town has an abundance of. Melvin Clemans would run the tachometer off the scale on J396 and no ill effects were noticed and that engine was worn badly.
Today,my biggest concern would be Tweedle Dee the Wonder Dummy running a light or stop sign and creating a horror story like happened to J175 with five people dead. Does anyone have any info on the outcome of that tragedy as far as legal actions and insurance is concerned?

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• russv
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2010 12:02 #17946 by russv
Replied by russv on topic Drive 'em if you got 'em!
I stand corrected on the itme. i was told the 14 sec value.
Russ

More
09 Sep 2010 03:44 #17945 by Joel
I was watching the timer when the Erics maroon Murphy CC went 17.xx.

I think it would be fairly easy to build a 14 second Duesy if you wanted to. Port the head, bump the compression, build a bulletproof bottom end, put a hot grind on the cams, swap in a quick shifting modern 5 speed, etc. But that's not really how we treat our Duesey's today. :D

Joel Nystrom
[img

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2010 02:51 #17939 by mikespeed35
I agree with every thing you said Bob. I did not mean to take any thing away from the Duesenberg. 1929 and 1965 do not compare. I was only making the point that 14.2 in the 1/4 mile was not a time I can believe.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman