Skip to main content

Wrigly Family Duesenberg question...amongst others.

• West Peterson
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2007 15:10 #8119 by West Peterson
Replied by West Peterson on topic Wrigly Family Duesenberg question...amongst others.
I believe that the "American Phantom" that was mentioned is probably "American Bantam"

The Wrigley's also owned a 1942 Lincoln Continental coupe. The car is currently owned by my mother and is restored.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2007 23:41 #8064 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Wrigly Family Duesenberg question...amongst others.
According to the Cadillac Database Philip K. Wrigley had a 1957 Eldorado Brougham #83 (of 704 total), which is still in existence and was, indeed, in storage for a long while.

Wrigley Duesies:
> J-121 (Murphy Convertible Coupe--Philip K. Wrigley)
> J-217
> J-390 (Murphy Convertible Berline--Philip K. and Alva Wrigley)
> J-464 (former Rollston Convertible Victoria, now Walker-Bohman & Schwartz Convertible Sedan--Philip K. Wrigley)
> J-501 (Rollston Beverly Berline--Mrs. Philip K. [Alva] Wrigley)
> J-505 (Derham Convertible Sedan--owned by James Offield, Wrigley cousin)

Plus a Packard or two, the Cadillac, and a Stout Scarab that I know of.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• clydester
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2007 21:05 #8063 by clydester
Just an anecdote regarding the Wrigleys....I recently saw an ad for the old mansion in downtown Chicago. I don't think anyone lived in it for years. Back in the 70's, my dad said there was supposed to be a Cadillac four door Biaritz...with stainless steel roof in the garage...also unused for years.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2007 23:52 #8057 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Wrigly Family Duesenberg question...amongst others.
I may be wrong, but I doubt it's the Corsair...I've read a lot on that car, and the only time it was ever rebuilt was at Harrah's in the 1960s, re-doing all the modifications Herb Shriner made to it.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Steve Derus
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2007 23:39 #8056 by Steve Derus
Replied by Steve Derus on topic American Phantom
I wonder if you might possibly be referring to the car known as "The Phantom Corsair"? If so there is a wealth of information on the car, I believe it was shown at Pebble Beach this year.

Steve Derus

More
11 Sep 2007 14:28 #8017 by alsancle
One of the Stutz Rollston Hollywood Sport Sedans was for sale a few years back after the long time owner died. It was sold by RM in Arizona about 3 years ago. A very cool car. I believe there was one made for the World's fair as well as one for the LA auto show and one for the NY show. I believe the car is in Indy right now.

www.thestutz.com/Cars/hollywood.jpg

• Rev_Twitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
10 Sep 2007 18:13 #7999 by Rev_Twitch
Thank you. I'll pass this info onto my father.

Much appreciated.

Christopher.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2007 04:00 #7965 by Chris Summers
Just your luck...there's a whole topic already waiting for you:

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudway...viewtopic.php?t=1895

Durward E. Fagan bought it from Willis McKiness of DeKalb, IL, in December 1961 for $11,500. It was sold to Bill Lassiter of FL in 1982. The car has since been rerestored in bright red and is part of the LeMay Museum collection in Washington, which means you can probably arrange a visit to it (or, wait a few years and see it in the new museum).

Supposedly it was originally painted Doublemint Green.

P.S. I don't know anything about the five-window or the Rolls, and I haven't heard of a Stutz built for the World's Fair. They had a trio of show cars that year--one a berline called the Hollywood Sport, then a black convertible called the Tuxedo Cabriolet, and another I can't recall. Pierce-Arrow had a streamlined beauty called the Silver Arrow, of which I think three still exist--one owned by Thomas Derro in MA, one for sale from the Blackhawk Collection, and one that has always been sorta secretive. Derro's car came from the Long Island Automotive Museum, where it was for decades, and the Blackhawk car has not been rebuilt in any way. There's all I can offer.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• Rev_Twitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
07 Sep 2007 21:29 #7956 by Rev_Twitch
My father and I are trying to discover the fate of a number of automobiles, at least one being a Duesenberg model J that was/is owned by the Wrigly (chewing gum) family, that my grandfather, Jesse Lee Wallace, had restored for the Fagan Antique & Classic Automobile Museum that was located in Markham, IL.

Among the cars that my father can remember are also:

- Stutz or Pierce Arrow: Built specifically for the Chicago World's Fair 1933-34...supposedly was a basketcase before my grandfather restored it using artist drawings and notes as no photos were extant at the time.

- 1932 five window coup

- American Phantom

Any information on any of the automobiles, the Fagan museum, my grandfather or how I might further the success of the search would be greatly appreciated. My grandfather died when my father was 15, so I did not get the chance to meet him. We would like to be able to visit any of the automobiles that might be displayed or exhibited so that I can experience my grandfather's work that I've heard about from my father's childhood stories.

I can be contacted at:

Thank you for your attention.
Christopher Wallace.