Duesenberg Fantasy Bidding #2: The Joe E. Brown Tourster

• Chris Summers
  • Chris Summers's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
02 May 2007 15:38 #6967 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Oh, I agree with you on "the provenance isn't everything," West.

Chris Summers wrote: ....a reputation is not the same as reality. :D

I was never able to visit Harrah's, but looking over the auction catalogs I'm astounded at what was wrong with a lot of cars that looked pretty. Even the 1934 Packard boattail speedster that General Lyons bought (for the first time) in 1985 for $780,000 was dented!

On the other hand, I think that your two Toursters would be worth about the same amount. There would be a serious Duesenberg collector who would pay the same amount for the original car without stories and another who would pay it for the mostly-rebodied car with a fascinating history. Myself, I fall between the two...I love history and it means a lot in my eyes.

Just a theory. :DAs for the Ponder cars, "red heat" rules sometimes.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2007 16:53 #6968 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
The value of a Duesenberg can be calculated with reasonable accuracy based on: Body Type, originality, Supercharged originally, in that order.

Originality means, did that engine,chassis,body come from the factory together (or were they modified by the factory in period)? A chassis/engine combo that originally carried a wild (read: cool) body and now carries an exact duplicate of the original body will bring big money. It would bring more money with the original body but the important factor is that 2/3 original pieces are in place and the 3rd piece is identical to what was there originally.

Things like ownership history can add some value (I like to now as much abot the history of my cars as possible) but is not the overwhelming factor if there is consensus on the cars "originality".

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
29 May 2007 23:36 #7108 by Chris Summers
Less than two weeks till the auction--place your fantasy bids while you still can! (Why, yes, I DO have nothing better to do than orchestrate things like this--but what's the harm in a little fun?)

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
10 Jun 2007 16:19 #7180 by Chris Summers
J-444 sold for $1,485,000.

A.J. San Clemente wins the hearty digital handshake with a bid of $1.5 million. Congrats!

(The only car that came close to it in the McMullen auction was the Murphy-bodied Cadillac , which sold for just over a million.)

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA

More
11 Jun 2007 15:07 #7185 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Chris, I'll forward you my address so you can send me my winnings! In a relatively stable market environment like the one we are in now you can usually take some pretty accurate guesses - especially on Duesenbergs.

If we had played this game with some of the cars at the Ponder Auction I would have completely screwed up. I've never seen replicas and rebodied cars go for so much money.

• West Peterson
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
19 Jun 2007 19:28 #7257 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
Final bid was $1.35 mil. Plus commision the total was $1.485 mil.
If both Al and I were guessing high bid, then I win with my $1.3 mil bid. If we were guessing bid plus commission, Al wins with his $1.5 mil bid.
Since it was not made clear, I suggest that Al and I split the winnings. :)

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds