Skip to main content

New Dusenberg?

More
22 Feb 2008 17:20 #9557 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic New Dusenberg?
Looks like they are just trying to buy some marketing magic from the "Duesenberg" brand name. The Pray Cords and Auburns stand on their own as cool for their era and time - in my opinion. I never paid them any attention until I read Josh's book and now find them quite neat - especially the 8/10 cars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
22 Feb 2008 00:01 #9549 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic New Dusenberg?
Many attempts have been made to create modern versions of our classics. Most never get beyond sketches. The most successful have produced a prototype, then vanished forever.

The reason that Glenn Pray's Cords and Auburns are collectible is that they look like the originals! That's what buyers want. Cars whose only resemblance to Auburns, Cords or Duesenbergs is the nameplate on the grille have proven to be non-starters (pardon the pun.)

So what evokes Duesenberg on this "Torpedo"? Even the silly grille doesn't.

Just my opinion.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2008 23:30 #9548 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Rebirth?
You have to have very deep pockets to pull off something like this.

Has anyone pulled it off?

I know E.L. Cord was approached with the idea of the rebirth of Cord using an Oldsmobile Corvette concept car as a possible starting point.

He didn't want any part of it ...

• BBShriver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Feb 2008 16:40 #9546 by BBShriver
New Dusenberg? was created by BBShriver
Recently I was thinking about how it's really sad that no American company is really at the top of the heap automotively, and wouldn't it be grand if Duesenberg came back, or alternatively just something LIKE a Duesenberg (I have mixed feelings about "resurrection" companies). A true American competitor to the Maybachs Rolls, and Bentley's of the world.

Then I came across this
www.duesenbergcustomcoach.com/torpedocoupe.html

Not quite sure what to think of it.. not quite what I had in mind.
Plus I was a little sad to see someone stole my idea (not that the idea hasn't been around for years).

BTW, I'm new here, so some quick background just about me... I'm 22, a college student at Kettering University studying of all things Automotive design/mechanical engineering. I'm an absolute car nut, and LOVE the classics from pretty much any continent. I think it's sad that America doesn't have any truly relevant cars anymore, in that kind of market.