Duesenberg Clear Vision

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
03 Jul 2007 03:20 #7379 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic:

Josh Malks wrote: Should be easy to check out.

Sounds like a fun science experiment. May have to try it and post a video. I haven't found anything wrong with snopes in all the times I have used it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bill powell
  • bill powell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2007 00:08 #7393 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic:
As I stated earlier, usually when a valve is stuck in a guide and heat will free, it tends to pop free and snap shut. Whatever had these guides glued would soften up from the heat. and let the valve slowly close.

I agree with whoever said sugar will not mix directly with gasoline, and lleast not right away. HOWEVER, if you mix the brown sugar with a little water, and mix that solution in some alchohol, like gas tank treatment, it mixes real good. I burned some of that solution in a pan and it burned down to a black plastic like coating on the pan, just like the black stuff that coated the inside of the head and manifold.

I have seen snopes wrong. They're not as bad as those Myth Busters yo-yos, but their findings are still their opinion. Like all things, no matter how unlikely, it has probably happened to someone.

Yes, Mikespeed35, you're right, but I covered that earlier. I have considered most of what people have suggested, but after getting the valves out, brushing out the valve guide holes and cleaning the valve stems, the valves are free as a breeze. If the guides were too tight, the valves would still be tight.

Someone had put in new intake valves fairly recently. Problem is they put them on the exhaust side, and the exhaust on the intake side. I'm lapping the valves in now, and they are all sealing beautifully.

One thing to remember. I don't, as a rule, use the WAG method when doing this kind of work. I post this wild sounding theory because I hd exhausted most other explanations.

• balinwire
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
04 Jul 2007 01:56 #7396 by balinwire
balinwire replied the topic: sticky guide
If the guides slipped after cleaning one could suspect sabotage. Could I lighten up things? When we were kids we would misspell words and remember them with clues.
To spell

[size=150:1q4nr8px] "geography":[/size:1q4nr8px]

George
Evans'
Old
Grandfather
Ran
A
Pig
Home
Yesterday

[size=150:1q4nr8px] "arithmetic":[/size:1q4nr8px]

A
Rat
In
The
House
Might
Eat
The
Ice
Cream

[size=150:1q4nr8px]"Duesenberg":[/size:1q4nr8px]

Don't
Utilize
Energy
Sugar
Engines
Naturally
Beautiful
Eventually
Run
Great

Kinda spooky like the Omega Code :)

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
04 Jul 2007 09:31 #7397 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic: Re: sticky guide

balinwire wrote: "Duesenberg":

Don't
Utilize
Energy
Sugar
Engines
Naturally
Beautiful
Eventually
Run
Great

Kinda spooky like the Omega Code :)

*sigh* Never a dull moment in this Club... :D

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• bill powell
  • bill powell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Jul 2007 13:12 #7398 by bill powell
bill powell replied the topic:
Guys, it was not my intention to create a stir so soon after being welcomed aboard, but I found this site while searching for an answer to a problem engine. Thanks for all the input.

By the time my gaskets arrive all the valves will be lapped, and it will ready to go back together. I will keep you posted as to the progress.

More
04 Jul 2007 14:13 #7399 by acdclubadmin
acdclubadmin replied the topic: Sugar Daddy,
All of the "Usual Suspects" on this website are pretty passionate about ACD cars. We're all dying to know how this turns out.

Keep us posted. Submit photos of the process. There's instructions how to do this in the Picture Gallery.

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds