Duesenberg powered '34 Ford

• Greg Riley
  • Greg Riley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
24 Feb 2007 22:25 #6452 by Greg Riley
Greg Riley replied the topic: Slightly off topic...
The way I heard about this car was through Jack Bowser. He is working on a street rod based on a 16 cylinder Marmon engine. I contacted him to see if I could do an ariticle and Jack said he was freinds with the guys when they built the Duesenberg powered car and this was the inspiration for his Forman.

His car is based on original Marmon V-16 engine components updated to included electronic fuel injection and modern electronics.

His web site is: http://www.jackbowser.com/

I know most guys on this forum aren't big street rod fans. However, this car is so unusual that I think anyone can appreciate it.

With Duesenberg prices as they are and as easy as it is to reverse engineer things today I'm surprised that someone hasn't hit upon the idea of making new Model J engine components. I suppose it is only a matter of time!

Does anyone have video of the Duesenberg powered rods?

You can also see a video of Jack's car on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cz55QYSTg0

What a sound!

Greg Riley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2007 03:47 #6453 by Joel
Joel replied the topic:
That Marmon is certainly interesting. It looks like the center 6 cylinders on each side share an exhaust port with their neighbor, but the end cylinders get their own port. It sure makes for a neet sound. I love the sound of it in the video, for sure not a stock cam!

Greg, many parts for the J engine are being reproduced check out http://www.classicandexotic.com

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

More
27 Feb 2007 18:48 #6462 by Joel
Joel replied the topic:
I found some more on the Geronimo Hot Rod.

Some info that I found online, not my words:

Those are 4 Stromberg "48" s, the next size larger than a "97" Don't quote me on this. I think the "48" has 1 1/32 venturie vs a "97" 31/32. This log manifold was fabricated by Hal ( passed away in 2003) & Bill Ulrich of Evanston, ILL. This one of 7 or 8 manifolds the Ulrich bros. made for the hot rod that they built in the late 1940's... This paticular one, I do believe it was built for a subsequent owner, Cameron Peck, one of the greatest car collectors in the post war era... He, Cameron Peck, want a low rpm set up for city driving in the Chicago area in the early 50's. Note : the steering column is from a Springfield, Mass built Roll's Phantom , hence the left hand drive.
Bret M
PS The four pots, manifold, & linkage were restored TIm Pedergrass.

PPS. The Ulrich bros. work for a time as mechanics for Cameron Peck while he was amassing his car collection. Peck purchased one of Bugatti Royals. I do believe it was the yellow & black "Berline de Voyage''. Also the car was in posession of the Bugatti family at the time of purchase... The car was shipped to Boston,during the winter, were the Ulrich bros, team drove it to Chicago. I asked Hal about its driving impression." Smooth power, fast, & one negative .That huge straight eight puttting out lots of btus, but none of it for the driver. Only the passenger compartment got the heat." Hal. as per conversation with Hal Sept. 2001.

The " Ulrich Hot Rod" was raced at Studebaker Proving Grounds in a road course sanctioned by SCCA.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

• West Peterson
More
01 May 2007 14:39 #6947 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
There's a 1932 Packard convertible coupe in the Pacific Northwest that has a Duesenberg J engine in it. It's nicknamed Packenberg.

More
19 Jun 2007 03:33 #7249 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
I found the info I was looking for.

The first car I referred to in my earlier post was in fact J-113 and it was owned in the 50's by a fellow named Al Sterkin of Pacific Palisades California. I have scanned an image of a correspondence I have in my posession, from ACD Historian Ray Wolff to Sterkin dated June 1962, asking about the disposition of the car, and the reply from Sterkin that the car was sold to "Space Associates, a travel agency near the LA Airport", and Nate Derus (my dad) bought some extra parts that were available.

If someone can tell me how to include the scanned image I will be glad to do so.

Steve Derus

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
19 Jun 2007 04:12 #7250 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic:

steve derus wrote: I found the info I was looking for.

If someone can tell me how to include the scanned image I will be glad to do so.

Steve Derus

Full instructions are in the PICTURE GALLERY.

Time to create page: 0.063 seconds