Skip to main content

The 1980's Duzy

More
01 Feb 2008 19:13 #9380 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic The 1980's Duzy
While I like the 66, the 80s version looks like a pimped up Lincoln Town Car. Btw, I had a nice conversation with Mr Bortz a few years back right after we discovered my Stutz. I think that anytime a unique or one off car finds it's way to the market he is on top of it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2008 18:31 #9379 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic The 1980's Duzy
The book, in case anyone is interested, is "Elite Cars," published by Consumer Guide. I love my copy, too. :D

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• fyreline
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2008 17:03 #9377 by fyreline
Replied by fyreline on topic The 1980's Duzy
I've always been a fan of the 1966 Duesenberg - and I too have mixed feelings about it leaving the museum. However, I know that Joe Bortz is the right guy to have it, as the premier collector of factory prototypes and dream cars he will appreciate it for what it is. I'm not sure the museum ever really did, as it wasn't a "real" Duesenberg to them. As for the 1980 Duesenberg revival, I read the same AQ story about it sitting forlorn in a Chicago lot. Wonder if Mr. Bortz would have any interest in it, if it can still be located? Any of our Chicago members have a line on it? I've aways felt that these one-off prototypes should be saved if possible - but that's easy for me to say, I don't have to store and preserve them. The 1980 Duesenberg was all-too-clearly a reskinned Cadillac Fleetwood, and not really all that distinctive. Here's a really lousy scan of it for those unfamiliar with it.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2008 20:04 #9365 by Chris Summers
I like it too--in fact, I sort of wish it had stayed in the ACD Museum. I only saw it there once, in the upstairs gallery, and it looked terrific, although it was pretty obvious that it hadn't seen a road in a long, long time.

The car was still not running when Bortz came to Auburn to collect it. I remember reading somewhere that getting it out of the museum was a nightmare because it barely fit into the cargo elevator (same problem they have with the original Duesies).

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

More
31 Jan 2008 19:47 #9364 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic The 1980's Duzy

Chris Summers wrote: The Automobile Quarterly Duesenberg issue a few years back said that the 1979 prototype was last seen as a derelict in a Chicago parking lot. Sad--ugly thing but if the 1966 deserved saving, it did, too.

I kind of like the 66. It has a bit of style.

• West Peterson
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2008 17:39 #9361 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic The 1980's Duzy
Chicagoan Joe Bortz has the 1966 Duesenberg.
www.chromjuwelen.com/component/o ... temid,121/

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2008 18:26 #9348 by Chris Summers
The Automobile Quarterly Duesenberg issue a few years back said that the 1979 prototype was last seen as a derelict in a Chicago parking lot. Sad--ugly thing but if the 1966 deserved saving, it did, too.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• 1930 Jordan
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2008 09:23 #9338 by 1930 Jordan
The 1980's Duzy was created by 1930 Jordan
I have a book with the 1980's Duesenberg in it. The one made with the Cadillac components. Only the prototype was made. Is this one still with us?? Manufacture/importer: Duesenberg Brothers 888 Tower Road, Mundelein,IL 60060. I worked about 10 miles from this place about 6 years ago. Talk about a small world!! What is also funny, is I had this book when I was about 9 years old and lost it, but I just found one at a used book store. I just had to have it. It only took me 28 years to find it.

1930 Jordan"G" line 90,1953 Plymouth,1951 Chrysler Saratoga,1975 Dart,1974 Schwinn Collgate,1978 Schwinn Continental,1971 Honda 500"4",1973 Honda 350"twin",1975 Honda 500"twin",1955 Norton,1988 Honda Shadow custom,05 crossfire roadster.