Duesenberg Fantasy Bidding #2: The Joe E. Brown Tourster

• Chris Summers
  • Chris Summers's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
20 Apr 2007 16:33 #6892 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers created the topic: Duesenberg Fantasy Bidding #2: The Joe E. Brown Tourster
Since we all seemed to have fun with the Bauer car fantasy bidding, I decided to try it again:

Derham Tourster J-444, originally owned by movie star and comedian Joe E. Brown, was one of eight originally built and features special trim such as a polished wood floor and a polished bright "speed line" at the top of the body. Howard Hughes later removed the rear half of the body and used it to tow gliders aloft. The car was later restored by Otis Chandler and will be sold June 9th by RM Auctions from the John McMullen Collection.

So, considering the car's history, riches-to-rags-to-riches story, and current fine condition, what do you think it will sell for? Take your best guess; the closest guess to the actual sale price receives a hearty digital handshake.

I'll begin with my bid: $2.5 million.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2007 01:02 #6897 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Toursters don't bring that much. I would say closer to 1.5.

More
22 Apr 2007 13:26 #6898 by fyreline
fyreline replied the topic:
I unfortunately agree - I think 2.5 million is a stretch. Not that it wouldn't be worth it, and if I had that kind of money I wouldn't hesitate to spend it on this car. You'll get the "experts" who will make comments like , "Oh, the market's a bit soft right now" - or exactly the opposite - but the truth is that Duesenbergs have a market niche all to themselves, and always have. Of course they are affected somewhat by the overall state of the economy, but people buy Duesenbergs for different reasons than they buy other cars, even other full classics. I would guess this car won't crack the 2 million dollar barrier - say, $1,725,000. That's my guess.

But I'd love to be wrong. :D

• Chris Summers
  • Chris Summers's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
22 Apr 2007 15:08 #6899 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
I'm always too optimistic on this sort of thing :-)

I'd prefer to have somebody else win, anyway. If the guy who created the thread won it wouldn't be much fun, would it?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
23 Apr 2007 02:05 #6900 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic:
For the sake of the contest, I'll say 1.9

Mike
8-100A

More
23 Apr 2007 15:37 #6902 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
The "Elvis Presley" car that Don Willams sold at Hershey last year was similar to a tourster but minus the roll up divider window. It also had an older restoration and was one of the only Duesenbergs equipped with 20 inch wheels which made it look a little funky. This car sold for well under a million. Up until a few years ago it took a very special car to break the 1 million dollar mark, but in the last couple of years there have been some real nice ones that have gone for big money.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds